The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Indie Author/Publisher Unscripted

TheJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 19, 2017
Tennessee
I'm a fiction author who started in indie publishing back in 2012. Since then, I've built a solid six-figure income and a strong reader base.

I've read TMF multiple times and just listened to and read the hard copy of Unscripted . So fantastic that I bought copies for my three brothers.

As the landscape of publishing continues to change, I want to build an empire that utilizes MJ's unscripted tenets to stand the test of time. Right now I feel like my moat needs work. I'm ready to dig and throw in some gators.

Look forward to getting to know the crew.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Nice! Welcome aboard.

Since then, I've built a solid six-figure income and a strong reader base.

You're three-quarters of the way home! Have you been saving your income for the money system?

Tiger TT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 25, 2015
Welcome to the forum. Do you have any suggestions on how to write productively?

TheJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 19, 2017
Tennessee
Welcome to the forum. Do you have any suggestions on how to write productively?
Absolutely. For me, it all boils down to habit. Write at the same time every day. Write in the same place every day. Have the same writing routine every day.

When I was starting out, I would set a goal of XXX words per day. It doesn't matter what the number is. I don't care if it's 50 words. Just the act of doing it get the habit ball rolling.

Now, when I'm in book mode, I get up at 5am to write. Why? Because by the time the kids and wife get up, I got my most important work done. It also lets me lead the day I want.

But the key, and what I tell everyone that asks how to make, is: "Just keep writing."

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Because by the time the kids and wife get up, I got my most important work done. It also lets me lead the day I want.

How can that be?

I was told that if you had a busy life with wife and kids one can't do this Fastlane stuff!?? They say "Fastlane" is only realistic for 20 year old boys with no kids, wife, or mortgage.

Thanks for proving that the excuse is only to keep comfortable sidewalkers/slowlaners, comfortable.

TheJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 19, 2017
Tennessee
How can that be?

I was told that if you had a busy life with wife and kids one can't do this Fastlane stuff!?? They say "Fastlane" is only realistic for 20 year old boys with no kids, wife, or mortgage.

Thanks for proving that the excuse is only to keep comfortable sidewalkers/slowlaners, comfortable.
I know, right. People have sooooo many excuses. That's what I love about your books, my friend. NO excuses. Just get shit done. In my industry, artists love to complain. Nut up and get 'er done.

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
I'm a fiction author who started in indie publishing back in 2012. Since then, I've built a solid six-figure income and a strong reader base.

I've read TMF multiple times and just listened to and read the hard copy of Unscripted . So fantastic that I bought copies for my three brothers.

As the landscape of publishing continues to change, I want to build an empire that utilizes MJ's unscripted tenets to stand the test of time. Right now I feel like my moat needs work. I'm ready to dig and throw in some gators.

Look forward to getting to know the crew.

Welcome!! nice to have you here!

just one question: iam always curious about picking genre/niche in self pub", did you make a big research before jumping in or did you just go with your gut?

TheJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 19, 2017
Tennessee
Welcome!! nice to have you here!

just one question: iam always curious about picking genre/niche in self pub", did you make a big research before jumping in or did you just go with your gut?
When I first started I was clueless. Over time I figured out that finding the right genre and subgenre could help. It's not nearly as important with fiction, but still helps. Definitely important for writers looking to jump in.

Chris Fox wrote a good book, WRITE TO MARKET (http://amzn.to/2CWcdNW) on researching genres. We use his technique when we're researching viability for new authors. Good way of seeing what genres are saturated and what's not. See if we can carve a niche within that realm.

Tiger TT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 25, 2015
Absolutely. For me, it all boils down to habit. Write at the same time every day. Write in the same place every day. Have the same writing routine every day.

When I was starting out, I would set a goal of XXX words per day. It doesn't matter what the number is. I don't care if it's 50 words. Just the act of doing it get the habit ball rolling.

Now, when I'm in book mode, I get up at 5am to write. Why? Because by the time the kids and wife get up, I got my most important work done. It also lets me lead the day I want.

But the key, and what I tell everyone that asks how to make, is: "Just keep writing."
Thanks. I'm writing my 2nd eBook. I can write 200-300 words almost everyday. It takes 30-60 minutes to achive that.

But with that speed it will take a lot of time to publish my book. So I sometimes want to be able to write long hours everyday and publish my book quickly, however I just can't write more than an hour/day.

Thanks for the suggestion.

TheJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 19, 2017
Tennessee
Thanks. I'm writing my 2nd eBook. I can write 200-300 words almost everyday. It takes 30-60 minutes to achive that.

But with that speed it will take a lot of time to publish my book. So I sometimes want to be able to write long hours everyday and publish my book quickly, however I just can't write more than an hour/day.

Thanks for the suggestion.
So what I do. Wake up an hour early. You just doubled your writing time.

Tiger TT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 25, 2015
So what I do. Wake up an hour early. You just doubled your writing time.
I have the whole day to write. But the problem is I'm not able to write longer than an hour.

It starts to become like a torture if I try to write for long hours.

TheJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 19, 2017
Tennessee
I have the whole day to write. But the problem is I'm not able to write longer than an hour.

It starts to become like a torture if I try to write for long hours.
Do writing sprints. Start with 5 minutes then take a 2-minute break. Then do another. Type without stopping and see how much you get during each sprint. Do that for a half hour total and work your way up to an hour of sprints/breaks.

From there move up to 10 minute sprints with a 3-minute break.

Then 15min with 4min break.
Then 20min with 5min break.
I usually cap out at 30 minutes just because my hands go crazy.

Tiger TT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 25, 2015
Do writing sprints. Start with 5 minutes then take a 2-minute break. Then do another. Type without stopping and see how much you get during each sprint. Do that for a half hour total and work your way up to an hour of sprints/breaks.

From there move up to 10 minute sprints with a 3-minute break.

Then 15min with 4min break.
Then 20min with 5min break.
I usually cap out at 30 minutes just because my hands go crazy.

This is awesome! I did one 5 minute and two 8 minute sprints today. The result? 260 words, which is good in my opinion. Thanks for your suggestion.

Do you have any book recommendations on writing non-fiction?

Or any recommendations on writing sprints?

I'm currently writing according to principals in these books:

How to Write a Lot - Paul J. Silvia
Deep Work - Cal Newport

TheJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 19, 2017
Tennessee
This is awesome! I did one 5 minute and two 8 minute sprints today. The result? 260 words, which is good in my opinion. Thanks for your suggestion.

Do you have any book recommendations on writing non-fiction?

Or any recommendations on writing sprints?

I'm currently writing according to principals in these books:

How to Write a Lot - Paul J. Silvia
Deep Work - Cal Newport
I don’t. Just take a look on Amazon.

Eisenstein

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Dec 1, 2017
Heidelberg, Germany

I do have the same problem. I was writing 2-3 hours today, and now I have to stop just because I feel the quality will suffer if i keep writing. I really want to write 10 hours ...

TheJackal, your accomplishments are great! Welcome to the forum :)

Last edited:

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

Even though authoring isn't my bread and butter, I make it a point to write every day. It gets my brain moving. (never mind the upvotes!)

In the morning, I hop onto Quora, check for questions and do 5-10 write-ups depending on the post load-up. Some heavy-hitters on Quora with a million views a month actually write FORTY posts a day.

Of course, there's research involved in some of the posts involving sciences, finance and economics.
But the research is mostly supporting material around the Quoran's single debacle.

I do have the same problem. I was writing 2-3 hours today, and now I have to stop just because I feel the quality will suffer if i keep writing. I really want to write 10 hours ...

Take a break now and then during your writing. Do short bursts.

In the military, no soldier ever fires his weapon on full auto. Short bursts are much more efficient.

Same goes with writing.

In breaks, it doesn't mean you are doing nothing. When I used to write up for my own novels (now shelved due to Fastlane demands), I would walk around the room, reconsider some scenes mentally and how to more properly depict them, and maybe have a sip of water.

Yes, I walk around and think. Walking is good exercise. :)

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

Forget about it. When it comes to creative work, 4 hours a day on average is probably the most you'll be able to do over the long term (2-3 hours is actually pretty good).

TheJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 19, 2017
Tennessee

The only time I go over a 2-3 hours is if I've set a deadline. What everyone else said is right on about going over that time, at least in my experience. I have a couple friends who are machines and have the ability to churn out 10k plus days, but they are the exception.

Tiger TT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 25, 2015

I ordered some books from Amazon.com. I will apply what is in those books. If they help me write more productively then I will share them here, so that everyone benefits from the books.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...