The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Intro | My Gilded Cage on the Sidewalk

Arch

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jan 27, 2023
London, UK
Hello everyone,

I'm Ben, 35 yrs old and based in London. My father always taught me that if you look after the pennies, the pounds look after themselves. I now know this to be a solid Slowlane based saying, because growing up, money was always tight and basic needs like haircuts were always met with a debate on whether my hair was long enough. So I adjusted that saying when I left home for university, and said 'If you focus on making more pounds, then you never have to worry about the pennies'. Its been a driving force for me throughout life, where I've always been in a job. Once I graduated, I climbed the corporate ladder of marketing and digital production - jumping positions every 1-2 years using a creative 'jack of all trades' skillset style which put me ahead of other candidates. This resulted in me landing at one of the big tech companies, where I've grown comfortable with a pay package and work/life balance which is just unheard of in the industry. But ... I've come to see it as a Gilded Cage. I'm unlikely to climb any further, the work has grown boring and stale, I've not learnt a new skillset or even been on training for over 5 years because everything I already knew was 'enough'. And there are people who have been doing this happily for over 10, all comfortably wealthy from it and content to continue. Anyone leaving is a rare occurance.

I first heard about @MJ DeMarco via a credit on a YouTube channel in relation to Unscripted . Intrigued, I got the audiobook and started taking long walks just listening to it. Whoever the voice actor was, he made it sound all so obvious and clear - however like with a lot of things I start, I never got around to finishing it. I got to the chapters where I learned how truly Scripted my life had become but didn't find out what the end solution was, which can be frankly, quite depressing.

Ever since then though, I've had this niggling doubt that everything I was doing seemed to be following the same Script and there was no end in sight, no real solution or way out. I've grown too comfortable on the Sidewalk and all the luxuries that living off the proceeds of my indetured time has provided. I started doing some soul searching through various self help YouTube videos and they all led me back to the same concept that I'm being a MODEL Citizen. Recently though, I bought the actual books - TMFL, Unscripted and Rat Race, because I realised that just listening passively was not allowing me to absorb or study the contents serously enough. Instead of mindlessly swiping boxes on mobile games, or sinking into Netflix series, I'm trying to read as much as I can. I'm just about to finish TMFL and can't wait to re-discover Unscripted in written form.

I've got a plan now, which I know the TMFL says 'Start today, don't put it off until tomorrow!' - but my plan is to continue learning and taking my first baby steps, actively reading and finishing the books so I can understand the concepts. Phase 2 is determined by what I learn, but also a shift in how I'm starting to think - already I'm going through day-to-day life thinking what could be that big idea which covers the 5 Commandments. Its only the beginning, but I feel like I'm at the start of a process that will lead to an escape from this Gilded Cage.

I'm so excited to have found this Forum with the chance to connect with you all, and want to thank MJ DeMarco for the lessons I've already learnt so far.

Cheers,
Ben

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Awesome intro my friend, great to have ya. And way to go in sticking with the book after letting it drop for a while.

Remember, nothing is Slowlane if your long game is Fastlane. If you can succeed in a Slowlane, the Fastlane will be an equal challenge.

Lyzmin

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Jan 30, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Hello everyone,

I'm Ben, 35 yrs old and based in London. My father always taught me that if you look after the pennies, the pounds look after themselves. I now know this to be a solid Slowlane based saying, because growing up, money was always tight and basic needs like haircuts were always met with a debate on whether my hair was long enough. So I adjusted that saying when I left home for university, and said 'If you focus on making more pounds, then you never have to worry about the pennies'. Its been a driving force for me throughout life, where I've always been in a job. Once I graduated, I climbed the corporate ladder of marketing and digital production - jumping positions every 1-2 years using a creative 'jack of all trades' skillset style which put me ahead of other candidates. This resulted in me landing at one of the big tech companies, where I've grown comfortable with a pay package and work/life balance which is just unheard of in the industry. But ... I've come to see it as a Gilded Cage. I'm unlikely to climb any further, the work has grown boring and stale, I've not learnt a new skillset or even been on training for over 5 years because everything I already knew was 'enough'. And there are people who have been doing this happily for over 10, all comfortably wealthy from it and content to continue. Anyone leaving is a rare occurance.

I first heard about @MJ DeMarco via a credit on a YouTube channel in relation to Unscripted . Intrigued, I got the audiobook and started taking long walks just listening to it. Whoever the voice actor was, he made it sound all so obvious and clear - however like with a lot of things I start, I never got around to finishing it. I got to the chapters where I learned how truly Scripted my life had become but didn't find out what the end solution was, which can be frankly, quite depressing.

Ever since then though, I've had this niggling doubt that everything I was doing seemed to be following the same Script and there was no end in sight, no real solution or way out. I've grown too comfortable on the Sidewalk and all the luxuries that living off the proceeds of my indetured time has provided. I started doing some soul searching through various self help YouTube videos and they all led me back to the same concept that I'm being a MODEL Citizen. Recently though, I bought the actual books - TMFL, Unscripted and Rat Race, because I realised that just listening passively was not allowing me to absorb or study the contents serously enough. Instead of mindlessly swiping boxes on mobile games, or sinking into Netflix series, I'm trying to read as much as I can. I'm just about to finish TMFL and can't wait to re-discover Unscripted in written form.

I've got a plan now, which I know the TMFL says 'Start today, don't put it off until tomorrow!' - but my plan is to continue learning and taking my first baby steps, actively reading and finishing the books so I can understand the concepts. Phase 2 is determined by what I learn, but also a shift in how I'm starting to think - already I'm going through day-to-day life thinking what could be that big idea which covers the 5 Commandments. Its only the beginning, but I feel like I'm at the start of a process that will lead to an escape from this Gilded Cage.

I'm so excited to have found this Forum with the chance to connect with you all, and want to thank MJ DeMarco for the lessons I've already learnt so far.

Cheers,
Ben
Found your introduction because of your reaction (thanks @MJ DeMarco for encouraging people to write their introduction). Sounds like a great insight and start of a journey. I ordered Unscripted & Getting Out The Ratrace today. Curious about your findings of the books.

Cheers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...