The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is it me or is Entrepreneurship a Mixture of this?

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
I feel excitement, fear, happiness, self-doubt, see lots of obstacles but see lots of opportunities too at the same time...Is this the feeling you guys have too? Is it the state Entrepreneur is and thrives in? Or am I :coco:?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
It's a constant up and down feeling. One moment you feel like you're on to something great and the possibilities are endless; the next moment you encounter difficulty like for instance your project is either not working or has hit a rough patch and you feel terrible; there's also the constant threat of competition. I think those who can handle this up and down feeling for many years will succeed eventually.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
From my experience, the ups and downs are normal. However, after time, the amazing ups come after conquering a challenge. The feeling that you lost the handle, the lows, don't come as often and don't last as long. Keep your focus and you will be OK.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
I get those feelings, but then I just remember, it takes a lot of time and patients. If it was easy everyone would do it. Like others have said, its being the person who battles through that that makes it big.

EdwardWhite

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Feb 27, 2011
Fort Worth, Texas
I been having a rollercoaster of feelings also. The other day I felt like my back was against the wall, but free at the very same time. It was quite bizzare.

What I mean in detail, was when I had a moment like in that movie Office space after the main guy got hypnotized. While I didn't do nothing for the entire day, I had that sense, where I didn't think much about my day job, and felt very free and productive. The next moment, I felt like I was afraid about how my job getting harder and harder, as I get closer to my launch of my business(which doesn't mean money coming in).

Its I guess dealing with the unknown too. But that when the best comes out of a person

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
I don't think I would change this state into average daily routine... Normal is easy but boring..

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
I feel excitement, fear, happiness, self-doubt, see lots of obstacles but see lots of opportunities too at the same time...Is this the feeling you guys have too? Is it the state Entrepreneur is and thrives in? Or am I :coco:?

From my limited reading, the emotions seem to be different for everybody. What I've noticed is that the one common denominator that all successful entrepreneurs have is the uncanny ability to sell their product or service to anybody.

Best regards.

MikeC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
It definitely is a mixture of that. But I think that everything in life is a series of ups and downs. Even if you had a nice "secure" job right now, I'm sure there would be other areas in life that caused the up and down emotional sensation.

The ups in entrepreneurship are just so much better than the other ups.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
It definitely is a mixture of that. But I think that everything in life is a series of ups and downs. Even if you had a nice "secure" job right now, I'm sure there would be other areas in life that caused the up and down emotional sensation.

The ups in entrepreneurship are just so much better than the other ups.

Well, yeah life is always a roller coaster but I guess we entrepreneurs take deeper dives and higher jumps... That's why not everyone succeeds as entrepreneur probably.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
After 20 Years all I can say is,

An entrepreneur is just like being bi-polar, without being bi-polar...

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
I liken it to the rush of working on something or developing something new then you realize your product isn’t really ALL that special then you hit the trough mentally, but that’s what separates successful people from the rest of the crowd; they make it through the trough and up to the peak.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
I liken it to the rush of working on something or developing something new then you realize your product isn’t really ALL that special then you hit the trough mentally, but that’s what separates successful people from the rest of the crowd; they make it through the trough and up to the peak.

Exactly. Most people will quit after one or two times of experiencing the low moments of entrepreneurship; everyone can handle the high moments and enjoy them but very few people can take the frequent down or "trough" moments. I recall reading somewhere that the average self-made millionaire tried several different businesses or strategies to become wealthy before finally hitting the right one. If you start earlier in life, like teens or early twenties, then you can fail many times and finally succeed by the time you're in your thirties. If you start in your thirties you'll probably become wealthy sometime in your fourties. It's a safe bet that if you keep trying and applying new strategies for a decade that you will succeed. If you quit after one or two years of trying then you won't.

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
well me personally, I experience quite a bit of fear. fear of ending up on skid row, fear of lettin' myself down, fear of making my girl struggle because of me...etc etc.

But I honestly believe fear is good, it makes you survive, it makes you fight. Fear is definitely the gasoline to your car.

What I'm trying to say is, I believe almost every entrepreneur experience the same general feelings, especially fear.

Self doubt is definitely there in all of us too, but it's most likely due to the fact that, in today's society, being an entrepreneur is generally looked upon as 'crazy'. you have to be 'crazy' to give up everything to try and create something of value, or you're 'crazy' because you're pursuing these millions of dollars that, for some reason, you have to be 'lucky' to achieve. So sometimes those thoughts can slither their ways into our mindest in our most vulnerable of times.

sorry to ramble and to answer the question, I believe these are the things that entrepreneurs thrive in, it's just fuel for the fastlaners!

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
well me personally, I experience quite a bit of fear. fear of ending up on skid row, fear of lettin' myself down, fear of making my girl struggle because of me...etc etc.

But I honestly believe fear is good, it makes you survive, it makes you fight. Fear is definitely the gasoline to your car.

What I'm trying to say is, I believe almost every entrepreneur experience the same general feelings, especially fear.

Self doubt is definitely there in all of us too, but it's most likely due to the fact that, in today's society, being an entrepreneur is generally looked upon as 'crazy'. you have to be 'crazy' to give up everything to try and create something of value, or you're 'crazy' because you're pursuing these millions of dollars that, for some reason, you have to be 'lucky' to achieve. So sometimes those thoughts can slither their ways into our mindest in our most vulnerable of times.

sorry to ramble and to answer the question, I believe these are the things that entrepreneurs thrive in, it's just fuel for the fastlaners!

Nice post.. I'm getting more scared as time goes by. But the only thing that matters is results. If I try and do it and fail my fear was truth but if I succeed then fears were just an obstacle to overcome..

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.