The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Introduction

amk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Mar 18, 2014
Hello from Minnesota!

I've recently read The Millionaire Fastlane , and the entrepreneurial flame within has been re-lit. It used to burn strong, but after more than a few failed business attempts, I gave up. I gave up because I was climbing the corporate ladder in a "this isn't so bad" manner, and thought that getting to the "top" was the way to wealth. I got my MBA, worked hard at my job, etc. I (just barely) made 6 figures last year, but with a mortgage, 2 kids, and school loans, I am barely able to put anything into savings each month. It seems unreal to me -- I was led to believe a 6 figure income meant you could afford the finer things in life. I live a cookie-cutter suburban life, and I want out.

I have been doing website development and design since 13. My first paid job was at 14 when I designed a college professors web site. That led to another job, and so on. I started my first professional job a a web developer/designer at 15 at a then local internet service provider. For the past 17 years I've worked in some aspect of website development, design, unix sys admin, online marketing, print/design/marketing (offline), etc., type of "job" ... I have the ability to take any idea and make it a reality for free where others may have to spend a lot of time learning or spend money hiring someone else to build.

I have an idea for a subscription based web site that I believe could be huge. Page after page of reading The Fastlane Forum, my business idea met all of the criteria. I have tested (with $100 google adwords) the concept to see how many people would click a "sign up" button. Since the actual service isn't ready (I wanted to prove the concept before investing time to build the site), I just collected email addresses. I converted roughly 40% of the visitors into leads w/ their email addresses. I don't know how many of those people would be willing to pay a monthly fee, and that is the struggle I am having: 1.) Monthly fee up front, 2.) Offer a limited site but if they want to "use" it, they have to upgrade, 3.) Make it free and have ads.

My other main struggle is time. Now, I'm not bitching, I just want to share the hurdle I have to jump over: I work 8-5, Monday-Friday. I have 2 kids, one 1 month old, and a 3-1/2 year old. My day starts at 6:00am so I can be ready by 6:30am to get my 3-1/2 year old ready to leave for daycare at 7:15am. After picking up my daughter from daycare, getting home, eating, playing something, taking a bath, reading books, she's to sleep by 8:00pm-8:30pm. My wife gets no sleep during the night and my 1 month old gets upset when we set her down, so I am tasked with holding my 1 month old until roughly 11:00pm to midnight. So, as of now, my free time during the day is from 11pm-midnight until 6:00am.

That's where I'm starting. I don't know how exactly, but I'm going to climb out of this hole I dug for myself.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

StayPositive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Mar 20, 2014
Welcome aboard!

It seems like you have every skill required to build your own site, maybe even SaaS app. That could be a great advantage.

I'm personally not a fan of big ideas in our heads, though. The idea should come from your customers, not from your head.

IMHO you should pick up the phone or go out and talk to people. If you have your target group chosen, it should be easy.

What pain or problem are you going to solve via your website?

Elizabeth Shi

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 18, 2014
China
Welcome to TFF. :)

The idea should come from your customers, not from your head.
Agree. And offering solutions for problems could be huge.. Sometimes simple but effective solutions are a huge hit.

amk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Mar 18, 2014
Welcome to TFF. :)

Agree. And offering solutions for problems could be huge.. Sometimes simple but effective solutions are a huge hit.

Thanks to anyone who read my initial post and thanks for the reply's.

The idea did come from my customers, and myself, since I was/am a "customer" of the service
-- it's something I was trying to find for myself. I have talked to a lot of people who, like me, were trying to find a solution that worked properly. Most of those people got excited about the solution I was proposing and said they'd use it and most said they'd pay for it (however I couldn't exactly take any money because it's not built yet). Some just blew me off, but I think they were under the impression that I was merely trying to sell them something rather than find a way to serve a need. Or they just didn't want to talk to me. Whatever...

Anyways, the best current solution to this problem ends up turning to free message boards trying to McGyver a solution, which works to a small degree but there definitely has to be a better way. There are companies that already try to offer solutions to the problem, but they're poorly executed in my opinion. Services exist that have both paying customers for a monthly fee and free sites that have a ton of ads. I can't remember where I heard this, but someone said if you want to figure out what your customers really want, look to see what solutions they're trying to "McGyver" together themselves. My plan is to build the tool people are trying to use free message boards for.

StayPositive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Mar 20, 2014
Nice.
It looks like you have your idea verified in theory and even a little bit in practice.

It could be a time to go for it! If you feel that way, don't let someone or something stop you.
Good luck, I keep my fingers crossed!

P.S.
If you didn't see that post, I strongly recommend it: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...that-zen*******-never-told-you…exposed.50097/

Last edited by a moderator:

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
Welcome to the forum!

And good to hear you're making progress. Some of the people here have the same scenario as you and they've conquered it. Im sure you'll find them and learn a lot from them.

Read more posts and good luck on your fastlane journey. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...