The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Inserts/Packaging?

greyman

Eschew Obfuscation
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
May 11, 2016
The Beach
I'm in the process of sourcing my first physical product. I've found multiple manufacturers who could make the product, but as I'll be white-labeling it I'm going to want custom labels/inserts/packaging.

Do you all generally try and negotiate with the manufacturer to do this, or source it from different companies and then package everything once it arrives?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Do it however fits best into your workflow.

Personally if you could get the manufacturer to do it for a competitive price, that seems like a no-brainer. However if you have a pick and pack service or whatever (if you do your own fulfillment, for example) they may be able to do it cheaper/better as well with the added bonus of being able to change the insert on a whim without having to re-order new inventory.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Mostly you will find manufacturers willing to do that for you, but they will often require high MOQ's to do that. You also need to take into account the fact that ready-to-market packaging will be bulkier, and at least slightly heavier than simple transport packaging. The bulkiness in particular can add substantially to freight cost. Packaging is also prone to damage in transit, so you might find that you have a number of items effectively without packaging because of the damage.

It could be worth considering having labeling and packaging done on arrival. That will give you much better quality control, and depending on the nature of the product it can even cost less than having it done in China.

I recommend that you think of your labeling and packaging as selling tools, and don't follow the usual advice given by private labeling "experts" who tell you to just slap on a label. Have a look at my labeling book website and see how much more value you can get out of your labeling and packaging.

Walter

greyman

Eschew Obfuscation
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
May 11, 2016
The Beach
Mostly you will find manufacturers willing to do that for you, but they will often require high MOQ's to do that. You also need to take into account the fact that ready-to-market packaging will be bulkier, and at least slightly heavier than simple transport packaging. The bulkiness in particular can add substantially to freight cost. Packaging is also prone to damage in transit, so you might find that you have a number of items effectively without packaging because of the damage.

It could be worth considering having labeling and packaging done on arrival. That will give you much better quality control, and depending on the nature of the product it can even cost less than having it done in China.

I recommend that you think of your labeling and packaging as selling tools, and don't follow the usual advice given by private labeling "experts" who tell you to just slap on a label. Have a look at my labeling book website and see how much more value you can get out of your labeling and packaging.

Walter

Thanks, Walter! I've actually got your sourcing e-book open right now, great stuff.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Thanks, Walter! I've actually got your sourcing e-book open right now, great stuff.
The sourcing book doesn't deal with labeling and packaging. You can get an idea what the labeling book is about by clicking on the second link in my signature.

Walter

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007