The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Introduction of someone who stopped following her passions

Ellenit

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Mar 12, 2021
Hello entrepreneurs!
I joined the forum a while ago but hadn't introduced myself. I'm a teacher in Berlin, and I'd always wanted to be a dancer. Dancing was my passion (along with yoga and studying Russian), but whenever performing was coming closer to becoming a business, I got the feeling I didn't really want to do that for a living. I was extremely confused about this. Then, not long ago, I found MJ's two fantastic books and read that following your passion is often BS. That statement offended me deeply, but in the end, I saw why it made sense. It explained my mixed feelings about dancing. So I started looking for ideas about what kind of business would fulfill a need but couldn't make any decision for a while. Luckily, a charming man came into my life a month ago, stirred up my emotions to the highest, and then left. Now I know the power of heartbreak. It makes you really want to create. So I told all my friends I'd disappear for a while, called my mom to tell her what I had always wanted to tell her, and quit all my subscriptions to my hobbies because I decided to focus seriously on one thing.
Somehow the idea of creating a tutoring app for students solidified. I have a pretty good knowledge of the users and a clear vision of what the app will do for them. I've been learning about IA, UI, and UX and designing the app with these new skills.
I'm looking forward to spending more time in this forum and learning about what others are doing! I really appreciate this space and community!
I wish everyone here great ideas + great execution!

Ellenit

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome Ellen, hope you still are dancing! Not following your passion DOES NOT mean to stop enjoying your passion! It just means that lynching it to a business idea is often a bad idea.

A good book that might help you clarify the differences is Personality Isn't Permanent by Benjamin Hardy, a great read and does a great job a dissecting the "passion" paradox.

Ellenit

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Mar 12, 2021
Welcome Ellen, hope you still are dancing! Not following your passion DOES NOT mean to stop enjoying your passion! It just means that lynching it to a business idea is often a bad idea.

A good book that might help you clarify the differences is Personality Isn't Permanent by Benjamin Hardy, a great read and does a great job a dissecting the "passion" paradox.
Thanks a lot for your words, MJ! Yes, maybe I'm being too radical about stopping practicing my hobbies. It'll definitely be reading that book you recommended to sort things out:)

CruxisKnight

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Jan 7, 2021
I hope you are still dancing too, it seems you find it really enjoyable. Having a hobby like dancing is great. It destresses you when you are working on your business. And you can even blog about it then monetize that blog through ads, so your passion doesn't have to be unprofitable at all. But you do have an edge if your niche is profitable in the first place.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ellenit

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Mar 12, 2021
I hope you are still dancing too, it seems you find it really enjoyable. Having a hobby like dancing is great. It destresses you when you are working on your business. And you can even blog about it then monetize that blog through ads, so your passion doesn't have to be unprofitable at all. But you do have an edge if your niche is profitable in the first place.
Thanks for your idea and encouragement, CruxisKnight! You're right. A hobby can give you a break when work becomes stressful, especially if it evolves physical activity.
I'll be considering the blog idea!!:D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...