The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Initial Idea for a Side Hustle/Business, want to see if it has "Fastlane" potential

Idea threads

msyed0230

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Mar 3, 2021
Hello everyone!

Some background about me: I am a 26-year-old chemist in Atlanta GA working full-time. I have an idea I wanted to implement and wanted to hear your perspective on this:

-I have a Master's degree in Organic Chemistry, because it is a subject I absolutely adore
-I also have a strong interest/background in tutoring people, particularly helping them with topics usually difficult to grasp like chemistry/Organic Chemistry
-My idea: create animated videos showing chemistry reaction mechanisms (from beginner to advanced), but with a twist: set to jazz. As a bonus, I have been a jazz guitarist for about 8 years now and I tend to think about things musically, even when thinking about chemistry problems. My idea is similar to those videos where people "jazzify" speeches of celebrities and such (think Trump set to jazz).
-My reasoning: as far as I can tell, on youtube or other video sites, there are practically none of the 2D-style animated mechanism-type videos that I had in mind.
-The combination of the music with the chemistry is two-fold, I think. Information is reinforced not only by visual representation, but by aural association via jazz (or whatever genre of music I want to tie with this).

Do you see this as a potential "Fastlane"? Or could it be transformed into one later down the road? I'd appreciate any feedback. Obviously, there are some animation skills I'd need to learn but I'm willing to put in the time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kal-El1998

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 25, 2020
Hello everyone!

Some background about me: I am a 26-year-old chemist in Atlanta GA working full-time. I have an idea I wanted to implement and wanted to hear your perspective on this:

-I have a Master's degree in Organic Chemistry, because it is a subject I absolutely adore
-I also have a strong interest/background in tutoring people, particularly helping them with topics usually difficult to grasp like chemistry/Organic Chemistry
-My idea: create animated videos showing chemistry reaction mechanisms (from beginner to advanced), but with a twist: set to jazz. As a bonus, I have been a jazz guitarist for about 8 years now and I tend to think about things musically, even when thinking about chemistry problems. My idea is similar to those videos where people "jazzify" speeches of celebrities and such (think Trump set to jazz).
-My reasoning: as far as I can tell, on youtube or other video sites, there are practically none of the 2D-style animated mechanism-type videos that I had in mind.
-The combination of the music with the chemistry is two-fold, I think. Information is reinforced not only by visual representation, but by aural association via jazz (or whatever genre of music I want to tie with this).

Do you see this as a potential "Fastlane"? Or could it be transformed into one later down the road? I'd appreciate any feedback. Obviously, there are some animation skills I'd need to learn but I'm willing to put in the time.
I think it's definitely viable as a fastlane vehicle. The only thing you'd be lacking is control as youtube can demonetize at will. However, I highly doubt that they'll demonetize the videos you're describing.

I actually have some youtube experience myself. I had a channel on the red pill side of youtube. I pushed out content consistently for 90 days like Gary V advises and by that 90 day mark I was getting thousands of views per day. However because of my content and how it goes against their narrative...I got shadow banned hard. literally got up to 990 subs and hit a brick wall.

About 6 months in I quit because I just didn't have time anymore. My channel still gets about 100 views a day however.

I highly recommend pushing out 1 video a day for 90 days to work youtubes algorithm in your favor.

msyed0230

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Mar 3, 2021
I think it's definitely viable as a fastlane vehicle. The only thing you'd be lacking is control as youtube can demonetize at will. However, I highly doubt that they'll demonetize the videos you're describing.

I actually have some youtube experience myself. I had a channel on the red pill side of youtube. I pushed out content consistently for 90 days like Gary V advises and by that 90 day mark I was getting thousands of views per day. However because of my content and how it goes against their narrative...I got shadow banned hard. literally got up to 990 subs and hit a brick wall.

About 6 months in I quit because I just didn't have time anymore. My channel still gets about 100 views a day however.

I highly recommend pushing out 1 video a day for 90 days to work youtubes algorithm in your favor.
Awesome! Sorry to hear about your channel. Hopefully you found another service where your content will get more visibility (like Patreon?). What is your channel by the way? I'd like to check it out.

I will give that 90-day method a shot. I gotta first learn how to create the animations I want so I'll be attending "YouTube University" hard for a while.

Thanks for the feedback!

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Hello everyone!

I don't think long term YouTube is your way to go. You rely too much on them. I'd look if there is a market with the strategy @Kal-El1998 recommended and make a soft proof. That will take you at least 90 to 120 days. After that I'd switch to your own platform, but still upload content to YouTube, but only small parts from your videos, so they have to go to your platform to watch the whole thing.

msyed0230

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Mar 3, 2021
I don't think long term YouTube is your way to go. You rely too much on them. I'd look if there is a market with the strategy @Kal-El1998 recommended and make a soft proof. That will take you at least 90 to 120 days. After that I'd switch to your own platform, but still upload content to YouTube, but only small parts from your videos, so they have to go to your platform

I don't think long term YouTube is your way to go. You rely too much on them. I'd look if there is a market with the strategy @Kal-El1998 recommended and make a soft proof. That will take you at least 90 to 120 days. After that I'd switch to your own platform, but still upload content to YouTube, but only small parts from your videos, so they have to go to your platform to watch the whole thing.
I got you, so like my own website hosting the main videos, with YouTube working as simply a "sneak-peak" type vehicle. Totally makes sense! Thanks!

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
I got you, so like my own website hosting the main videos, with YouTube working as simply a "sneak-peak" type vehicle. Totally makes sense! Thanks!
Yeah but only after you have ca. 50 videos on your YouTube (full length) And the sneak-peaks have to include a lot of value so you still get views.

Kal-El1998

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 25, 2020
Awesome! Sorry to hear about your channel. Hopefully you found another service where your content will get more visibility (like Patreon?). What is your channel by the way? I'd like to check it out.

I will give that 90-day method a shot. I gotta first learn how to create the animations I want so I'll be attending "YouTube University" hard for a while.

Thanks for the feedback!
Unfortunately I have not kept up with it. I have just gotten too busy with other endeavors. Specifically with the lead generation business I am working on.

I still check in and reply to comments every few days. Some of my subs have even sent some emails and we've had good conversations.

Respectfully though, I would like to keep my channel private for right now haha.

Also I'm not entirely against patreon, but for my videos I never really aimed to have viewers support me financially like that. I wanted YouTube to do that, but even then I knew I wouldn't receive much. Ideally it would just have been one of my many different sources of income and something I genuinely enjoyed.

Valeri

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 4, 2021
As a person who started to be interested in chemistry at his 30, I think that your idea has potential. Take a look at the teaching marketplaces like udemy, and if you think that your idea has added value or can skew it in comparison with other courses then make fast research, copyright it, and ACT!

msyed0230

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Mar 3, 2021
As a person who started to be interested in chemistry at his 30, I think that your idea has potential. Take a look at the teaching marketplaces like udemy, and if you think that your idea has added value or can skew it in comparison with other courses then make fast research, copyright it, and ACT!
Thanks for suggesting I look at udemy! I found another person who is adding animations to his lectures. Thankfully what I had in mind is a bit less "lecture-style" and closer to entertainment, if that makes sense. Also, I have a different vision for how the animations should be.

I'm gonna be digging into some animation software to try some things out

mat287

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Mar 8, 2021
Hello everyone!

I Honestly think this idea is bad. The target market is for people who want to learn about organic chemistry. Ive never taken it. But I have taken basic science classes and a lot of computer science and math classes. Not once have I ever watched a probability theory video because it was entertaining (or had a twist of entertainment). I watched to learn how to solve probability problems as fast as possible and ingest information as fast as possible. Having music that I dont like play in the background would make the ingestion more difficult.

It could work if you are an elite teacher. But only if you are an elite teacher.

Just my opinion.

With that being said, If you really want to try doing, do it. Its just youtube. You'll see relatively quickly whether or not your videos gain any traction and if you have a solid thumbs up to thumbs down ratio.

I don't believe this is quit being a chemist worthy though (unless you truly hate being a chemist)

msyed0230

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Mar 3, 2021
I Honestly think this idea is bad. The target market is for people who want to learn about organic chemistry. Ive never taken it. But I have taken basic science classes and a lot of computer science and math classes. Not once have I ever watched a probability theory video because it was entertaining (or had a twist of entertainment). I watched to learn how to solve probability problems as fast as possible and ingest information as fast as possible. Having music that I dont like play in the background would make the ingestion more difficult.

It could work if you are an elite teacher. But only if you are an elite teacher.

Just my opinion.

With that being said, If you really want to try doing, do it. Its just youtube. You'll see relatively quickly whether or not your videos gain any traction and if you have a solid thumbs up to thumbs down ratio.

I don't believe this is quit being a chemist worthy though (unless you truly hate being a chemist)
Thanks for the honesty. I get what you mean now in terms of the potential pitfall of "entertainment as education". Thinking on my own experiences, any time I wanted to learn something from a video, I am doing like you said: finding something straightforward that gets to the point.

I'll try the animation part still, but I'll give a second thought to the jazz thing.

Mareli

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 26, 2021
Hello everyone!

to start a youtube channel is a good idea and can make you a good amount of passive income but there is a catch...you don't control that business they can demonetize you for any reasons and you would be at zero again. Instead, if you make a channel around a product you build and give free value in videos as much as you can you will easily get sales down the road by helping people.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I don't know much about your audience or if the idea will work but wanted to chime in on YouTube because some are saying not to use it.

LOTS of people use YouTube as part of their fastlane business. The key is that it shouldn't be your *only* platform.

Maybe you start with YouTube, but you should put a link to your main website in the description. There you can also upload videos, write articles, etc. Sell merchandise too with your brand and logo (probably after people are liking and sharing your stuff)

*Use* different platforms, just don't *rely* on them as the main piece of your business. Your business should exist whether YouTube does or not (which like I said, might not be the case at first when you're gaining traction, but should as you expand)

Look at Pewdiepie - started on Youtube but is now on Twitch, FB, Instagram, has his own website (websiteS), stakes in other businesses, etc. This is key if you want to survive and have some control.

MineCraft might have an app through Apple, but they don't depend on Apple. You get the idea. Be bigger than one sales channel.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Your idea reminded me of a learning aid I bought while I was in law school. That was a long, long time ago. But, I wanted to throw it out there. I bought a set of flashcards that were used to learn the basic principles of the different subjects. (There's a lot of memorization in that field.) These cards had a twist. They were take-offs of classic Grim's Fairy Tales adapted to those principles. And they were laying-on-the-floor-funny! They gave me a memorization tool. They used the familiar stories and made their version of them funny, which made it a lot easier to remember those damned lists.

You must find a hook in your presentation to make your videos both interesting and memorable.

msyed0230

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Mar 3, 2021
to start a youtube channel is a good idea and can make you a good amount of passive income but there is a catch...you don't control that business they can demonetize you for any reasons and you would be at zero again. Instead, if you make a channel around a product you build and give free value in videos as much as you can you will easily get sales down the road by helping people.
I don't know much about your audience or if the idea will work but wanted to chime in on YouTube because some are saying not to use it.

LOTS of people use YouTube as part of their fastlane business. The key is that it shouldn't be your *only* platform.

Maybe you start with YouTube, but you should put a link to your main website in the description. There you can also upload videos, write articles, etc. Sell merchandise too with your brand and logo (probably after people are liking and sharing your stuff)

*Use* different platforms, just don't *rely* on them as the main piece of your business. Your business should exist whether YouTube does or not (which like I said, might not be the case at first when you're gaining traction, but should as you expand)

Look at Pewdiepie - started on Youtube but is now on Twitch, FB, Instagram, has his own website (websiteS), stakes in other businesses, etc. This is key if you want to survive and have some control.

MineCraft might have an app through Apple, but they don't depend on Apple. You get the idea. Be bigger than one sales channel.
Absolutely! I'll keep that in mind.

msyed0230

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Mar 3, 2021
Your idea reminded me of a learning aid I bought while I was in law school. That was a long, long time ago. But, I wanted to throw it out there. I bought a set of flashcards that were used to learn the basic principles of the different subjects. (There's a lot of memorization in that field.) These cards had a twist. They were take-offs of classic Grim's Fairy Tales adapted to those principles. And they were laying-on-the-floor-funny! They gave me a memorization tool. They used the familiar stories and made their version of them funny, which made it a lot easier to remember those damned lists.

You must find a hook in your presentation to make your videos both interesting and memorable.
That's a neat concept. I'll definitely keep that last bit in mind. At the moment, my main concern is the animation side, cause that would be the thing that would set it apart from other potential animation-style videos. In my head, the reaction mechanisms would play out with more "style" (this is quite the stretch, but something flashy like those Stick Figure animation fights from mid 2000s).

Fr33zerPop

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 14, 2020
Portland, Oregon, USA
Hello everyone!

As a motion graphics artist (Antifreeze Design) and homeschool dad, I love the idea and have had lots of similar ideas for teaching people. (I love kurzgesagt videos) Buuuuuuut... One of the struggles to create something Fastlane with this type of thing is it's scalability. You need a way to make something once (a cool video) and then sell it to 10,000 people. (a teaching series maybe, or some kind of content that everyone wants to buy).

I agree with the comments above--don't focus on YouTube as the monetization, because "getting popular on YouTube" isn't a very predictable business strategy. (It didn't pass the "wife" test in my house, anyway.) YT will initially be best for promotion of your product. Udemy, Skillshare, or even your own hosted teaching series course is probably a better bet. There are even others out there who's Fastlane business is teaching people like you how to create a winning video course. (I'm thinking of the Jumpcut Academy videos I watched a couple years ago).

Another challenge is that you'll likely need to hire the animation--or anything non-organic chemistry, which might be a big investment. Sure, anyone can kinda animate something, just like anyone can make a video. But if you want to rise above the froth with engaging content that makes people press "buy", you'll need to bring excellence to all parts:
--Your information (check.),
--Your ability to teach (maybe?),
--Your ability to craft an engaging story that inspires, challenges, and/or entertains (???).
So, no shame in being good at only what we're good at. I'm just saying--as a guy who's tried to "learn" mechanical engineering for his neat inventions-- If you're seriously trying to build a business, you'll probably want to focus on your core skill, and then buy the things you decide you don't want to take 10,000 hours to learn. And that could be a big expense you'll want to factor in.

Although I'm making progress, I've struggled to find a business idea in creative work but I'm committed to these tenets, which might inspire ideas for you:
-- Create something where my expertise adds unique value (why? It helps me create my niche and unique value that is not as easily stolen/copied)
-- Create something I'm passionate about (why? It's necessary for surviving the dip when things are just hard work)
-- Create something scalable (why? Because we're here to scale an idea and it's profit, not just make jobs for ourselves)

Good luck! Post again with your progress. The beauty of this internet era is that there's a niche for almost everyone, and it doesn't take a very large slice of that pie to find some success.
I'm hoping to do a summary of mine, once I get it off the ground and headed in the right direction.

Last edited:

msyed0230

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Mar 3, 2021
As a motion graphics artist (Antifreeze Design) and homeschool dad, I love the idea and have had lots of similar ideas for teaching people. (I love kurzgesagt videos) Buuuuuuut... One of the struggles to create something Fastlane with this type of thing is it's scalability. You need a way to make something once (a cool video) and then sell it to 10,000 people. (a teaching series maybe, or some kind of content that everyone wants to buy).

I agree with the comments above--don't focus on YouTube as the monetization, because "getting popular on YouTube" isn't a very predictable business strategy. (It didn't pass the "wife" test in my house, anyway.) YT will initially be best for promotion of your product. Udemy, Skillshare, or even your own hosted teaching series course is probably a better bet. There are even others out there who's Fastlane business is teaching people like you how to create a winning video course. (I'm thinking of the Jumpcut Academy videos I watched a couple years ago).

Another challenge is that you'll likely need to hire the animation--or anything non-organic chemistry, which might be a big investment. Sure, anyone can kinda animate something, just like anyone can make a video. But if you want to rise above the froth with engaging content that makes people press "buy", you'll need to bring excellence to all parts:
--Your information (check.),
--Your ability to teach (maybe?),
--Your ability to craft an engaging story that inspires, challenges, and/or entertains (???).
So, no shame in being good at only what we're good at. I'm just saying--as a guy who's tried to "learn" mechanical engineering for his neat inventions-- If you're seriously trying to build a business, you'll probably want to focus on your core skill, and then buy the things you decide you don't want to take 10,000 hours to learn. And that could be a big expense you'll want to factor in.

Although I'm making progress, I've struggled to find a business idea in creative work but I'm committed to these tenets, which might inspire ideas for you:
-- Create something where my expertise adds unique value (why? It helps me create my niche and unique value that is not as easily stolen/copied)
-- Create something I'm passionate about (why? It's necessary for surviving the dip when things are just hard work)
-- Create something scalable (why? Because we're here to scale an idea and it's profit, not just make jobs for ourselves)

Good luck! Post again with your progress. The beauty of this internet era is that there's a niche for almost everyone, and it doesn't take a very large slice of that pie to find some success.
I'm hoping to do a summary of mine, once I get it off the ground and headed in the right direction.
Thanks for all the great feedback! So, I've actually spent some time practicing a little animation, but more importantly, doing some research into the market for this kind of content. Unfortunately, all evidence I've found is showing me:

1) The market size for organic chemistry course content is actually quite small from the looks of things. I see a ridiculous amount of course material online (lecture-style, animations, etc.) but the views/supporters/customers consistently stay within the 50-60,000 range at the highest (Youtube, Udemy, some other places I've seen).

2) My style of videos that I was hoping to make would, at best, attract intermediate-to-advanced or die-hard fans of organic chemistry. I am TOTALLY for making introductory content, but there are already way too many videos on intro organic chemistry. This is definitely only a fraction of a fraction of the slice of pie as far as I can see.

I think I may step back from this idea and venture into something else that doesn't directly involve something I'm quite passionate about (do what you hate right?). Another issue with this idea is that, taking into consideration your advice on hiring animators, I definitely do not have the money to do something like that. So, I'm going to have to find something where I can develop the skills necessary on my own.

I don't know enough about other markets (or even, the best way to start looking for trends aside from everything MJ said in his books), so I'm going to do some digging around this forum and beyond to help inspire me.

Best of luck on your journey and I hope to see a summary of what you've accomplished soon!

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
617%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Let's see.

Control: None. Youtube will be your strict daddy and will spank you with demonetization.

Entry: None. A 4 year old can have a youtube channel.

Need: Definitely none.

Time: Kinda... your videos can do well and get watched even when you're sleeping.

Scale: Kinda... they could go viral and you could make a bit of money without having to build out systems.

The idea gets a 2/10 for CENTS.

msyed0230

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Mar 3, 2021
Let's see.

Control: None. Youtube will be your strict daddy and will spank you with demonetization.

Entry: None. A 4 year old can have a youtube channel.

Need: Definitely none.

Time: Kinda... your videos can do well and get watched even when you're sleeping.

Scale: Kinda... they could go viral and you could make a bit of money without having to build out systems.

The idea gets a 2/10 for CENTS.
Haha straight to the point, thanks! I wasn't planning on using Youtube for actual monetization purposes but for promotion/gaining traction per the suggestions of others here. But you are definitely right about Need and that's what I am starting to realize.

Fr33zerPop

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 14, 2020
Portland, Oregon, USA
Haha straight to the point, thanks! I wasn't planning on using Youtube for actual monetization purposes but for promotion/gaining traction per the suggestions of others here. But you are definitely right about Need and that's what I am starting to realize.
With respect to JohnnyBoy's valuable assessment, remember that JohnnyBoy doesn't have that need. But that doesn't mean it's not there. If you're solving a problem someone has, you probably have an audience somewhere. As a homeschooling dad, I can see that solving a need. But my caveat is that at face value, yeah, this idea (deployed for YT fame only) only gets a 3/10. This is similar to my current venture (animation graphics), so now the task is to take Johnny's analysis and address each of those problems to make it CENTS qualifying. This includes the Need. Because it's going to be a small niche, you'll need to be careful to validate it and make sure that audience really exists, or find a way to adjust the product to widen that audience.

-- Find a problem/improvement you can solve for a group of people
-- Make sure you're passionate enough about the solution that you'll survive Seth Godin's "dip"
-- Craft a CENTS-worthy product

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Hi

Idea is cool :)
My take would be to do it once and get some cash for the future.
$50 a course, 1000 sold would give you some head start for a fast lane.

Based on your idea similar one popped into my mind (that anyone is welcome to use ) : what if linear algebra was taught with rap music in a background :D ?
(assuming that rap is still listened by youth, ofc )

Anyway, idea might not be a fast lane, per se, but might a first step into one.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@msyed0230 post some videos and see
drive some traffic to them and see

i am about to do similar with engineering / teaching content. so am interested!

i am in ATL if you would like to buy me lunch / talk! :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.