The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Importing Question

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA
Hey all,

I'm trying to navigate the confusing waters of importing goods from china for resale. I have everything lined up with the supplier, but the importation process is more involved than I anticipated. Does anyone have any insight?

Hire a customs broker? Who to hire off shipping?

It's about 2.25cbm of goods, $5,000 worth of goods.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Hey all,

I'm trying to navigate the confusing waters of importing goods from china for resale. I have everything lined up with the supplier, but the importation process is more involved than I anticipated. Does anyone have any insight?

Hire a customs broker? Who to hire off shipping?

It's about 2.25cbm of goods, $5,000 worth of goods.
Without a lot more detail I can only generalize, but regardless of country of destination, the rules and processes are almost identical.

Assuming you have been quoted an FOB price (stating port of loading), you should find a local freight forwarder. By local, I mean as near as possible to where you are. Almost every freight forwarder will have a Customs Broker on staff. Get the forwarder to quote you a price for delivery to your door, including customs clearance. Get the quote in writing. (Those who have my book know why I emphasize that point.)

Ask the forwarder to quote you for sea freight as well as air freight. Even for 2.25cbm, air freight may cost no more than sea freight if you have a good forwarder. The forwarder will need to know package dimensions, weight, nature of the product, as well obviously, as the loading and delivery address.They will contact the supplier and arrange for shipment.

If you have not yet confirmed the order, may I suggest that an order of that value is very high for a first order and that can be risky if you have not dealt with that supplier before. Also, if you have found the supplier through Alibaba, chances are you are dealing with a trader and not a manufacturer, even though they might tell you that they are a manufacturer. The price difference can be huge - as much as 50% cheaper if you buy direct from the manufacturer.

Let me know if you need more help.

Regards,
Walter

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!