The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Interesting Tip On What to Do When the Next Google Comes Out

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
Well I was reading and I read about these copy-cat guys who basically became wealthy buy starting European versions of stuff like eBay, Facebook, Youtube, etc...I never realized what an idea that was! When the next big tech business comes about, you could try starting a European/foreign-language version, which then if successful, the company itself might buy up, as happened with these fellows; they started a German-language version of eBay, which eBay then purchased five months later for $50 million; they have sicne repeated the process: http://money.cnn.com/2007/10/02/technology/kopy_kat_kids.biz2/index.htm?postversion=2007100214

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Clever idea. I assume there are some limitations as to how much you can "copy" correct?

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
Well I assume it's not directly copying the software, just copying the idea. I don't think ideas are copyrighted, I mean if someone had managed to create a direct youtube competitor, it would've been the same idea.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
Someone in the US trying to copy the "youtube idea" would have some challenges rolling it out to the UK, China, ect. unless you are very familiar with the culture of the location. It could be done, yes...but it would be extra difficult IMO.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
What about reversing that thinking, find something that works in other markets and bring it to our culturally diverse economy and demographic here.........

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
I think this really can work. For example, in Latin America, most people don't use facebook or myspace. They use Fotolog.com

Here are the local versions:

Ebay = DeRemate.com (bought by Ebay a few years ago)
Paypal = DineroMail.com (made by the same guys behind DeRemate)
FaceBook, etc = Fotolog.com / a little Badoo.com
Digg = Meneame.com
Youtube = VxV (Made by one of the bigger multimedia groups of LA, Clarin Group) this one is not catching really well, people already got used to YouTube

I think the key is time. You cant let the users get used to another site. Taking this into account, you would need to be really prepared and keep up with news about this kind of startups. You could do this by reading Techcrunch and Mashable, but you also need to have intuition about what startup is going to be successfull :)

My 2 cents...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.