The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Investing $50,000

Anything related to investing, including crypto

DURABLEOILCOM

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 25, 2012
What can I do with $50,000 to create monthly income? Where and how should I invest it? Is it better to go to Charles Schwab or Vanguard?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Ask yourself who cares most about your money?
Certainly not a mutual fund manager.

Start a business.
50k invested in the markets will only get about 5k income.
If you're lucky.

Take luck out of the equation & take control of your finances.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

Odysseus M Jones

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
I agree, tuna fetches a princely sum in the Tokyo wet market
Domo arigato J San
I'll wager ¥100 the OP doesn't even reply to this thread

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
What can I do with $50,000 to create monthly income? Where and how should I invest it? Is it better to go to Charles Schwab or Vanguard?
you've been here long enough to know to ask a better question after doing some of your own research.

rephrase and be more particular. what areas are on / off limits? what is your desired outcome?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
What kind of business can you buy with 50k, that makes sense? Legit curious about this thread.
take a look around and report back.

there is a LOT of opportunity out there.

your response reads like a limited belief. do you think you need more or less money to buy a business?

Odysseus M Jones

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
I'll wager ¥100 the OP doesn't even reply to this thread
My ¥100 is still safe.

The saddest part is when OP's don't reply, it discourages the experienced members like RCP & The-J from helping & when a genuine newbie asks a question it may go unanswered.

Not good @DURABLEOILCOM you've been online several times today & not even acknowledged the time people have taken to offer advice.
Same goes for your mobile phone thread that your also started today. :frown:

DURABLEOILCOM

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 25, 2012
My ¥100 is still safe.

The saddest part is when OP's don't reply, it discourages the experienced members like RCP & The-J from helping & when a genuine newbie asks a question it may go unanswered.

Not good @DURABLEOILCOM you've been online several times today & not even acknowledged the time people have taken to offer advice.
Same goes for your mobile phone thread that your also started today. :frown:

I am trying to Safely generate supplemental monthly income without taking dangerous risk and losing it over night. Goal safely invest generate income.

Odysseus M Jones

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
I am trying to Safely generate supplemental monthly income without taking dangerous risk and losing it over night. Goal safely invest generate income.

Everything comes with risk - lower the risk usually equates into a lower return. It's up to you to decide on what your risk appetite is.

As others have said, investing into the market (especially with low risk) will mean minimal returns - lucky to produce 5k a year.

You can always run a business that is inline with your expertise to reduce risk/failure. If it was me, I would be looking at creating or buying a business.

Please note that I am not a successful entrepreneur (Edit: not yet!), this is just my own opinion.

Last edited:

Lucky Lu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Nov 2, 2019
Newport Beach, California
take a look around and report back.

there is a LOT of opportunity out there.

your response reads like a limited belief. do you think you need more or less money to buy a business?
Yes, I don´t deny that maybe comes with a little pinch of limited belief as a condiment but I was genuinely curious about what you guys were seeing on that range of money. I need to jump the gun on a real business not derived from my actual jobs. I managed to buy a little studio apartment in these rough times though. Seller was a construction company and they were willing to take one of our cars and a private parking space as half of the price and the other half in actual money, with a few installments using seller financing. I will tell all in detail in another thread. But I really want to set up or undertake an actual business.

Thank you for the input though, always someone more experienced and better is reading and ready to send something back. Cheers!

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Read this:
Amazon.com: Buy Then Build: How Acquisition Entrepreneurs Outsmart the Startup Game eBook: Deibel, Walker: Kindle Store

Then invest in yourself and acquire a business that you can add value to. If you make good decisions and do the real work, your returns will be a multiple of whatever returns you are thinking of receiving from the stock market.

MJ preaches control over your future finances, not outsourcing your future to Wall St. where you lose the commandment of control.

Last edited:

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
you've been here long enough to know to ask a better question after doing some of your own research.

rephrase and be more particular. what areas are on / off limits? what is your desired outcome?
Zane quoting directly from his engineering flowchart :rofl:
#truth

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
What kind of business can you buy with 50k, that makes sense? Legit curious about this thread.
According to what I've been reading (I'm no expert), assuming you can procure an SBA loan or something similar and your finances are in order, conservatively you could use that 50k to buy a business in the neighborhood of 250 - 300k, with discretionary monthly earnings of 7 to 8k. All back of the napkin estimates.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
How you made the 50k matters too.

If you currently have a business that is generating more savings like that, is not crunched for working capital and already has money to grow, it might be a good time to take a look at traditional investing.

Otherwise I would amplify what is already working.

You could very easily park money in popular ETFs that track whatever you want

You could look at some real estate as well.

Someone in the crypto thread mentioned how bitcoin has basically outpreformed like 90 percent of the funds over the last 5 years. Something like that. Go check out that thread if that interests you. It interests me for sure. It has obviously proven itself as an asset class at this point.

I am personally with JP Morgan’s self directed platform and Ameriprise. Real estate is also something I am pretty passionate about.

I would avoid giving it to “money managers.” Self education on this goes a long way.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
According to what I've been reading (I'm no expert), assuming you can procure an SBA loan or something similar and your finances are in order, conservatively you could use that 50k to buy something in the neighborhood of 250 - 300k, with discretionary monthly income of 7 to 8k. All back of the napkin estimates.
This is not out of the realm of possibilities.

DURABLEOILCOM

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 25, 2012
How you made the 50k matters too.

If you currently have a business that is generating more savings like that, is not crunched for working capital and already has money to grow, it might be a good time to take a look at traditional investing.

Otherwise I would amplify what is already working.

You could very easily park money in popular ETFs that track whatever you want

You could look at some real estate as well.

Someone in the crypto thread mentioned how bitcoin has basically outpreformed like 90 percent of the funds over the last 5 years. Something like that. Go check out that thread if that interests you. It interests me for sure. It has obviously proven itself as an asset class at this point.

I am personally with JP Morgan’s self directed platform and Ameriprise. Real estate is also something I am pretty passionate about.

I would avoid giving it to “money managers.” Self education on this goes a long way.

I have had some minir success investing in the stock market picking great stocks was able to put in $1900 into the market and earn $4200+ but I do not feel comfortable investing $50,000 for fear of making a major mistake and losing it overnight.

Odysseus M Jones

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
I have had some minir success investing in the stock market picking great stocks was able to put in $1900 into the market and earn $4200+ but I do not feel comfortable investing $50,000 for fear of making a major mistake and losing it overnight.

What stock goes to zero overnight?

If you do due diligence & invest accordingly it won't happen

That's where knowing where the economy is right now, what direction it's heading & what sectors benefit from that.

Then it's down to reading quarterly & annual reports, balance sheets & income statements.

But you said you wanted a passive income, this is proactive because you have to spend some time every week keeping on top of the companies you invest in.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

You could literally park all of your money in a fund like AOM, AOA or AOK and it will mimic what a money manager does without the fees and without the realized gains from them constantly moving stuff around.

AOK is the most conservative.
AOM is “moderate” but still conservative IMO.
AOA is considered “aggressive” but it is still very well diversified and I have left money sitting in it for years at a time without much worry.

Look into these ETFs and see if that helps ease your fears.

The biggest benefit to doing this yourself is having immediate access to your money. If you want to sock 20k into a down payment on a rental property there isn’t going to be a pest on the phone trying to talk you out of it.

The second biggest benefit is taxes. They buy and sell stuff constantly in the name of balancing your portfolio, when I would rather leave it and not pay realized realized capital gains.

The third biggest benefit comes when you are more experienced. Money managers and broad spec investing, IMO, is the new single stock exposure. Everyone buys and sells the entire market now. It will pay well to choose some high performers and leave out the losers.

Then, you can start exploring some options and leveraged investing.

The sky is the limit here, but with 20 more years under your belt you will be glad you started learning this today.

Last edited:

DURABLEOILCOM

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 25, 2012
You could literally park all of your money in a fund like AOM, AOA or AOK and it will mimic what a money manager does without the fees and without the realized gains from them constantly moving stuff around.

AOA is considered “aggressive” but it is still very well diversified and I have left money sitting in it for years at a time without much worry.

The biggest benefit to doing this yourself is having immediate access to your money. If you want to sock 20k into a down payment on a rental property there isn’t going to be a pest on the phone trying to talk you out of it.

The second biggest benefit is taxes. They buy and sell stuff constantly in the name of balancing your portfolio, when I would rather leave it and not pay realized realized capital gains.

The third biggest benefit comes when you are more experienced. Money managers and broad spec investing, IMO, is the new single stock exposure. Everyone buys and sells the entire market now. It will pay well to choose some high performers and leave out the losers.

The sky is the limit here, but with 20 more years under your belt you will be glad you started learning this today.

Thank you! This is quality advice.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI

Smart advice. Fees & capital gains kill you in the long run. Death by a thousand cuts.

P3HSB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 27, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Smart advice. Fees & capital gains kill you in the long run. Death by a thousand cuts.

you got to take money off the table at some point, fees and short term capital gains tax is part of the game unless your investing withing your retirement account

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
you got to take money off the table at some point, fees and short term capital gains tax is part of the game unless your investing withing your retirement account
Right, you will never escape fees. I was more referring to @Kak 's statement concerning fees due to having a manager actively trading your account. And he knows that on average, if you have an active trading manager, you probably won't do as well as indexed funds, as referenced by the result of this well-known 2 million dollar long bet by Warren Buffet V. Protege Partners:

...passive investors, will by definition do about average. In aggregate their positions will more or less approximate those of an index fund. Therefore the balance of the universe—the active investors—must do about average as well. However, these investors will incur far greater costs. So, on balance, their aggregate results after these costs will be worse than those of the passive investors.

Costs skyrocket when large annual fees, large performance fees, and active trading costs are all added to the active investor’s equation. Funds of hedge funds accentuate this cost problem because their fees are superimposed on the large fees charged by the hedge funds in which the funds of funds are invested.

A number of smart people are involved in running hedge funds. But to a great extent their efforts are self-neutralizing, and their IQ will not overcome the costs they impose on investors. Investors, on average and over time, will do better with a low-cost index fund than with a group of funds of funds.

- Warren Buffet

Kak is advising a more passive investment through ETFs, which I believe to be the smart move with 50 grand, unless you go the route which I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.