The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is there a good course on FB ads?

Marketing, social media, advertising

momomaurice

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Apr 24, 2017
Ireland
Just wondering does anyone know of a good course where I could improve my Facebook ads? I think I'm just pissing money down the drain making fb ads now.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
Hey @momomaurice,

Did you check out Facebook's course on advertising HERE?

Also, this Udemy course HERE looks good.

All in all, learning the fundamentals will help you improve.

Let me know if these help, thanks.

momomaurice

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Apr 24, 2017
Ireland
Hey @momomaurice,

Did you check out Facebook's course on advertising HERE?

Also, this Udemy course HERE looks good.

All in all, learning the fundamentals will help you improve.

Let me know if these help, thanks.

Thanks for the reply. I tried the fb one but I found it very boring and confusing. I seen the Udemy course but I thought for 9.99 it wouldn't be good, I'll get the Udemy one and give it a go.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018

momomaurice

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Apr 24, 2017
Ireland

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
Thanks, very good video. So Facebook just tries to squeeze as much money out of people. That was 4 years ago, is it still the same?

I'm not sure if that has changed. You will have to do your research. I watched the video some time ago and it stuck with me. If you do research it to ascertain if it is still that way, be sure to let us know. I'm curious. FB ads are not relevant to my venture at the moment.

aminmo

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
481%
Jan 2, 2018
United States
Perhaps this video might explain why your money on FB ads is not yielding the expected results?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVfHeWTKjag

Let me know what you think.

There's 2 things wrong with your post.

First off, the premise behind your post really grinds my gears. Why would you link a video like this when YOU personally don't have any experience with Facebook ads? I see people like you all the time on Reddit and other forums giving out advice when they don't know what they're talking about. I mean, you aren't technically giving advice, but the wrong information could end up negatively affecting the OP in the long run.

Second, the premise behind the video is ridiculous. Yes, Facebook still doesn't really have a system to weed out fake likes or accounts... but why in the hell would anyone pay for likes? That's literally paying for a metric that has no worth to your bottom line. The only benefit it could potentially have is building social proof, but you'll get more valuable likes organically through regular paid ads on Facebook (that are focused around conversions or link clicks).

Here's the thing: The way Facebook works is that they group certain users into specific segments based on what actions they take. If a certain group of users are more inclined to engage with ads/posts, then they're grouped under the "engagement" segment. If a certain group of users click a lot of links in ads/posts, they'll be grouped under the "link clicks" segment. And if a certain group of users tend to buy a lot of products off Facebook, they'll be grouped under the "purchase" segment. Depending on which ad objective you choose, Facebook will show your ad to the corresponding "segment" of users (naturally, the higher level objective segments of users are going to be more expensive). So if I were to run an ad with the engagement objective, my ad will be primarily shown to people who engage with ads but not to people who'll necessarily buy the product I have to offer. Similarly, if you pay for page likes, you'll only show your page to people who have a history of liking a buncha pages (as in, you'll be showing your page to people who have a history of taking actions that are eerily similar to what a "click farm" bot would be doing).

Hopefully I'm making sense here.

Anyway, Facebook is still a viable platform for advertising. Facebook rewards good ads (as in, ads with good metrics for whatever objective you're optimizing for), while punishing bad ads. If someone hasn't made money using Facebook ads, then it means that either their product/service isn't fit for Facebook, or their advertising is whack and Facebook is punishing them for not creating good content (Facebook values users above advertisers).

And I say all this as someone who's made over $1-million in the past year using Facebook and Instagram as my sole advertising platforms.

P.S. I apologize if I come off as rude. I just don't like it when people give out advice without realizing how detrimental that advice could be.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC

First off, the premise behind your post really grinds my gears. Why would you link a video like this when YOU personally don't have any experience with Facebook ads? I see people like you all the time on Reddit and other forums giving out advice when they don't know what they're talking about. I mean, you aren't technically giving advice, but the wrong information could end up negatively affecting the OP in the long run.

Second, the premise behind the video is ridiculous. Yes, Facebook still doesn't really have a system to weed out fake likes or accounts... but why in the hell would anyone pay for likes? That's literally paying for a metric that has no worth to your bottom line. The only benefit it could potentially have is building social proof, but you'll get more valuable likes organically through regular paid ads on Facebook (that are focused around conversions or link clicks).

Here's the thing: The way Facebook works is that they group certain users into specific segments based on what actions they take. If a certain group of users are more inclined to engage with ads/posts, then they're grouped under the "engagement" segment. If a certain group of users click a lot of links in ads/posts, they'll be grouped under the "link clicks" segment. And if a certain group of users tend to buy a lot of products off Facebook, they'll be grouped under the "purchase" segment. Depending on which ad objective you choose, Facebook will show your ad to the corresponding "segment" of users (naturally, the higher level objective segments of users are going to be more expensive). So if I were to run an ad with the engagement objective, my ad will be primarily shown to people who engage with ads but not to people who'll necessarily buy the product I have to offer. Similarly, if you pay for page likes, you'll only show your page to people who have a history of liking a buncha pages (as in, you'll be showing your page to people who have a history of taking actions that are eerily similar to what a "click farm" bot would be doing).

Anyway, Facebook is still a viable platform for advertising. Facebook rewards good ads (as in, ads with good metrics for whatever objective you're optimizing for), while punishing bad ads. If someone hasn't made money using Facebook ads, then it means that either their product/service isn't fit for Facebook, or their advertising is whack and Facebook is punishing them for not creating good content (Facebook values users above advertisers).

And I say all this as someone who's made over $1-million in the past year using Facebook and Instagram as my sole advertising platforms.

P.S. I apologize if I come off as rude. I just don't like when people give out advice without realizing how detrimental that advice could be.

This made perfect sense. Thanks for sharing. That’s the gist of it, segments and how they’re grouped.

momomaurice

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Apr 24, 2017
Ireland

P.S. I apologize if I come off as rude. I just don't like it when people give out advice without realizing how detrimental that advice could be.

How did you learn about Facebook ads?

aminmo

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
481%
Jan 2, 2018
United States
How did you learn about Facebook ads?

All I did was read up on all the documentation Facebook has regarding their ad platform. Then, it was just a matter of trial and error, and testing things out with my own money.

One important thing to remember is that Facebook is just another platform / tool. Basically, if you already know the fundamentals of marketing / advertising / copywriting, all you really need to do is translate that over to Facebook ads. The strategies that have worked in direct mail will also work on Facebook (although it may need a bit tweaking depending on the product and audience).

So, if you don't already know the fundamentals of proven marketing & advertising, learn that first. Then, and only then, should you focus on learning about how to use Facebook's ad platform.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018

I shared the video because it was made by a person I deem to be a good thinker and whose analysis of FB ads I appreciated. You're right that I wasn't giving advice, but I was merely sharing the video as it could potentially offer an explanation of the OP's experience. I was intentionally careful to not assert that FB ads is futile or to avoid it by using the word 'perhaps'. If the video has any truth in it, persons who are using FB ads should be privy to that information to shape their understanding of how things work so as to make informed decisions. That pretty much sums up my intentions.

That said, thank you for sharing your knowledge which has proven effective.

HelpAndProsper

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 1, 2018
Boston
I shared the video because it was made by a person I deem to be a good thinker and whose analysis of FB ads I appreciated. You're right that I wasn't giving advice, but I was merely sharing the video as it could potentially offer an explanation of the OP's experience. I was intentionally careful to not assert that FB ads is futile or to avoid it by using the word 'perhaps'. If the video has any truth in it, persons who are using FB ads should be privy to that information to shape their understanding of how things work so as to make informed decisions. That pretty much sums up my intentions.

That said, thank you for sharing your knowledge which has proven effective.

There was nothing wrong with your post. Unfortunately, I've found it's part of the culture here to rip people and be unnecessarily rude. Not sure why, but that seems to be the case with some posters. Absolutely nothing wrong with your post.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
There was nothing wrong with your post. Unfortunately, I've found it's part of the culture here to rip people and be unnecessarily rude. Not sure why, but that seems to be the case with some posters. Absolutely nothing wrong with your post.

Thank you for the reassurance. Much appreciated.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.