• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Is drop shipping a profitable business ?

Discussion in 'Business Models, Niches, Industries' started by pritom dey, Sep 19, 2018.

1. pritom dey

pritom dey New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $7
    Hay,
    I want to start a drop shipping business. I am new in dropshipping. Please give me some ideas.

2. Out of Touch

Out of Touch Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $530
    It is indeed a profitable business...
    for your suppliers.

Why don't you manufacture and sell your own product? You'll have more control and you won't have to worry about breaking even in an oversaturated and outdated business model.

3. GoGetter24

GoGetter24 Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,783
    ^ Don't have to swing for the fences the first time you pick up a bat.

Even if the dropshipping only pays breakeven, it'll give you half of the experience required to sell your own products.

4. ChrisV

ChrisV Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $13,083
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    smark and Out of Touch like this.
  5. Out of Touch

Rep Bank:
    $530
    Why not just put in the effort and get the full experience in the first place?

6. smark

smark Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,045
  7. GoGetter24

GoGetter24 Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,783
    Have you done so?

If there's 6 things that can go wrong instead of 3 the chances of failure are much higher. Once you've nailed 3 of them, now you can do the full thing with better odds of success.

LauraCort and Neng Her like this.
  8. Timmy C

Timmy C I Will Not Stop! Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,224
    profitable hell yeh, for you def not... also violates control....entry...need... just to name a few...

9. Timmy C

Timmy C I Will Not Stop! Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,224
    so agree with this, i see drop-shipping as a complete waste of time.

Walter Hay and Out of Touch like this.
  10. Digamma

Digamma Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,574
    Why not invent a cure for cancer? Imagine how much money you will make then.

I don't mean to get into an argument here, but if someone asks if dropshipping can be profitable, they are clearly beginners. How are they supposed to take on manufacturing of a new product? How is that realistic?
    And besides that - easier to break even? You make your own product you still have to compete with those same dropshippers who only have to run ads against yours, but you need to recoup startup costs that always run double what you budgeted.

Because we're not going to the school of hard knocks to feel like we're edgy, we're trying to make money.

Man, does your usename check out.

On to dropshipping.

Of course dropshipping can make money. It is one of the easiest business models for getting started. Full disclosure: I have not personally ran dropshipping businesses, although I have been tempted to do so for a good while because it looks like a fun side project, but I do know people who do personally. Been in the trenches together, so to speak.

In my opinion the main advantages are:
    1. It teaches you super useful skills - copywriting, paid ads, testing & iteration.
    2. It can scale very well once you find something that works - you just spend more in ads (simplifying here, obviously).
    As I haven't done it personally I don't have specific advice. I just wanted to make a point about revenues and bullshit - that is, you will find gurus out there boasting huge numbers on screenshots. That's cool, but beware of people who don't specify that it is gross revenue.

Margins tend to go from 30% on the low end and more around 10% at scale. Rough numbers. I am betting there are people on this board who run stores who can swing by here and give better numbers.

These are great numbers by the way. 20% margin on a one man op that can scale? Hell yeah.

Charnell, WHY and GSF like this.
  11. Real Deal Denver

Real Deal Denver Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,151
    I am developing a drop shipping business.

I am not interested in being small time. I want to make high six figures.

I am not going to store things or ship things. I am going to RUN a business, but I am going to deliberately NOT work in the business, as much as possible anyway. Sure the startup phase will require work, and I am studying my batootie off to get as much of a grip on this as I can.

Dropshipping will cost me two dollars more per item, IF even that much. It will add less than 10% to the cost.

I can handle that. That's a good trade off for no garage start up - no working 50+ hours a week - and no worries. Then, rinse and repeat. I'm not the first or only one to do things this way. I'm late to the game, but I'm figuring out how the big boys do it. I don't mind sharing the wealth. I like that this will be on auto-pilot most of the time, after it is set up and going, and I will have a VERY capable team getting things done. It will be nice to have people work for me for a change.

How is this going to be successful? How can I possibly afford to operate at this level? My overhead will eat me ALIVE!

Um, no it won't. My overhead will be way less than $100 a month, which does not include advertising. That's like going to Vegas, first class, for only $100. Of course, the gambling losses might be severe... My advertising costs "could" be severe, but they are going to be contained. They will not be severe in any way shape or form. That's my job. Steer the ship - not row the ship.

How is this possible? Scale, scale, scale. That's the name of that game.

Get real. Ask yourself if it even *could* work. If it can't find something that will.

jack sparrow.gif

For the naysayers out there...

How about a lowly cheap product that not many people buy? A simple 50 cent mouse trap. How many of these can a company sell in a year? How many mouse traps have YOU bought in the last decade? Exactly. Not too many, right?

"Woodstream Corporation, the holding company that owns the Victor Corporation, which makes mouse and rat traps, reports its income at between $25 and $75 million per year. The rodent extermination business (which sells services, rather than traps, which are a lot less expensive) is a lot bigger. There are other companies that make traps, but Victor has most of the market in North America."

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-estimated-market-size-for-mousetraps-snap-traps-and-live-traps

RockyRambo, FastLaneUzer, SMH and 2 others like this.
  12. GSF

GSF Silver Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,796
    Ive used drop shipping, it was profitable, around 30-40% margins. I learnt new skills, was able to quickly identify profitable in demand products (one store had around 100 different products, I think 90% of my sales came from just 3 products), would have been costly importing 100 products to find 3 good ones. Had very very few refunds or complaints, lots of happy customers.

Also, one of the best success/ progress threads on this forum used drop shipping to fulfil orders doing 7 figures if I remember right. Think it was @G_Alexander thread

At the end of the day, if you sell a product to a customer, they get what they wanted and are happy with it, why does it matter how it was fulfilled?, what difference does it make if you held the stock yourself or it was sent direct from the manufacturer. Customers happy either way.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    SMH and Real Deal Denver like this.
  13. Out of Touch

Rep Bank:
    $530
    More than drop shipping. Inventing a cure for cancer and manufacturing your own product are both more profitable than drop shipping. One is just a better alternative to drop shipping, while the other is a difficult scientific and medical endeavor.
    They are on the Fastlane Forum. There is more than enough resources to learn how to effectively manufacture and sell your own product here.
    You do not have to directly compete against drop shippers if you’re selling a unique product that few people are selling. Those drop shippers are competing against themselves by using the same easy to obtain suppliers.

You are correct in terms of Startup costs. However, with the proper negotiations, you can order a sample order at a reasonable price and begin selling that way.

Those specific advantages that you listed also apply to manufacturing and selling your own product. However, allow me to list some disadvantages to drop shipping:
    1. Very hard to find unique products
    2. You will always be getting lower margins
    3. Appallingly slow shipping times
    4. Your "business" can disappear overnight on the whim of your supplier

Also saying that you don’t mean to get into an argument and posting a jab of an ad hominem is quite contradictory.
    Is Victor Corporation drop shipping their mousetraps?
    Shipping times. With the advent of Fulfilment by Amazon, customers have come to expect fast shipping times that drop shipping does not provide. Drop shippers simply cannot compete with importers/exporters in this regard.
    Logically, this is valid. However, here’s why I believe it is unsound: You are not undertaking all of those risks at once. For the sake of context let us compare ‘importing and using a fulfilment center to fulfil your orders’ against ‘drop shipping’. I’m going to assign obtaining inventory a risk value of 3 and selling your inventory an equal risk value of 3. Obviously, drop shipping negates the risk value of obtaining inventory. However, an importer only has a risk value of 3 when obtaining their inventory. It isn’t a risk value of 6. Once they successfully obtain their inventory, they will procure all of the advantages of selling their own product along with the necessary experience to repeat that process with less risk. Let’s say they develop a good relationship with their manufacturer and have the proper contacts with back up manufacturers. Their obtaining inventory risk value will fall down to 1 (part of this risk is not being able to sell your inventory) and once said inventory is obtained, they are on equal risk terms with the drop shipper for selling. Yes, 4 is still greater than 3 but that is only in terms of risks. I’ve said nothing about the potential growth value, the control value, etc. in which importing reigns supreme.
    I’ll admit that I have not yet; All the people that I have been learning from and following closely advocate against drop shipping though.(In terms of being a reliable business model).
    Feel free to argue against them.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    Francisco7 likes this.
  14. Out of Touch

Rep Bank:
    $530
    Here are a few topics with the pros and cons of drop shipping if anyone is interested:

Dropshipping vs Selling on Amazon
    Is Dropshipping Dead?
    Is Dropshipping Dead? (Not the Same Topic).

I advocated against drop shipping because it is not the method that I will be using. (Although, ironically, I learned about this site through a drop shipper). I personally think that it can be used to add products to an existing brand’s lineup but not for creating the (non-generic) brand in the first place. (Edit: I thought about this a little bit and decided that it still wouldn't be worth doing so. Those drop shipped products would still not be as advantageous as having those products manufactured on your own. The benefits are just too much in the favor of manufacturing. Even if those products were supplementary to the brand). I am well aware of the risks involved in self-manufacturing, but I also believe that the proper knowledge can mitigate those risks. Of course, knowledge is best gained through experience after all.

Well… you will not be able to convince me to become pro-drop shipping, but it was fun arguing these points!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  15. Real Deal Denver

Real Deal Denver Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,151
    Clearly you think big GSF. Every business draws its strength in different ways. Your method worked perfectly for what you were doing. Thanks for the fresh view of optimism. It can and will work, if done properly, as you have shown.

I would highly doubt they make their products here in their own factory. I would suspect that they mass produce these overseas as cheaply as possible and then {drop} ship them from the manufacturer to their distributors as the need arises.

There is no need to handle product, nor any need to warehouse it. Of course, their product being their own design, eliminates any other competition.

That's my plan exactly. My product is going to be *all* mine. Only I can have it manufactured and shipped. I am just eliminating "me" from the equation in dealing with it physically. What difference does it make who ships it? I'll pay for that service because I'm worth more than being a shipper.

SMH likes this.
  16. ChrisV

ChrisV Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $13,083
    yo i think he makes good points here

F*ck it i mean it’s good practice if nothing else

17. Real Deal Denver

Rep Bank:
    $9,151
    You mean you were doing this to make money?

Or not.

The world needs another book @MJ DeMarco !

18. Walter Hay

Walter Hay Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $69,016
    This has been an interesting debate, but it might provide more light on the question if we note the different kinds of dropshipping models. As I see it some of the variations are:
    1. Buying from traders on Aliexpress and having them ship to your customers.
    2. Buying from manufacturers and distributors in your home country and having them ship to your customers.
    3. Buying from POD businesses that print your designs and having them ship to your customers.
    #1 Is one of the worst business models I can imagine. The people that I know of who are making a lot of money from this method are: a) Those who teach others how to do it, and b) Those who buy and sell counterfeits.
    #2 Is a far better proposition than #1 if you don't want to carry inventory. It can be scaled and works very well on high ticket items.
    #3 Is in my view not truly dropshipping which I believe means buying ready made products from a stockist and getting them to deliver. POD fulfillment services are just that - fulfillment businesses, and they provide a valuable service.

Some people believe that they can Private Label and dropship the products. That might be possible in western countries, but not if buying from Chinese manufacturers.

You can easily persuade a Chinese trader or wholesaler to dropship generic products. But... While it is difficult enough to persuade a Chinese manufacturer to dropship their generic products, it would take a salesperson with incredible powers of persuasion to convince one to make to order, attach your own brand or label and dropship to your customers. They might possibly do it if the buyer paid for all the goods in one hit, and paid a storage fee as well as paying a service fee for packaging and shipping, in addition to the freight cost.

Here's one of countless stories of those who have tried unsuccessfully to make a worthwhile business out of dropshipping: My Shopify dropshipping experience...

Walter

19. chendawg

chendawg New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $28
    When you say high ticket items, is it something $100+ USD or more like 4 figures? Thanks!

20. Walter Hay

Walter Hay Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $69,016
    It is very difficult to define "high ticket", and opinions will vary depending on a person's income.

I mentioned the issue because a large number of eCommerce sellers seem to like selling items costing under $50.

If I wanted to sell products online I would not be interested in handling anything selling for under $100. My reason is that to handle a sale worth $20 or $50 takes as much time as it takes to handle a sale worth $100 or $500.

The ROI when the "I" is invested time, is obviously much greater on the bigger value items if the % profit margin is similar.

When I sold franchises of my importing business I had to work hard to persuade my new franchisees to consider profit per hour, rather than simply % profit per sale. When the message sank in, they found that they were making over $150 per hour when handling average sales of $750 compared to $50 per hour when dealing with sales worth less than $100.

For those who don't already know, the importing business handled only B2B sales. One franchisee wrote to me about a large order, thanking me for the guidance and saying: "It is nice to make the occasional $50,000 profit for 1/2 day's work."

Walter

21. Real Deal Denver

Rep Bank:
    $9,151
    {staring at you with eyes glazed over}

Walter Hay likes this.
  22. Walter Hay

Rep Bank:
    $69,016
    The total sale value was just over $57,000. Landed cost about $7,000. I must say that he only made a sale that big occasionally, but it highlighted to the other franchisees the fact that they should aim high.

The best I ever did personally was a sale of $21,000 for one order that cost $3,000 landed.

The reason such big margins were achieved was that the pricing policy I chose was "What the market will bear", rather than a cost plus strategy. That is easier to do B2B than it is B2C.

For me the beauty of franchising was that once I had the figures to prove what profits I was making, and I set up a system that could replicate it provided my instructions were followed, the sky was the limit in selling franchises in English speaking countries and selling the franchises was easy.

Walter

23. Neng Her

Neng Her Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $0
    I think thats what most people are missing out of. One of my colleagues just made his first sale/income while sleeping. I think it gives you great experience and ideas for future endeavors.

GoGetter24 and Real Deal Denver like this.
  24. brandothebuilder

brandothebuilder PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $3
    It won't be easy, keep in mind that you have to deal with other people selling the same thing as you and listing it at a lower price. Why should they buy from you if the other guy is selling it a dollar cheaper and faster shipping? Do you have an email list, or an audience to advertise to? It will be easier if you already have sometime of customer base or audience instead of starting out scratch and acquiring new customers through paid ads.

25. jpanarra

jpanarra Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $16,816
    I have a drop-ship store and a POD store, POD does far better than the drop-ship. I'm still trying to drive traffic to the drop-ship store and make its place in its niche.

I'm starting to realize that the drop-ship isn't exactly the best business model. However, I'm starting to see the benefits of it being integrated into a e-com store that allows you to do A/B testing safely and see if one product does sell better than the other and then think about importing it. Its a step you can take in a legit import e-com store that you can use to test the customer's response and gauge if you can get the margins where you want it.

businessbaybee and Kid like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.