The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is everything "entertainment" a waste of time?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
Well. My fastlane is audio books entertainment. I know how to sell this and I know I can make money. But is entertainment bad? Is it selling something of no value. Something which is just meaningless and wastes peoples time. Or do you get something out of it? That holds up the wasted time.

Bascially, is there any value in entertainment? I know most people here think TV is bad. But is it really? Depends on what you watch, right? Soap operas are not a good way to spend a lot of time on in my opinion. But, what about Seinfeld? Or Friends?

Well. I got thinking about this again. Because NinjaKid said in another thread that TV is a waste and it turns your brain in to a vegetable?

I don't watch much TV now a days. And I sort of agree with that.
But would you guys consider humorous audio books a waste of time too?

Bascially, when are you not wasting your time?

I really just want to create value and not just make money for the sake of making money.

That's why I want to hear what some of you guys have to say about this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tyler K

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jul 25, 2014
United States
I'm in no way successful or even close to it but everyone needs entertainment, everyone has different forms for some they watch TV, others they go hiking, others do drugs everyone has something they do to be entertained. If you're asking if the industry itself is bad I don't think it is as people are always looking for new fun things to experience.

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)
Entertainment is not a waste of time. The real problem is that it can be addicting, and for most people it is. In another thread I measured how many hours I spent watching my favorite TV series... the amount startled me. I could've built an Empire!
With that said, the brain NEEDS its off time. It needs a daily vacation. Twenty minutes of TV will not kill your brain. OR twenty minutes of BS on social media.
I am a professional escapist, I enjoy pulp literature. Stuff with tentacled monsters or hard-boiled detectives. I read several pulp magazines, and I love entertaining my brain with those. When I read them, I truly feel like I am on Mars or fighting gangs in Chicago.
Entertainment is useful, it might let your mind fly, pushing your own intellectual envelope. Yet, it is something to be careful about.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Everything in moderation.

At least that's the way I look at it. Like you, I've seen every episode of Seinfeld and Friends (probably more than once.) I don't try to pretend that watching them is an objectively better use of time than watching keeping up with the Kardashians. Everyone has their time-sinks.

Also, I've noticed a lot of people on this forum like to talk big about "I don't do ANYTHING except work on my business." Most of these kids are full of shit and are trying to pretend they are just like MJ. That's not to say that people on here don't know how to hustle and work hard.

In my mind if you work hard from 8 PM to midnight getting shit done, not just being an action faker, and then want to watch Netflix for an hour, go for it. If you were actually accomplishing shit in those 4 hours, and not just pretending, who is anyone to tell you what you should or shouldn't do to relax. The problem is when people start watching TV or playing video games and never actually getting anything done.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
Entertainment is not a waste of time. The real problem is that it can be addicting, and for most people it is. In another thread I measured how many hours I spent watching my favorite TV series... the amount startled me. I could've built an Empire!
With that said, the brain NEEDS its off time. It needs a daily vacation. Twenty minutes of TV will not kill your brain. OR twenty minutes of BS on social media.
I am a professional escapist, I enjoy pulp literature. Stuff with tentacled monsters or hard-boiled detectives. I read several pulp magazines, and I love entertaining my brain with those. When I read them, I truly feel like I am on Mars or fighting gangs in Chicago.
Entertainment is useful, it might let your mind fly, pushing your own intellectual envelope. Yet, it is something to be careful about.
Thanks for your quick reply. Yeah. I am just going to produce a two hour audio book. That's as long or a little longer than most movies. I think that's fair. I don't want people to waste 16 hours or so on what I have. And then, two months later release another 16 hour audio book to milk my audience. And so on. This is just going to be a one time thing.

And as you say. Too much ain't too good.

But it's also good that I can get another perspective on this. That entertainment can give you something and be a quite positive influence on you.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
Everything in moderation.

At least that's the way I look at it. Like you, I've seen every episode of Seinfeld and Friends (probably more than once.) I don't try to pretend that watching them is an objectively better use of time than watching keeping up with the Kardashians. Everyone has their time-sinks.

Also, I've noticed a lot of people on this forum like to talk big about "I don't do ANYTHING except work on my business." Most of these kids are full of shit and are trying to pretend they are just like MJ. That's not to say that people on here don't know how to hustle and work hard.

In my mind if you work hard from 8 PM to midnight getting shit done, not just being an action faker, and then want to watch Netflix for an hour, go for it. If you were actually accomplishing shit in those 4 hours, and not just pretending, who is anyone to tell you what you should or shouldn't do to relax. The problem is when people start watching TV or playing video games and never actually getting anything done.
Thanks for your post. Yeah. I agree with your opinion on people on this forum. Probably why I worry a little. Because most people here think TV and such is a waste of time.

While in the general population... it could be a relaxation after work or so. Or something like that.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
I'm in no way successful or even close to it but everyone needs entertainment, everyone has different forms for some they watch TV, others they go hiking, others do drugs everyone has something they do to be entertained. If you're asking if the industry itself is bad I don't think it is as people are always looking for new fun things to experience.
Thanks for this post. Somehow I missed this one. Yes. I am more of a movie guy myself. Than reading fiction books and so on. But that's just me.

Edit: Yeah. I was kind of wondering if members here thought the industry was bad. That you dumb down the population in some way by releasing entertainment. Or something like that.

Last edited:

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
Value is relative in my eyes. If your stuff makes other people happy, you are providing value.

Are energy drinks good for you? Nope. But I still drink them and feel like Monster is providing me with value; otherwise, I wouldn't pay for it.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Value is relative in my eyes. If your stuff makes other people happy, you are providing value.

Are energy drinks good for you? Nope. But I still drink them and feel like Monster is providing me with value; otherwise, I wouldn't pay for it.
For some reason.. Even when I drink 2 monsters.. I don't feel different.. I don't feel it at all... It's weird.. Same thing with coffee..

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
For some reason.. Even when I drink 2 monsters.. I don't feel different.. I don't feel it at all... It's weird.. Same thing with coffee..

Used to be the case for me as well.. I was just having too much caffeine.. at least an energy drink a day + 2 scoops of a pre-workout..

It's also why I would wake up every morning with a light headache. Maybe this isn't the case with you, but I had to take a break for about 10 days. After the 3rd day the withdrawal headaches were gone, but I kept it going just because. If I have caffeine in moderate daily doses I notice a significant difference when I have some, especially in the morning on an empty stomach.

Logan.H

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jun 29, 2014
Entertainment is valuable and not a waste of time.

Take avatar: the last Airbender/legend of Korra for example. There is a deeper meaning than entertainment. For little kids, it's something cool to watch and is funny at times. But, for teenagers and twenty year olds who grew up watching it, the problems the characters face relate to them.

"There's nothing wrong with a life peace and prosperity. I suggest you think about what it is that you want from life, and why." - Uncle Iroh to his teenage nephew.

Nevertheless, not all entertainment gives out life advice.

Edit : my fastlane is entertainment, too

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
Are you understanding the concept of value correctly?

The value you provide is not in what you sell, but in what NEEDS it can fulfill for the SPECIFIC, UNIQUE customer.
People have different needs than YOU!
Average Joe doesn't care that you want to create value for the world. He just wants to listen to an audio book and is going to give his $4.99 to whomever can provide that for him.

Blatantly scamming customers is the only way to provide no value. Other than that as long as you're filling someone's PERSONALIZED NEEDS, you're providing value to THEM. Get cash in return.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
Are you understanding the concept of value correctly?

The value you provide is not in what you sell, but in what NEEDS it can fulfill for the SPECIFIC, UNIQUE customer.
People have different needs than YOU!
Average Joe doesn't care that you want to create value for the world. He just wants to listen to an audio book and is going to give his $4.99 to whomever can provide that for him.

Blatantly scamming customers is the only way to provide no value. Other than that as long as you're filling someone's PERSONALIZED NEEDS, you're providing value to THEM. Get cash in return.
Yeah. I know what most people consider value. It's just that I want to look beyond the exchange for money.

For example.

If you create a vodka brand you may create value in some way. But you are not doing anything for the greater good as whole? As high consumption of alchool is (I would say, very bad.) bad for your body.

But when in comes down to it. Everything is almost bad in big quantities. I would feel a lot better knowning that I just totally don't destory peoples life. Because they can't control their consumption of what I created and sold to them.

So I rather create an audio book than an vodka brand.

But that's just me.

Last edited:

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Thanks for your post. Yeah. I agree with your opinion on people on this forum. Probably why I worry a little. Because most people here think TV and such is a waste of time.

While in the general population... it could be a relaxation after work or so. Or something like that.

Well I do agree that TV, video games, whatever is a waste of time.

What I don't agree with are the people that come on this forum and say "I dedicate 100% of my time towards business, no TV or any time wasters for me" and yet never actually talk about what they are doing. If these people were truly dedicating 100% of their time towards their business, 24/7, we'd have a lot more "Check out my Lamborghini!" threads. I get the feeling a lot of these people just go read EliteDaily or Business INSIDERS and consider that "working".

I've found you really have to consider the source on this forum. When I open threads, I just scan for posts from someone I know and respect JasonR, RichKid, AndrewNC, ChickenHawk, Vigilante, AllenCrawley, etc, etc, etc. If there are a bunch of posts by people I've never heard of, I generally close the thread. I'm not trying to be mean or rude about it, it's just there are a lot of people on this forum with very misguided ideas I don't agree with.

chipmx

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Sep 16, 2014
Cancun
I use to wath on demand tv, now I realize that it was a waste of time because I can invest that time in to my fastlane business, then I was watching only news because I want to know what is happening in the world, other waste of time because I really dont care, then I said well only listen news... again waist of time, now that time I can use for listen audiobook learning something new or I use to think and talk with me and analyze the situation of the bussiness, I think everyone situation is different, everybody have different goals, and everyone have different speed, you can only read on the forum and take advice of whatever you want and apply to your life or business

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Bascially, is there any value in entertainment? I know most people here think TV is bad. But is it really? Depends on what you watch, right? Soap operas are not a good way to spend a lot of time on in my opinion. But, what about Seinfeld? Or Friends?

We don't like TV because it distracts us from our main goal. Other people are not us, other people aren't trying to start a fastlane business, and you need to separate yourself from your audience.

I LOVE television, and my long-term fastlane involves producing shows for television.
Shows I currently watch: Mad Men, Being Human, SNL, Americas Got Talent, Walking Dead, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Doctor Who, New Girl, Gotham, Blacklist, Once Upon A Time, Blacklist, MANY MANY more.

Thanks for your quick reply. Yeah. I am just going to produce a two hour audio book. That's as long or a little longer than most movies. I think that's fair. I don't want people to waste 16 hours or so on what I have. And then, two months later release another 16 hour audio book to milk my audience. And so on. This is just going to be a one time thing.
Oooh. That's your problem. Congrats, you have the lowest self worth on the forum. Have a cookie.

This year, I listened to ALL of the Dresden Files that have been released so far. That's 179 hours of audiobook. And I'm UPSET that there are no more. I'm legitimately SAD that I have to wait 2 years for Jim Butcher to release another.

And because there were no more to listen to? I started listening to Mistborn series and got through the main trilogy (75 hours) and now I'm reading the side book (another 11 hours). And once that's done, I'll be downloading more of their previous releases and listening to them.

If you are ENTERTAINING your listener, don't feel bad about it. That's the value you bring.
As humans, we are story tellers. The best salesmen are story tellers, the best educators and comedians are storytellers. Never feel like you are wasting somebody's time by telling them a story.

Just do what you can to become the BEST STORY TELLER ON THE PLANET.

Take avatar: the last Airbender/legend of Korra for example.
I am SO happy avatar exists. I'm 26 and I get giddy for new episodes. One of the best animated series on television!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.