The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

INTRO Introduction of someone who stopped following her passions

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Ellenit

New Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 12, 2021
Hello entrepreneurs!
I joined the forum a while ago but hadn't introduced myself. I'm a teacher in Berlin, and I'd always wanted to be a dancer. Dancing was my passion (along with yoga and studying Russian), but whenever performing was coming closer to becoming a business, I got the feeling I didn't really want to do that for a living. I was extremely confused about this. Then, not long ago, I found MJ's two fantastic books and read that following your passion is often BS. That statement offended me deeply, but in the end, I saw why it made sense. It explained my mixed feelings about dancing. So I started looking for ideas about what kind of business would fulfill a need but couldn't make any decision for a while. Luckily, a charming man came into my life a month ago, stirred up my emotions to the highest, and then left. Now I know the power of heartbreak. It makes you really want to create. So I told all my friends I'd disappear for a while, called my mom to tell her what I had always wanted to tell her, and quit all my subscriptions to my hobbies because I decided to focus seriously on one thing.
Somehow the idea of creating a tutoring app for students solidified. I have a pretty good knowledge of the users and a clear vision of what the app will do for them. I've been learning about IA, UI, and UX and designing the app with these new skills.
I'm looking forward to spending more time in this forum and learning about what others are doing! I really appreciate this space and community!
I wish everyone here great ideas + great execution!

Ellenit

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Welcome Ellen, hope you still are dancing! Not following your passion DOES NOT mean to stop enjoying your passion! It just means that lynching it to a business idea is often a bad idea.

A good book that might help you clarify the differences is Personality Isn't Permanent by Benjamin Hardy, a great read and does a great job a dissecting the "passion" paradox.

Ellenit

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 12, 2021
Welcome Ellen, hope you still are dancing! Not following your passion DOES NOT mean to stop enjoying your passion! It just means that lynching it to a business idea is often a bad idea.

A good book that might help you clarify the differences is Personality Isn't Permanent by Benjamin Hardy, a great read and does a great job a dissecting the "passion" paradox.
Thanks a lot for your words, MJ! Yes, maybe I'm being too radical about stopping practicing my hobbies. It'll definitely be reading that book you recommended to sort things out:)

CruxisKnight

Contributor
Jan 7, 2021
I hope you are still dancing too, it seems you find it really enjoyable. Having a hobby like dancing is great. It destresses you when you are working on your business. And you can even blog about it then monetize that blog through ads, so your passion doesn't have to be unprofitable at all. But you do have an edge if your niche is profitable in the first place.

Ellenit

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 12, 2021
I hope you are still dancing too, it seems you find it really enjoyable. Having a hobby like dancing is great. It destresses you when you are working on your business. And you can even blog about it then monetize that blog through ads, so your passion doesn't have to be unprofitable at all. But you do have an edge if your niche is profitable in the first place.
Thanks for your idea and encouragement, CruxisKnight! You're right. A hobby can give you a break when work becomes stressful, especially if it evolves physical activity.
I'll be considering the blog idea!!:D

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE 7 Days To Freedom: From Wantrepreneur/Wage Slave To Freelancer
I attended the live session, really loved it! It gives some useful and practical tips on how to...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Three things: 1. Discord Chat is open. Click here for free access. 2. New YouTube Channel...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Its for students who have joined. Did you sign up? Hey Rob, been watching your infoproduct and...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Any chance to make it available outside of US? It has been available outside of the US on...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
If there’s one thread I see repeated over and over again on the forum, it goes like this: “I...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Thanks for clearing that up. What do you recommend for those who are still in the process of...

Forum Sponsor

Over 100 Fastlane Students
More Details...

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...