The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

In case of emergency, buy red lipsticks.

Anything related to investing, including crypto
D

Deleted70138

One of my friends, working in beauty products company, just told me that from the beginning of the lockdowns women have been buying red lipsticks vigorously, which led to company running out of it. Last time when similar thing happened was in 2008 (take it into account that my country was also in war, in addition of global financial crisis).
What would be some psychological tendencies leading to this phenomena and has anybody in other countries seen anything similar?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Speed112

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Dec 5, 2013
Over here, over there.
One of my friends, working in beauty products company, just told me that from the beginning of the lockdowns women have been buying red lipsticks vigorously, which led to company running out of it. Last time when similar thing happened was in 2008 (take it into account that my country was also in war, in addition of global financial crisis).
What would be some psychological tendencies leading to this phenomena and has anybody in other countries seen anything similar?
That's an interesting observation. I do wonder why that would be... It might have something to do with looking good to feel good in times of distress.

If you look, however, at Google Trends you'll see a noticeable dip at the beginning of March that sustains up to today (in comparison to last winter) in terms relating to lipstick, which is also interesting.

Is there less overall interest but more buyer's intent during times of crisis?

Anyone else have direct insight on this niche to corroborate the observation?

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
That's odd because lipstick sales have plummeted.

Women are buying fashionable face-masks so lipstick is not on display hence the fall.

Even in France there has been a 75% drop and they are the chicest women in the world. The mothers literally teach the daughters how to apply make in a chic way from a young age. They are shifting to eye make up as that is the 'sexiest' focal point now.

Where do you live that women are buying lipstick all of a sudden?

Dan

D

Deleted70138

Where do you live that women are buying lipstick all of a sudden?
Republic of Georgia.
They are shifting to eye make up as that is the 'sexiest' focal point now.
That's true, but how about plethora of selfies females take while at home? Probably they work harder to look good in photos than in real life.
If you look, however, at Google Trends you'll see a noticeable dip at the beginning of March that sustains up to today (in comparison to last winter) in terms relating to lipstick, which is also interesting.
But upward trend of "how to have a good makeup", which also includes necessity of lipstick.
Even beauty company stocks - Avon, Estee Lauder, Loreal, all have had 30-100% increase in price from post covid prices.

trylks

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 4, 2020
Europe
Reminds me of the skirt length (Hemline) theory. I would not base investment decisions on it, in the best case scenario you may analyze significant amounts of data and write a paper about a correlation that may fail to hold at any time.

D

Deleted70138

Reminds me of the skirt length (Hemline) theory. I would not base investment decisions on it, in the best case scenario you may analyze significant amounts of data and write a paper about a correlation that may fail to hold at any time.
Men's underwear index seems more legit, but hemline does bring some muse.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Not sure if the answer has been given in this thread (have only read the OP). But.

The reason is that women started using more video conferencing tools and therefore seeing themselves on camera more. This makes them more self-conscious about their appearance because a) they see their own image more and b) cameras distort so they feel uglier.

On camera, you need makeup that "pops" more to look good.

A beauty products company should realize things like this.

Martzee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Oct 6, 2020
Denver, Colorado, United States
yes, the same goes with toilet paper...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.