The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"Is this a good idea?"

Idea threads

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Hi there!

So you've made a post asking whether or not we here believe your idea to be worth pursuing.

Maybe you're thinking about creating the 'Uber for Pet-Sitting.'

Maybe it's a new vegan barbecue sauce recipe you think people will love.

Maybe you want to help restaurants organize their business and begin franchising their brand.

Who knows! Whatever you've come up with.

Here's the secret about your idea.

This might strike you as counterintuitive.

Your idea is not a bad idea.

Your idea is not a good idea.

Your idea is a MAYBE idea!

Allow me to explain.

____

Let's think of AirBnB. The app that lets you set whatever price you want to lend your apartment out to someone who just might ransack the place or steal everything you own.

On paper - horrible idea and a nightmare for insurance/liability issues!

What if someone walks out with my couch? What if my tenants set the place on fire? Who pays for the noise complaint citation if they throw a party?

In practice - multi billion dollar startup.

Why?

BECAUSE THE EXECUTION WAS AMAZING.

____

The AirBnB team didn't sit around for weeks, calling different entrepreneurs, mentors, advisors, forums, asking if they thought if their idea was worth pursuing.

The guys at Uber didn't sit around calling all of their friends to find out if they would use a new taxi service.

What did they do?

They got out the door and started asking their customers!

____

Don't ask us whether your idea is worth pursuing or not.

The best we can give you is a firm maybe, because there ARE NO MILLION DOLLAR IDEAS. There is only million dollar execution.

Confused on how to validate your ideas? Have a few methods I've collected with the help of the forum.

1. The Andy Black Method - Seriously, go read this guy's post history. Yes, all of it. There's a lot of fantastic information on how you can use Google AdWords to validate your market with a little time, and a little cash.

2. The Ask Method - Based on the book of the same name by Ryan Levesque, the Ask method works on identifying the needs of your audience with a short series of surveys. Best if you already have an email list.

3. The Lean Method - Simple. What is your product? What is the single most basic function of your product? Build that, get it to your target market, and let a small number of people tell you what improvements they would like to make. (Ex. Read into how Twitter got started.)

4. The Foundation Method - One of the most direct, but also time consuming, methods out there. Identify a market you want to improve, call everyone in the market you can find and ask where their pain points are. Once you find a trend, develop a solution, and let people pre-order it. Lots of pre-orders = validated idea.

When you make posts like this, you're simply feeding your "Busy Work Monster" under your desk, and waiting for us to give you the green light so you can feel safe when you execute.

That's not going to happen.

Adurite.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
Thanks for putting this together. As someone new to the forum and in the process of creating my own fastlane business, I'm definitely going to do some heavy research into Andy Black's post history and take some notes.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
How about an Uber for only elderly people (doctor/store/etc) and call it.... GUBER :)

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Thanks for putting this together. As someone new to the forum and in the process of creating my own fastlane business, I'm definitely going to do some heavy research into Andy Black's post history and take some notes.

Absolutely man. Welcome, and I hope you enjoy! There's a LOT to be learned here if you're willing to do a little digging for it.

Rumor has it that there's even *higher* quality stuff once you join the Inside. Call it an investment and dive in, I'll be joining soon myself!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.