The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Immigration?

Anything related to matters of the mind

LaughedAt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 20, 2007
Israel
I have created this thread to explain my situation and also to discuss immigration in general!
I was born and raised in Israel, and without going into too much political details let's just say that I witnessed more wars in my 19 years on Earth than anyone can handle and it's taken its toll on me, no matter how hard I try to be happy, there's always something around that causes me depression, I consider myself to be a very positive person but lately things have gotten very ugly, last year I "escaped" to Canada & the US for one month and it felt like heaven spending time in such a laid-back environment, so lately I've been thinking about leaving my country for the sake my own well-being and happiness, and as MJ said it's good to make geographical changes to supplement your own vision, unfortunately I'm left with a very hard dilemma where I have to choose between leaving my home country and being thousands of miles away from parents and friends or staying in my unsupportive environment and maybe try to change the way I feel about my country (eventhough it's highly unlikely)!
I would like to hear your thoughts and also to hear from people who live away from their birthplace and how easy it was to adjust and fit in!
Any advice would be much appreaciated because I do feel that this decision might have a massive impact on my future!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LaughedAt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 20, 2007
Israel
Bump! No one left his hometown to live somewhere far away? I'd love to hear from people who already did it!
Thanks in advance!

BryanC

Banned
Oct 20, 2008
Palm Beach
It is definitely suggested that you pursue a place of providence which provides you at least basic sanity. War is no pretty thing. I have not been near the conditions you describe in your post, but I have been able to overcome adversity by investing first in my self and then through serving humanity. I have grown up in an environment which is very much the epitome of the proverbial underclass of America where Collectivism and Government aide is the prime belief so I can see exactly WHY you would want to abandon your home for a better living environment. It's been hard for me growing up where I have grown up, I have lost a lot of good friends to the streets but I know for certain that I prefer it over a war like plagued society. I understand the realities of those places where poverty is the norm and war is constant. I was just in Jamaica a few years ago visiting friends and the place is totally impoverished ******** ** **** *** *** has done. If you are a citizen there, you realize there is not much to live for and there is virtually no escape because you don't even have access to the resources TOO escape. You can't just get a job save up a few thousand dollars and say, "Alright I'm leaving." So, if you do have the opportune, I would suggest you seize the moment.

I am pretty sure the U.S. economy is going to get pretty bad from here on out and we are looking at 20 years before the reality sets in that there will be no turn around but, these conditions may be favorable to your home. America, in decline or not is still a utopia compared to the far off lands. Here we have amazing foods, lodging, and plenty of entertainment so there is absolutely tons of value! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

chrisluge17

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jan 13, 2009
Hillsboro, OR
Leaving home to start a new life is difficult, but it's worth it.

I have three friends who are in college in the states. One is from Germany, the others are from the US. Nina, who used to live in Germany, has been here in the US to earn her degree in Psychology and Child Development. The degree is better in the States, as she can go back to Germany and make more money there. She was pretty shy when she first came to the US, but she just kept working hard and now, she's got one semester left of school. She didn't speak English very well, but now you can't that at all.

I had a Spanish teacher in high school who taught us three things when you start something new...

1. Be willing to take risks. You never know where you could end up.
2. Be willing to appear foolish. Life is hard enough, you might as well make your life fun.
3. Be willing to live with vagueness. Learning a second language or even moving to another country is going to e different, and you might understand everything that goes on around you. That's okay, if you don't understand something, ask someone. Even in my life, I don't understand 100% percent of things that go on. It's easier to apply your brain power to getting what you need done than figuring out things beyond your control.

As for me, I joined the US Army and am currently serving in Iraq. I'll admit, there are times I miss my family, but I can call them and send them emails. I'm going home in about 3 months, so that makes it easy to look forward to.

The reason I joined the Army is that I needed to change my enviroment. I was tired of working two jobs and trying to afford college. I took a couple months and listened to my heart...I worked as a wildland firefighter for one summer and that was the first time I had ever been away from home. I worked hard and had a great summer, it was the first time I had taken a HUGE step like that on my own.

The Army...wow, have I been in three years already? It goes fast! I see my family on average every 12 months or so for about a month. And you know what? The first couple days, it's good to be home. But at the end of the month, I'm ready to go back to work. I remember why I left to start my own life haha! Facebook and Myspace keep me up to date on how my friends are doing, but I'm also keeping my own life going over here and making new friends. I have no regrets about joining the Army, I'm proud to serve.

If you are willing to change your life and take the steps to be in Canada and the US already, GOOD JOB! Keep following your gut. After all, once you become a millionaire, you can afford to fly wherever you want and see home whenever you want to!

Commitment to your dreams is key. Your motivation may ebb and flow, but keep your focus. Write clear, concise directions to your goals and believe your goals. Get excited, this will happen! It will take time and effort, but you will do it!

Keep me posted on how you're doing, I'd like to see how you're doing so far. Any help I can give you...

BryanC

Banned
Oct 20, 2008
Palm Beach
Leaving home to start a new life is difficult, but it's worth it.

I have three friends who are in college in the states. One is from Germany, the others are from the US. Nina, who used to live in Germany, has been here in the US to earn her degree in Psychology and Child Development. The degree is better in the States, as she can go back to Germany and make more money there. She was pretty shy when she first came to the US, but she just kept working hard and now, she's got one semester left of school. She didn't speak English very well, but now you can't that at all.

I had a Spanish teacher in high school who taught us three things when you start something new...

1. Be willing to take risks. You never know where you could end up.
2. Be willing to appear foolish. Life is hard enough, you might as well make your life fun.
3. Be willing to live with vagueness. Learning a second language or even moving to another country is going to e different, and you might understand everything that goes on around you. That's okay, if you don't understand something, ask someone. Even in my life, I don't understand 100% percent of things that go on. It's easier to apply your brain power to getting what you need done than figuring out things beyond your control.

As for me, I joined the US Army and am currently serving in Iraq. I'll admit, there are times I miss my family, but I can call them and send them emails. I'm going home in about 3 months, so that makes it easy to look forward to.

The reason I joined the Army is that I needed to change my enviroment. I was tired of working two jobs and trying to afford college. I took a couple months and listened to my heart...I worked as a wildland firefighter for one summer and that was the first time I had ever been away from home. I worked hard and had a great summer, it was the first time I had taken a HUGE step like that on my own.

The Army...wow, have I been in three years already? It goes fast! I see my family on average every 12 months or so for about a month. And you know what? The first couple days, it's good to be home. But at the end of the month, I'm ready to go back to work. I remember why I left to start my own life haha! Facebook and Myspace keep me up to date on how my friends are doing, but I'm also keeping my own life going over here and making new friends. I have no regrets about joining the Army, I'm proud to serve.

If you are willing to change your life and take the steps to be in Canada and the US already, GOOD JOB! Keep following your gut. After all, once you become a millionaire, you can afford to fly wherever you want and see home whenever you want to!

Commitment to your dreams is key. Your motivation may ebb and flow, but keep your focus. Write clear, concise directions to your goals and believe your goals. Get excited, this will happen! It will take time and effort, but you will do it!

Keep me posted on how you're doing, I'd like to see how you're doing so far. Any help I can give you...

Great post! The army is definitely one endeavor that will expand your context and vision of the world. I debated joining a while back for the leadership skills I could gain but decided against it because I realized I was already making tremendous progress since I began this escapade.

What are your personal plans after the army?

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
This was my parents'/family experience. They came to the US in the mid-1970s from the Philippines. My mom's family was able to come to the US but my dad's side only got into Canada and unforuntately, it was in Montreal. My family speaks English and their local dialect so the US was the best option.

My mom had an easier time adjusting because her whole family was with her. My dad experienced more discrimination at the workplace than she did. When they got married, the only place they could afford was in a not so good neighborhood. My dad had to sleep in their only car at night to make sure it wouldn't get stolen. While they were poor, food was amazingly "cheap" compared to back home. They were able to adjust and "fit in" but they did seek out other immigrants from the Philippines.

They kept in touch with family via letters and once a year phone calls. They were able to save up money to fly home a couple of times. I think they've been here for a little over 30 yrs and have gone home maybe, less than 10 times total. It was hard to adjust to new customs and ways of thinking but there was more opportunity here for a better life, not just for them but for any future kids they might have(like me!). My mother's most favorite compliment is that while she raised me in America, you'd think I was raised in the Philippines.

LaughedAt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 20, 2007
Israel
Wow! Thanks everyone for the responses! rep+ for all of you!
chrisluge17 you should be proud of yourself for serving your country, please be safe out there!
As for my country, it's not poverty-stricken, and economy-wise, it's still doing good even in these times, it's just the constant wars going on and the hatred, crimes & problems they spawn, people became used to living in war, but not me!
I have family in both the US and Canada, I've spoken with them about this and everyone said they would love to help make it easier for me, the only thing keeping me from doing it right now is my family, I'm the oldest of my brothers, I have two lovely sisters and an amazing brother and I really don't know how I would feel if I left them and lived in some other place, but at the same time I'm really finding it hard to like it here, and believe me I'm not a whiner, I simply don't have the desire to live here anymore! What a dilemma!
Well of course, in a couple of years I'll be getting my CPA license, and with the new financial reporting systems in place (IFRS) I'd be able to work almost anywhere in the world!
Still, I don't know what I wanna do... :smxE:

chrisluge17

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jan 13, 2009
Hillsboro, OR
Great post! The army is definitely one endeavor that will expand your context and vision of the world. I debated joining a while back for the leadership skills I could gain but decided against it because I realized I was already making tremendous progress since I began this escapade.

What are your personal plans after the army?

Hmmm, for me that is a question that I am still trying to figure out...

I can go on to work for Raytheon, and continue my current job of fixing radar.
I can stay in the Army and get a different job, going over to the officer/warrant officer side of the Army.
I can go back to school with the new GI bill that is coming out....

I have a goal since I was 18, that I would be a millionaire by the age of 30. During that time, I've learned a lot of unwritten rules about how to do it. I haven't owned any businesses yet, but I'm working on that haha.

But yes, taking risks is something we do on this website. How else can we expect to win? It take guts to push yourself out of that comfort zone. Whether that's starting a new business, going back to school, or moving to a new country...

Friends help that transition though, esp if you're all going through the same thing.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Every person is different, but you have to do what makes you happy. Doing that will probably have a positive impact on many others, including family.

Sure, my friends and family would have liked to have me in Chicago, but at what price? I'm sure they'd rather have me 1800 miles away and overflowing with happiness, or 18 miles away unemployed, depressed, and suicidal.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
This reminds me of SNL this weekend when they said something about Jewish passover, and how Jews all over the world say, "Next year in Jerusalem..." when they toast, but Jews in Jerusalem say, "Get me the hell out of here!" when they toast ;) LOL...

Best of luck to you, and only you can make the right decision for you!

- Hakrjak

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.