The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is it worth it to pay for someone to redo my resume?

D

Deleted50669

If you're going the JOB route a CV alone isn't gonna cut it for the good gigs. Need to have additional proof of worth like a website with personal work portfolio, or pdf samples of work / results that augment what the CV claims. Need to basically get the gatekeeper to see no need in looking at anyone else's CV based on their confidence in yours.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
For the benefit of myself and others - was the advice I provided earlier in the thread true based on your experience as a recruiter?
Hello, my name is Shelton Louis I wanted to let you see my resume to see if I did it right. I have no real work experience, but I do work as a janitor for my Uncle. I don't think it's worth it to write down my work as a janitor because it wasn't official work just a favor. I tried to get a job as a cashier, clerk or any other shit jobs that don't involve being in a fast food restaurant but no luck. As a janitor, I cleaned windows, mopped floors, scraped walls, rolled garbage up a ramp, cleaned leaves, and even cleaned up snow. But these things are just generalities. I also have no achievements.

The question is do I just leave it like this or do I make something up.

Attachments

• Shelton Louis Resume.docx
    16.8 KB · Views: 3

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
If by bullshit you mean lies. I 100% agree. However I do have a soft spot for "marketing facts" (200% instead of 2x, for example, or using odd numbers to seem more realistic, etc...)

You may have spotted the marketing speak quickly and easily but another hiring firm could have easily said "how in the hell did she manage a million pieces of inventory?!?!". There's just as many dumb work seekers are there are dumb work providers :)

And ultimately, I'd still prefer to see unimpressive or "marketing" spins on a resume than job duties. Job duties are always 100% unimpressive. Someone may spot the bullshit when someone says they managed a million pieces of inventory but it's a hell of a lot nicer than saying "Kept track of a warehouse full of nuts and bolts".
Most people can't write a resume. I mean like 90+% if I had to pull a number out of my a$$.

I've received jobs I had no logical right to have on account of my resume kicking a$$ and me being able to kill it in an interview.

Let me give you some tips that will put you ahead of 90% of other people (in my opinion - this isn't the "only" way, just a damn good way):

- Remove your street address, keep the city. If two people are equally qualified they are likely to choose the closer one. If your address is ambiguous and you're a final candidate they'll try to remember you, not your location.
- Put a summary at the top, 2-3 sentences, that explains how the awesome sh*t you've done in the past applies to the new company. Not that you need a job, or want to gain experience, or you think you're a valuable cog. I mean real achievements, bold statements, and proof of why to hire you. What you've done in the past and/or what you want to do for this company. The words "hard working" and "go getter" and similar nonsense fluff should not appear here.
- Kill all job descriptions from your resume. I mean it. Everyone knows that a f*cking barista serves coffee. You don't need to list points like "served coffee" "interacted with customers" "made drinks" "cleaned up" "opened store" "closed store". That's bullshit. Every point on your resume should be an achievement and preferably quantified to the best of your ability. sh*t like "served 150 people per hour, 40% more than the next best barista" and "implemented a change in service that decreased spilled beverages by 12%" and "employee of the month 7 times in the last year". Those are "wow, this guy knows his sh*t" bullet points. Compare that to Mr. I-Served-Coffee's resume.
- Put your most important and impressive achievement first for each previous company on your resume.
- One page. Unless you are a world record holder in kicking a$$, your resume is 1 page. One.
- Every word needs to fight for the right to be on that page. This relates to the above point. Simple. Word. Choices. No redundancies or fancy lingo or "business speak". Don't fluff sh*t up or blow smoke up asses. The words on the page should be connecting the numbers together or explaining an achievement in the fewest logical words. Little else.
- Put your linkedin url if your linkedin is very good and follows most of what I said above. Add an email and a phone number.
- Education goes at the bottom and limit it to your degree, school and year graduated. Nobody cares what you did in school. Nobody. No, really.

If you can follow the above you're ahead of most people. The rest is simple - keep the resume clean, consistence, use one tense throughout, etc...

Also, if you put hobbies and interests on your resume I don't think we can be friends anymore.
I've been trying to apply for many jobs in new york but I keep getting rejected i tried to do what you said to do but i wont get hired. I'm having trouble turning my experience as a sales representative into an achievement that appeals to many companies. could you look at my resume to see what the problem is? I tried going to Walgreens and staples and other retail places but they won't take me

Attachments

• Shelton Louis resume.docx
    35.3 KB · Views: 6

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Bump.

Even if you ain't doing a CV now (which I have to now, because my business school is asking for it to prep letters for internships), this is a good resource to look to when you are on the other side of the table. :smile2:

But I often wonder about references....do the HR/job agencies actually check them thoroughly, from end to end? Or they just let their OWN interns do that stuff on their own? :(

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.