The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is anyone a nomad?

SebastianSkinner

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
304%
Aug 26, 2020
UK
Hi all,

Just curious if anyone works remotely and travels on a full time basis?

If so what job / business do you have?

Would be interesting to hear the pros and cons of this lifestyle choice as well!

Thanks.

Seb

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Don't do it right now, but did it last year.
But I see only a positive side. You can travel, make memories, and have a great time.
I personally traveled with friends and we worked together, and so we always made sure that we kept each other accountable.
If you have the possibility, do it!

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
After just 2 days on my parent's couch (just sold my house), I'm actually considering it. 2020 doesn't seem like a great year to do it, though

It depends, where you live. But if you just travel in Europe it's a great time. You can go there where the corona numbers are the lowest. And there are fewer to none tourists. And if you have a business on the side it's perfect. You can go for example to Venice, where normally are only tourists are now empty streets. And when the case numbers are rising it Italy you move to Spain for example. And atm it's all really cheap.

Would really recommend it, best to do if you have a business partner and you travel together and work remotely.

I can recommend this thread to this subject:

ElleMg

Pronounced like the Elle in excellent
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Aug 13, 2020
UK
It depends, where you live. But if you just travel in Europe it's a great time. You can go there where the corona numbers are the lowest. And there are fewer to none tourists. And if you have a business on the side it's perfect. You can go for example to Venice, where normally are only tourists are now empty streets. And when the case numbers are rising it Italy you move to Spain for example. And atm it's all really cheap.

Would really recommend it, best to do if you have a business partner and you travel together and work remotely.

I can recommend this thread to this subject:

I have a business to launch and there's definitely a lot I could be doing from anywhere in the world (although I admit, it's 10x hard from my parent's busy house, and without any space).

I have read that thread. I wonder how easy it is to get medication from abroad, that's my main concern.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
I have a business to launch and there's definitely a lot I could be doing from anywhere in the world (although I admit, it's 10x hard from my parent's busy house, and without any space).

I have read that thread. I wonder how easy it is to get medication from abroad, that's my main concern.

That all depends on where you going. Most of the countries have quite good healthcare. You may just have to go to Germany, Franch, or come to Switzerland. :) Is this concerning you because of corona? Or other health problems?

ElleMg

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Aug 13, 2020
UK
That all depends on where you going. Most of the countries have quite good healthcare. You may just have to go to Germany, Franch, or come to Switzerland. :) Is this concerning you because of corona? Or other health problems?

I'm not very concerned about corona, it's just that I have a monthly prescription. I wonder how easy it is to get those medications from another country

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
I'm not very concerned about corona, it's just that I have a monthly prescription. I wonder how easy it is to get those medications from another country

There is something called a cross-border prescription. But I don't know how it is with Brexit atm. Technically you're still in the EU, are you? Then it shouldn't be a problem.

You can read more about that here:

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Hi all,

Just curious if anyone works remotely and travels on a full time basis?

If so what job / business do you have?

Would be interesting to hear the pros and cons of this lifestyle choice as well!

Thanks.

Seb

Would love to but with 2 kids at 10 and 12 it looks like we'll have to wait until they're adults. We try and have as many holidays a year though as possible.

ElleMg

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Aug 13, 2020
UK
There is something called a cross-border prescription. But I don't know how it is with Brexit atm. Technically you're still in the EU, are you? Then it shouldn't be a problem.

You can read more about that here:

That link is really useful, cheers. We're still in the transition period so I think it'd still apply until the end of the year.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
That link is really useful, cheers. We're still in the transition period so I think it'd still apply until the end of the year.

That's great. So then nothing keeps you at your parent's place. Just try it. Before the 2nd wave hits the UK. :)
Here the 2nd wave is already coming and I'm thinking about traveling as well.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
I was in Spain last month, I'm in Sunny Beach Bulgaria this month.

I say do it, now's the perfect time - dirt cheap price because all the tourists are thinking like the rest of the herd.

SebastianSkinner

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
304%
Aug 26, 2020
UK
I was in Spain last month, I'm in Sunny Beach Bulgaria this month.

I say do it, now's the perfect time - dirt cheap price because all the tourists are thinking like the rest of the herd.
If you don’t mind me asking what is it you do for work?
I am currently in the situation where I could rent out my home and profit around £600 p/m after paying mortgage payments etc. Frustrating part is that my work skill set does not lend its hand well to remote working (land buying for residential housing).
Looking at ways to increase my income. If I could get to around £1,500 p/m I would be confident to take the leap indefinitely.

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
I'm doing this, right now, and it's *amazing*

I left my main company in the states Dec 31. Handed over the day to day to our management team, and took off.

I should say, I don't really have a lot of 'work' to do. A handful of emails a week, and monthly check ins. So, I'm certainly not like a 'digital nomad' or whatever they call them these days.

I'm just a traveler, who happens to own a business :)

I was based in the US for 7 months of 2020, flying somewhere new every week.
Hit 10-12 new states, and aiming for 20+ new countries.

July 31, 2020 - I left the US for good for a year.
Flew to Ukraine, and now just working my way from there to Balkans, now in Turkey.
Heading to UK next week, then to Portugal for 3 months.

The a bunch of stuff in Africa, to Middle East, then India, then Asia for 2-3 months.
Then back through Russia and the Stans, until June 2021, when I plan to fly back to the US for a couple months.

So far, I think I will just keep doing this.
I bought a laptop, and with email + whatapp/skype, I can do almost anything remotely.
I was planning to fly to the USA next week for a one day meeting, but, think I can skip and just keep traveling.

--
I have had the good fortunate to travel a lot in the world, every year, all over.
And... Right Now? It's some of my favorite.

I've flown on planes where I was the only passenger, stayed in hotels where I was the only person.
People love that we are traveling (my fiancé is with me), and.... yeah, it's delightful.

Things are empty, people are appreciative.
It's some of my favorite traveling I've ever done. I could not recommend this enough, and would absolutely encourage travel now.

It's been weird a bit to not have a 'home'. But, just arrived in Southern Turkey today. Sitting in a room by a pool after being the only people at a road side restaurant where we ate lunch for $5.

--
Will I get tired of it? We will see.
I'm on a quest to visit every country in the world - and this is a lot easier than flying back and forth every month to the US.

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019
Love this thread. Has anyone read the book Vagabonding? I've dreamt of traveling in the way he describes, and I roughly plan on it next year.

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
I would add, I am doing almost all of this with points from business credit cards.
I'd say 90% of the trip is paid for with Chase and Amex points I earn each month spending money at our business.

I pay for our flights, and hotels with these points.
(not rental cars or food or activities)

But, if you're a business owner and you spend some decent money each month on - vendors, expenses of any kind. Yeah, if you're clever, the majority of your travel can be mostly free.

Owning a business is a disaster sometimes, especially at the start.
But, after 15 years... yeah, this is pretty cool.

Happy to help anyone to maximize that. I get the question a lot in real life, and I've done a presentation on it. The American Credit Card system is.... the gift that keeps on giving if you own a business and spend $$$ each month running it!

SebastianSkinner

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
304%
Aug 26, 2020
UK
I would add, I am doing almost all of this with points from business credit cards.
I'd say 90% of the trip is paid for with Chase and Amex points I earn each month spending money at our business.

I pay for our flights, and hotels with these points.
(not rental cars or food or activities)

But, if you're a business owner and you spend some decent money each month on - vendors, expenses of any kind. Yeah, if you're clever, the majority of your travel can be mostly free.

Owning a business is a disaster sometimes, especially at the start.
But, after 15 years... yeah, this is pretty cool.

Happy to help anyone to maximize that. I get the question a lot in real life, and I've done a presentation on it. The American Credit Card system is.... the gift that keeps on giving if you own a business and spend $$$ each month running it!
Thank you for your two posts on this topic, it’s greatly appreciated. If you don’t mind Me asking what is the business that you manage remotely / what space you operate in?
you mention you are coming to the UK soon for a visit. If I can help with any recommendations please let me know. Happy to help

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Oh wow, this thread is getting better and better.

Think I don't speak only for myself if I say @WestCoast has a pretty great lifestyle. Would love to do what you're doing right now! Thanks for sharing.

Love this thread. Has anyone read the book Vagabonding? I've dreamt of traveling in the way he describes, and I roughly plan on it next year.
And yeah, I'm reading it right now. I love it, even if I wouldn't do everything the same, but it's still a must-read.

I sold my last business just before corona hit. And now I was just helping some friends getting their business running and enjoying my life a little. But I think it's time to start something new. But I want to travel so badly, and from all your story now is a great time to do so, especially when you're young. So do you guys think it's possible to start a business remotely? My last business was created from home and I traveled/worked remotely later on, but didn't start like this. What do you guys think? Any advice?

Thanks for the great value!

ElleMg

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Aug 13, 2020
UK
What would you do to create income if you were to do it?

I'm monetising an existing audience of 500k+ fans. I'm going to create a brand alongside a subscription box.

Doing the opposite of what the herd are doing generally works! I'm shocked at how many people are buying houses despite prices being expected to continue falling :wideyed:

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019
Doing the opposite of what the herd are doing generally works! I'm shocked at how many people are buying houses despite prices being expected to continue falling :wideyed:
Dude. My friend kept saying earlier this year that he wouldn't buy until there was blood in the streets. He got engaged a month ago and they just bought a $300k "starter home." He also said a few months ago that he wanted to start a business :rofl:

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
I'm monetising an existing audience of 500k+ people. I want to create a brand alongside a subscription box.

Oh wow, that's amazing! The idea of subscription boxes is something I really love!

You could say the same thing about buying stocks atm. We are still in a crisis. Maybe the pandemic will be over in a couple of month if we're lucky when we find a useable vaccine but it's still a recession. And with inflation, I personally don't touch the stock market atm, too risky for me.

ElleMg

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Aug 13, 2020
UK
Dude. My friend kept saying earlier this year that he wouldn't buy until there was blood in the streets. He got engaged a month ago and they just bought a $300k "starter home." He also said a few months ago that he wanted to start a business :rofl:

Well he must have a very lovely wife :happy::rofl: Life keeps proving me right but people can be so insanely unaware and uncritical... I'll invest the money from the sale in business and maybe buy a house when they're 20%+ cheaper

SebastianSkinner

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
304%
Aug 26, 2020
UK
I'm monetising an existing audience of 500k+ fans. I'm going to create a brand alongside a subscription box.

From working in the property industry it’s clear in my opinion that the market, at least in the UK has been artificially stimulated with the temporary cut on SDLT. This has caused a surge in the low to mid end of the market.
i completely agree that the Economy will eventually catch up where unemployment rates will rise and property prices will dip! Just my 2 cents!

ElleMg

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Aug 13, 2020
UK
Oh wow, that's amazing! The idea of subscription boxes is something I really love!

I love it too, especially after reading The Automatic Customer. If I can get 1% of the fans to subscribe, which I'm certain I can, I'll be making mid-high 5 figures monthly. Reading TFL last November made me realise I wasn't mad for, without realising, living the 'unscripted life'.

Listed my house shortly after, as I bought outright and felt so stuck because of how much capital is put into it... Now, I'm free! :praise:

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
If you don’t mind me asking what is it you do for work?
I am currently in the situation where I could rent out my home and profit around £600 p/m after paying mortgage payments etc. Frustrating part is that my work skill set does not lend its hand well to remote working (land buying for residential housing).
Looking at ways to increase my income. If I could get to around £1,500 p/m I would be confident to take the leap indefinitely.

I am building my own digital business, I'm not even getting consistent cash coming in - so its smarter for me to stay abroad while I find a source of income.

Its actually cheaper to live here in Bulgaria than the UK.

You can get a studio/1 bed for around £200-300.

Also don't be afraid of sharing a flat or renting a room and saving money that way.

Do whatever you gotta do to get by man. £600 per month is enough.

If you know how to write English - you can write blog articles related to real estate - and call yourself an expert at that and charge a £20-50 per article. 1-2 Articles per day and you're good.

Check out fiverr, check out upwork (@Lex DeVille has a couple of threads on how to get started with that real quick).

But otherwise, just hustle - you can do location arbitrage. Study CL, study ebay... study what's being sold on there in 1 country that you can re-sell in another country for a small premium and just re-sell stuff using an agent or family/friend.

SebastianSkinner

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
304%
Aug 26, 2020
UK
I love it too, especially after reading The Automatic Customer. If I can get 1% of the fans to subscribe, which I'm certain I can, I'll be making mid-high 5 figures monthly. Reading TFL last November made me realise I wasn't mad for, without realising, living the 'unscripted life'.

Listed my house shortly after, as I bought outright and felt so stuck because of how much capital is put into it... Now, I'm free! :praise:
Could always look into investing some capital for a buy to let or invest in some REITS so you are not directly invested in the property market without the agg of releasing capital / managing a property and maintenance etc. May be worth waiting but some REITS in my opinion are undervalued at the moment if you were to invest for the medium to long term.

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019
Listed my house shortly after, as I bought outright and felt so stuck because of how much capital is put into it...
I was so intent on buying something cheap earlier this year, Corona hit so I rented instead. So glad I have something I can just walk away from

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland

Oh, that sounds amazing! Maybe that's something for my next business. :)
It's so crazy that you only need such a small percentage to sign up. And normally you get a much higher rate than 1% from what I previously heard. Naturally, it all depends on the business and your marketing/sales skills but otherwise one of the best business models.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.