The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is it worth the time and effort to learn web developing ?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Emilezgheib

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 28, 2019
Beirut, Lebanon
Hey guys, I'm a hospitality and tourism graduate living in Lebanon, and for the obvious reason of everything being digitalized these days, I set out to take online web developing courses, however, after reviewing several basic pages and their code source, I realized that what I'm looking at and what I'm learning are way off.
I know I'm still fresh and need a lot of practice, but is it worth it ? or should I just give my idea to a developer instead of loosing all the time learning how to code my own web/app ?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Developer will want money (unless in Lebanon there are still devs who do it for equity). So you are a bit off if you think that developer will gladly jump on idea on equity share alone.

Brewmacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
Hey guys, I'm a hospitality and tourism graduate living in Lebanon, and for the obvious reason of everything being digitalized these days, I set out to take online web developing courses, however, after reviewing several basic pages and their code source, I realized that what I'm looking at and what I'm learning are way off.
I know I'm still fresh and need a lot of practice, but is it worth it ? or should I just give my idea to a developer instead of loosing all the time learning how to code my own web/app ?

What do you want to build? Simple Website? Web Application? Mobile App? All the above? How many features do you need built in? Will you be dealing with people's private data? How secure must your product be against hackers? Online payments? etc.

In truth is your question is too far too vague to give you any type answer i'm afraid.

Maybe if you give it 2-3 months of actually trying to learn programming, instead asking this question after looking at the first few pages, you can answer your own questions and have the ability to understand somewhat what you intend to spend you cash on.

For now i would say, if you have loads of cash pay someone to do it. When someone gives you a quote then triple it and that is how much you will pay in the end.
If you have no cash, be prepared for months of hard work, struggle, time-wasted, failure, frustration and a very limited social life.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
What would you do with all the spare time? If your answer is playing video games and having fun, then maybe it is worth it to learn yourself and develop the skillset. But if you are doing other high value tasks, then it makes sense to outsource it immediately.

Emilezgheib

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 28, 2019
Beirut, Lebanon
What would you do with all the spare time? If your answer is playing video games and having fun, then maybe it is worth it to learn yourself and develop the skillset. But if you are doing other high value tasks, then it makes sense to outsource it immediately.
I hate video game actually, but I think I'd learn some other needed skill, one that is less complicated than coding and developing, to profit from. But i don't think i'll give up on coding for good, i'm gonna keep at it at a steady pace and see where it leads me.

Val Okafor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Nov 14, 2015
San Diego, CA
Keep learning, if you want to become a Web developer, keep learning. If you want to build an app, keep learning but hire someone to build it. Its easier to understand proposals and deliverables if you know more than the basics.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Aamof, there's another way - find investor, pay developer with those money and split equity with just investor. Harder but possible. You'd get less shares but its better than having nothing.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
@Icecreamchild is there some reason you leave a laughing face on tons of posts instead of actually adding anything of value yourself?

Ive seen you do this on a bunch of threads.

Strikes me as kinda weird.

Alfie321

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 29, 2016

I'd vote no.

The reasoning behind is, judging by what your wrote, you are just doing it "cause".

What's the point of learning web development? What's your time frame ? Unfortunately i don't see any of this. Is it worth it? I'd say, it depends. Worth for what plan exactly ?

If you just want to make money as a developer then yeah, it's worth it. The question i'd ask myself is do I know where, why and in which position i want to work or do i just want some work ?

I'm the first to say you can get hired in less than a year by a great company, but that comes at the price of total focus. Now, would you be able to do it if your reason behind is because "everything being digitalized these days" ? In a few months you might just bounce to something else that is "digitalized" like ads management. My suggestion is to have a clear vision of what you want to accomplish.

Best,

Thinh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Aug 11, 2018
Don't learn to code. You're 20 years too late.

If it's to build a website or an app, in 2020 there's plenty of ways to do it easily without knowing code (check out Build & operate businesses without code | Makerpad).

The gist is: if you think you need to learn to code before starting your project, you're probably starting off the wrong foot. There's very few reasons not to start a project asap and not knowing how to code definitely isn't one of them.

Art Vandelay

Avocado Fan
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jun 15, 2020
The Internet
Don't learn to code. You're 20 years too late.

If it's to build a website or an app, in 2020 there's plenty of ways to do it easily without knowing code (check out Build & operate businesses without code | Makerpad).

The gist is: if you think you need to learn to code before starting your project, you're probably starting off the wrong foot. There's very few reasons not to start a project asap and not knowing how to code definitely isn't one of them.
I would disagree. No-code is crap, honestly.

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
It's worth the time and effort to learn a skill or set of skills.

Whether or not it's web development depends on your interests, inclinations, ability, etc.

Other possible skills that can be useful to you include coding, sales (ancillary skills include speaking and writing), paid ads, or people/leadership skills. Hard/objective skills are easier to learn and monetize quickly, less so for the "soft" skills like people, which can potentially be worth more in the long run, but not the short run.

Only you can answer what will be best for you.

All have their pluses and minuses, so give anything a fair shot before moving to something else, but there's something you will likely gravitate towards.

Thinh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Aug 11, 2018
I would disagree. No-code is crap, honestly.
Could you elaborate?

I have 12 years of coding experience, I'm fullstack + devops, and if I had to start a new project right now, I'd probably choose no-code first (except for a super specific, complex project, but then that would make me suspicious of my own idea).

Art Vandelay

Avocado Fan
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jun 15, 2020
The Internet
Could you elaborate?

I have 12 years of coding experience, I'm fullstack + devops, and if I had to start a new project right now, I'd probably choose no-code first (except for a super specific, complex project, but then that would make me suspicious of my own idea).

I apologize, that was a shit comment from my part.

Let me re-angle it and create a more productive conversation:

From someone like yourself with 12 years of coding experience, do you feel coding is still a worthwhile skill to learn and invest time in for someone with little coding experience?

Thinh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Aug 11, 2018
It's good to know how to code, there's no doubt about it.
But I wouldn't recommend doing it for the sake of doing it , unless your goal is to become a professional developer (be it in a startup or as a freelance). Or if you happen to enjoy it. Then by all means go. That's what happened with me. I actually didn't want to learn to code, I just needed it for a business I wanted to create, and I found I enjoyed it, so I continued.

Usually people's main purpose is to develop an app or a website. It's good to know the basics, and a bit more (html / css / js and some backend language, with a good sense of how servers works).

But to be honest, I have a bit of regret, I wish I had spent more time learning some other skills (soft ones), networking, and just more importantly getting to the market quickly, rather than hacking away at my computer.

And that's why I like no-code: it's usually the quickest way to get a product into the hand of the market.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.