The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"Insert witty introduciton title here"

dreamer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Apr 1, 2012
California
Hello fellow fastlane students, successful entrepreneurs, millionaires, and lurkers! :) My name is Sarah… I’m 24 years young, I live in beautiful California, and I’m a student/full-time secretary/hopeful future millionaire :) For as long as I can remember, I’ve had the hopes and dreams of becoming a successful entrepreneur. I remember wanting desperately to grow up and own a nice upscale restaurant. However that direction changed when I took my first college course designed to figure out “what career path you should take.†I took one of those complex personality tests and scored the highest in medical/public service categories. It was then that I started doing extensive research on medical fields, nursing specifically. I decided I was going to be a nurse. The pay was excellent, the benefits even better, I could work anywhere I wanted, and I could also have a job with intrinsic value. Not to mention all the predictions of nursing being on the rise for a high demand job. I thought trying to own a restaurant/business would be too risky. What if I put all this time and money into it and it failed miserably? I’d be out of a job and probably in debt up to my eyeballs. No thanks… Nursing was definitely for me.

But flash forward to today… and I feel like I’m at a crossroads. I’ve finished all my pre-reqs and was recently added to the nursing program waitlist of my first choice. (Waitlist being about 2 years) Currently I have a stable job as a secretary in the medical field. I work with nurses daily, and I’ve been recently starting to think, “Is this REALLY what I want to do with the rest of my life?†No, it isn’t. However it’s SAFE. It will provide me and my family a modest income, health insurance, and job security. But there’s also a high probability like the nurses I witness daily, that I’ll be over-worked, stressed out, and exhausted from the daunting 12 hour work days.

Fortunately I was able to get my hands on a copy of MJ Demarco’s, “The Millionaire Fastlane†and I have to say… so far this is the best book I’ve eve read! (I’m only on chapter 10) It’s putting my life, my goals, and my reality in proper perspective. The book has “opened my eyes†and made me realize what path I’m currently on, and how it leads to an absolute dead end to the kind of financial freedom I’m looking for. I’ve realized that while nursing is a great career path for some people, it will not supply me with the necessary compensation I need to have the lifestyle I want in my NEAR future.

An embarrassing epiphany I had after reading the book thus far is that I’m definitely a mix between a sidewalker/slowlane driver, (And I want to change this asap!) I’m a mix because like the sidewalker, I have absolutely zero savings, poor credit, I live pay check to pay check, and have no stable plan for my financial future, (yet.) However unlike the sidewalker, I have pretty much zero interest in buying extravagant things I can’t afford to give the “wealth appearance.†I tend to unnecessarily indulge in experiences rather than materialistic items. For example I’d much rather spend money on expensive concert tickets or an awesome steak dinner at a fancy restaurant than buy the hot new stilettos in the store window that everyone is wearing. And I think I drive in the slowlane in the sense that I got good grades, I am college educated, I have a “decent†job working mon-fri which is my only source of income. At the current moment I feel I have indeed “sold my soul for the weekend†The 5 for 2 return definitely sucks.

However the difference between me and the average sidewalker or slowlane driver is that I acknowledge the situation I’m in, I’m definitely not content with it, I refuse to do this long-term, so I am going to try my hardest to change it. I don’t want to retire rich at 60+ (assuming I even get there!) But like Demarco explained in his book, I don’t just “deserve†to achieve financial wealth without obedience to process or accountability. The thing is… I am more than willing and happily ready to hold myself accountable, to start my process and journey down the yellow brick road. I’m also very thrilled to have found this book and this forum to help me along the way. Thanks in advance to any of you successful ladies and gents who take any time out to help me get there. Your time and advice is definitely much appreciated! So here’s to making millions and sipping fruity cocktails beachside! :)

PS: The last two paragraphs from this post come directly from my profile. I thought long and hard about what I wanted to put in my profile, and since not everyone who reads my intro post will also click to read my profile, I thought I’d add it as well. It gives more of an in-depth idea of who I am, and what I’m looking to accomplish here. Thanks for reading!! Now let's be friends :)

Sarah

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• friends.jpg
    friends.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 70

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Hi Sarah,

Welcome!!

I was just like you. I went to nursing school at 28(I'm 40 now), it was safe, secure, and offered really good pay. I got my dream job after school, but within 8 years I had burned out. I went back to school and became an NP. It still didn't do it for me. For several years, to pay the bills, I sold on ebay, it was better than working in nursing. I don't work as a nurse anymore and I recently put ebay to sleep too, my spouse and I develop and sell cloud-based educational software, courses, tutoring products, and test prep materials on a monthly subscription basis...it could not have been any further from anything either one of us knew a thing about...my spouse was an attorney and had owned a few different businesses over the years that failed. It has been really hard, some days I thought, I need to go back into nursing, I need a job. We have stuck with our plan though, and fingers crossed, so far it is working. So my point is, if you are unsure, don't go. Find a problem and solve it. If your spirit calls for you to go it on your own, follow it. I wish I had listened to my gut back then.

I even tried travel nursing and per diem work, I was still trading my time for money and it still wasn't OK, it was not enough freedom.

What part of CA? We are originally from Newport Beach, CA, currently spending some time in the Phoenix area.

Sue

dreamer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Apr 1, 2012
California
Hi Sarah,

Welcome!!

I was just like you. I went to nursing school at 28(I'm 40 now), it was safe, secure, and offered really good pay. I got my dream job after school, but within 8 years I had burned out. I went back to school and became an NP. It still didn't do it for me. For several years, to pay the bills, I sold on ebay, it was better than working in nursing. I don't work as a nurse anymore and I recently put ebay to sleep too, my spouse and I develop and sell cloud-based educational software, courses, tutoring products, and test prep materials on a monthly subscription basis...it could not have been any further from anything either one of us knew a thing about...my spouse was an attorney and had owned a few different businesses over the years that failed. It has been really hard, some days I thought, I need to go back into nursing, I need a job. We have stuck with our plan though, and fingers crossed, so far it is working. So my point is, if you are unsure, don't go. Find a problem and solve it. If your spirit calls for you to go it on your own, follow it. I wish I had listened to my gut back then.

I even tried travel nursing and per diem work, I was still trading my time for money and it still wasn't OK, it was not enough freedom.

What part of CA? We are originally from Newport Beach, CA, currently spending some time in the Phoenix area.

Sue

Thanks for the reply Sue!

I live in southern california as well :) Expensive as all hell, but it sure is beautiful and worth it I think. It's funny because I've traveled and have had some amazing experiences in other countries, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere other than here. (Of course that could always change, and I'm biassed because I have some awesome friends and family here)

Speaking of the whole nursing thing... Now that I've opened my eyes to another path/possibilites, I had a really hard time waking up this morning and going to work. I worked my a$$ off all day, dealt with dramatic nurses, dramatic patients (people who come in with NO real medical issues, they're just super needy and desperate for attention) and for the first time I sat back and thought during my lunch break today, "wow 30 mins away from work to eat lunch is NOT enough time. By the time I get a drink from the soda machine and heat my food up, I only have 20 mins left)

I need to figure my plan out soon and start making some sort of reasonable cash flow. I'd be SO happy if I found something I can do online that matched what I make now. (About $1,800 a month) so I can quit and do that, work more on creating a bigger plan, and start driving the fastlane :)

dreamer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Apr 1, 2012
California
Oh geez... I just read that over again and I'm super embarrassed to have admitted my income. It's pathetic I know!

BUT, it's not forever :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...