The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Invested close to $500 towards video production equipment

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Lets see how this will turn out..camera comes in about a week

Why didn't you wait a week to make this thread? Were you looking for instant gratification from "Oh, look at me, I invested?" Because as of now, your circumstances are the same as they were yesterday, except you're $500 poorer.

"How this will turn out" is up to you. If you don't have a plan, or don't have the work ethic, then you buying a camera will do absolutely nothing.

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
Why didn't you wait a week to make this thread? Were you looking for instant gratification from "Oh, look at me, I invested?" Because as of now, your circumstances are the same as they were yesterday, except you're $500 poorer.

"How this will turn out" is up to you. If you don't have a plan, or don't have the work ethic, then you buying a camera will do absolutely nothing.

Well the plan is obviously to make $$

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
LOL, I think it should say. Bought $500 video camera. People who say, let's see how it will turn out usually aren't committing or have doubts.

Time will tell if it was a proper investment

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
LOL, I think it should say. Bought $500 video camera. People who say, let's see how it will turn out usually aren't committing or have doubts.

It's like getting a gym membership and wondering if you'll get in shape. 67-80% of active gym memberships go unused. Without a proper plan and commitment, this seems like a similar case.

@juan917 We're not trying to be mean. We just want to give you some tough love. You have a week to make a plan of how you're going to make money from the camera. Take the time to actually make a plan. Then try it. Don't expect to get a camera and for you to suddenly have a plan.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Think many of us just need to reset our thought process on this.... as I am learning with my kids friends, they post 'everything' and expect praise at every turn.

The only thing missing is the 'I clicked on the website / drove to the store' and the prior 'am thinking about buying a camera to make $'.

Been trying to figure out how to monetize this....... life coaches were the answer for a while..... seems like 'praise coaches' are needed now......

Dave510

Reversing
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 16, 2014
I wonder if the $500 is even necessary for a MVP, and whether you've at least validated the idea first. A one-liner is the antithesis of a process.

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
No point in sharing the plan. Y'all gotta wait until the execution :)

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
I wonder if the $500 is even necessary for a MVP, and whether you've at least validated the idea first. A one-liner is the antithesis of a process.

action is action

Think many of us just need to reset our thought process on this.... as I am learning with my kids friends, they post 'everything' and expect praise at every turn.

The only thing missing is the 'I clicked on the website / drove to the store' and the prior 'am thinking about buying a camera to make $'.

Been trying to figure out how to monetize this....... life coaches were the answer for a while..... seems like 'praise coaches' are needed now......

do it!
lol i was expecting a long thread of a plan...

start writing ads on craigslist,and working on your copy..

is craigslist still popular?

sWALK90

Slowly figuring it out
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 29, 2015
H ,TX
action is action

do it!

is craigslist still popular?

Shit idk, but its better than nothing lol..it depends where you stay at...i know people still use it out here.

To shoot a wedding or graduation or family pictures you can make your 500 back in no time,but you also have to know about photo editing ..do you have any experience in that?

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
Shit idk, but its better than nothing lol..it depends where you stay at...i know people still use it out here.

To shoot a wedding or graduation or family pictures you can make your 500 back in no time,but you also have to know about photo editing ..do you have any experience in that?

oh im not looking to get into that line of work. I'm planning on shooting videos of just myself talking to the camera

mwp

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Dec 2, 2012
San Diego/Hong Kong
oh im not looking to get into that line of work. I'm planning on shooting videos of just myself talking to the camera

Coming from a professional photography and video background, I can tell you that you'd better pay attention to the sound at least as much as the image. You can almost certainly shoot the type of video you are doing with your phone--just be careful with lighting. On the other hand, using the phone mic or built in camera mics for sound are a no-go for professional quality. Also, if $500 is your whole budget, buying a cheaper used camera would likely be a better move, especially if it gives you money to buy stuff like a tripod, mic/recorder, and a couple lights. Used cameras are also nice in that you can usually sell them for close to what you paid. Obviously, you're going to need to have an editing computer of some sort as well. Davinci resolve is free these days and would work well to edit if you don't have other software.

Let us know how it goes.

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
Coming from a professional photography and video background, I can tell you that you'd better pay attention to the sound at least as much as the image. You can almost certainly shoot the type of video you are doing with your phone--just be careful with lighting. On the other hand, using the phone mic or built in camera mics for sound are a no-go for professional quality. Also, if $500 is your whole budget, buying a cheaper used camera would likely be a better move, especially if it gives you money to buy stuff like a tripod, mic/recorder, and a couple lights. Used cameras are also nice in that you can usually sell them for close to what you paid. Obviously, you're going to need to have an editing computer of some sort as well. Davinci resolve is free these days and would work well to edit if you don't have other software.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks. Tripod should be arriving tomorrow & I already got the beginner rodeo microphone. I found a spot in my living that seems to have good enough lighting as is

mwp

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Dec 2, 2012
San Diego/Hong Kong
Thanks. Tripod should be arriving tomorrow & I already got the beginner rodeo microphone. I found a spot in my living that seems to have good enough lighting as is
Awesome. Sounds like you are on the path. Content is king, but production quality helps content get watched.

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
Dam.. camera does not have an option to connect to an external microphone. I emailed customer service asking to do a trade-in.

Also the tripod won't work out of the box, apparently its meant for speakers but I'm sure i could engineer a solution together eventually

Need to get an SD card for the camera too

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.