The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Introduction -- George from the StartUp Team

TheStartUpTeam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 31, 2013
New York, NY
Hi everyone,

My name is George. I’m with a company called the StartUp Team. We’re a New York-based startup whose mission is to empower startups and small businesses by (1) taking entrepreneurs through the process of building a business and (2) providing them with the services that they need to do so.

I joined The Fastlane Forum in order to continue to learn about the challenges and opportunities that startups and entrepreneurs face and, hopefully, offer some useful insights about how to overcome those challenges and take advantage of those opportunities.

I look forward to getting to know you all!

Best, George

The StartUp Team

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Hey George! Welcome to the Fastlane Forum. Your business is a terrific fit. I think you will have fun here. Check out http://www.themillionairefastlane.com/download.html It should be required reading for every one of your clients. :)

You might want to add some of your own personal history to this thread, so that people know what your background is. Also, any insights as to the start up you are working on... I bet you have some great stories about what it takes to bring something to life.

Take off your coat, stay a while, and get the hang of the place. We're glad you are here, and I look forward to your insights.

I removed your links until you gain some credibility around here, so that our members don't misconstrue it as spam.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
A start-up to help start-ups, have you built any businesses prior?

Soon someone will need to start a start-up to help start-ups who are trying to help start-ups

TheStartUpTeam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 31, 2013
New York, NY
Vigilante,

Thanks very much for your message, and I certainly understand.

Sure thing. I'm an attorney who started and participated in several nonprofits and small businesses after graduating from law school. In doing so, I realized that, while I knew about my causes or products, I didn't always know about the process of building a business and the services required to do so. And even when I realized that I might need a service, it was an unnecessarily time-consuming process to find competent service providers. I assumed that others probably faced similar challenges, which I found to be the case in my personal relationships, as friends with ideas would constantly ask for my assistance in how to start or build a business. While I was happy to help them, there was only so much that I could do as an individual. So I went about building what I felt could be a sustainable institution that could provide relevant services to them (as well as to others similarly positioned), recruited the very best team members that I could find...and The StartUp Team was born.

As to your question of what it takes to bring an idea to life, I think that there are several. These are general, but I think that they are among the most important:

1. A high level of commitment, which takes one through the challenging times that will inevitably come.
2. A disposition of flexibility and openness to adjusting, as the end product will rarely be the precise product that was initially envisioned.
3. An ability to rigorously think through and solve problems, from products to user interface to pricing to marketing to personnel.
4. An understanding of how to effectively manage time, money and people. This is absolutely critical, but, too often, great ideas don't materialize because the brilliant entrepreneurs who conceive them don't sufficiently master these management skills.

Best regards,

George

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
There seems to be different skill sets between people who :

1. have ideas and
2. can take action on those ideas
3. see their ideas through to volition and finally

4. are then capable of leading an organization around their idea(s)

What % of entrepreneurs that you encounter would you say are capable of running a company?

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Nice site George... Google..

Few points..

1. You and your team are not listed on your site, are you creating a bio page? You should.

I mean you said above you have put together the "very best team". Yet you name none of them on your site. Unless I am missing that link.

and a few real testimonials might help also..

Good luck though..

TheStartUpTeam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 31, 2013
New York, NY
Vigilante,

I think that you're absolutely right.

People who have ideas are often creative and visionary, and they thrive when thinking about the big picture and imagining solutions to the world's problems. In many ways, entrepreneurial imagination requires the absence of constraints on the mind. One thinks of Einstein, who was an entrepreneur of ideas in a sense. On the other hand, effective business execution requires the ability to live within and abide by the very real constraints of time and money. So I think that there are different dispositions required to succeed in each realm.

I'm of the opinion that almost anyone can learn almost anything, so, to that extent, I believe that nearly every entrepreneur is capable of running a company, if that's what they want to do. As to whether that's the most efficient or enjoyable use of their time, in many cases, it might not be. It's tough to assign a percentage value to that question, but I do think that the question of whether an entrepreneur wants to run a business is a question that he or she should ask.

And if you look at, for example, Steve Wozniak, after he helped found, but before he left, Apple, he worked in engineering while Steve Jobs led the company. He liked engineering, not running a business; so he did that. Sergey Brin, the co-founder of Google, leads special projects there while Larry Page runs the company. So I think it's valuable for entrepreneurs to think about what they love to do, focus on their core competency and, to the extent possible, hire and manage others to do what they are not as adept at rather than assume that they must be involved in every aspect of running the business, which might involve core strengths that are entirely different from those that they possess.

Best, George

TheStartUpTeam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 31, 2013
New York, NY
Many thanks, Jack. I really appreciate it. Great idea about the bio page. And yes, we're gathering testimonials and hope to post them soon.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...