The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm better than everyone around me, but not enough to become successful

Ritsu

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Feb 6, 2023
Yeah, and I'm struggling right now. I can't talk to anyone about this and this is not my ego speaking, I've been working on myself and my own project for a few years now so the skill gap has become too wide that it's obvious. I can see what they can't see and it's becoming a problem especially when it comes to group project, I'd often deem them as "incompetent" because most of the time when they talk about something (whether we should try this or that etc.) I already know the result whether it's gonna work or not or why it's not gonna work and they won't listen until it actually failed. Kind of my fault to be honest, should've quitted college in the first place. The only solution I can think of right now is to actually become successful, that way I'd be able to meet someone who's above my level. So I'd like to hear your opinion on this, I can't think of any other options outside of accept it as it is or actually becoming successful. Thank you in advance <3

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
Yeah, and I'm struggling right now. I can't talk to anyone about this and this is not my ego speaking, I've been working on myself and my own project for a few years now so the skill gap has become too wide that it's obvious. I can see what they can't see and it's becoming a problem especially when it comes to group project, I'd often deem them as "incompetent" because most of the time when they talk about something (whether we should try this or that etc.) I already know the result whether it's gonna work or not or why it's not gonna work and they won't listen until it actually failed. Kind of my fault to be honest, should've quitted college in the first place. The only solution I can think of right now is to actually become successful, that way I'd be able to meet someone who's above my level. So I'd like to hear your opinion on this, I can't think of any other options outside of accept it as it is or actually becoming successful. Thank you in advance <3
One helpful way to think about other people is to realize that they have individual strengths and weaknesses. Although you may be stronger than them in some or even most areas, you can learn something from everyone around you.

Surrounding yourself with people you deem successful can be good too, but what I've described is a good technique for making the most of where you are at right now.

Ritsu

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Feb 6, 2023
One helpful way to think about other people is to realize that they have individual strengths and weaknesses. Although you may be stronger than them in some or even most areas, you can learn something from everyone around you.

Surrounding yourself with people you deem successful can be good too, but what I've described is a good technique for making the most of where you are at right now.
Thank you so much for the reply. I always believe that everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses, hell I don't even judge people but when it comes to working with them it's a whole another story.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Back in college I always do a draft to show the prof and ask for opinion, before investing more efforts into it.

It is like sending a prototype to the customer.

Everyone has an opinion. The customer’s word is final.

Ritsu

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Feb 6, 2023
Back in college I always do a draft to show the prof and ask for opinion, before investing more efforts into it.

It is like sending a prototype to the customer.

Everyone has an opinion. The customer’s word is final.
Well said, completely agree. There's no point in working on a failing project. Thank you so much.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
So, what's your plan? What is your first step? In what direction are you going to go? How are you going to use your knowledge?

What you are experiencing is part of the journey. You have enough expertise under your belt to see what works and what doesn't in your business life. Experts group things together differently than beginners. They work plans that they know work and they avoid the ones they have seen fail. So, since you are part of the club who knows, make a plan to use it to your advantage.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Yeah, and I'm struggling right now. I can't talk to anyone about this and this is not my ego speaking, I've been working on myself and my own project for a few years now so the skill gap has become too wide that it's obvious. I can see what they can't see and it's becoming a problem especially when it comes to group project, I'd often deem them as "incompetent" because most of the time when they talk about something (whether we should try this or that etc.) I already know the result whether it's gonna work or not or why it's not gonna work and they won't listen until it actually failed. Kind of my fault to be honest, should've quitted college in the first place.
Are you talking about co-workers? It's not clear if you are an employee or an owner in your post.

The only solution I can think of right now is to actually become successful, that way I'd be able to meet someone who's above my level. So I'd like to hear your opinion on this, I can't think of any other options outside of accept it as it is or actually becoming successful. Thank you in advance <3
How would being successful make you meet someone above your level? All of a sudden you have all this money and people who have more money than you just flock to you? Do you think that driving around in a lambo automatically attracts successful people to you?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
How would being successful make you meet someone above your level? All of a sudden you have all this money and people who have more money than you just flock to you? Do you think that driving around in a lambo automatically attracts successful people to you?
That is surely true. I figure when I see someone in a "lambo" the driver is just showing off and probably up to his eyeballs in debt. The word that comes instantly to my mind is stupid! But, I'm not a car person, so expensive cars don't move me. I see them as a money pit that depreciates quickly on a short schedule and ends up as a heap of scrap metal and plastic. Guys, forgive me for being a non-believer. If you want to impress me, show me your well-maintained property, in a good or great location, with a steady documented income stream, that is 100% free and clear of debt. Show me that property and I am totally captivated. I'll think you are brilliant and worth knowing.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
From your post it sounds like you're a student in college and these are other students you're doing a group project with. Is that right?

Here are a few thoughts to consider:

Practice Empathy: As @msufan said, remember that everyone has different strengths and areas of expertise. While you may have a higher level of knowledge in your specific project than your peers others might excel in different areas. Empathize with them and their perspectives.

Effective Communication: Instead of immediately deeming your group members as "incompetent," work on communicating your insights more effectively. Improve your communication skills to share your thoughts and concerns more persuasively. If people aren't listening to you it's likely because you haven't convinced them that your approach is right.

Mentorship Mindset: Stop trying to find someone above your level. Adopt a mentorship mindset and develop leadership skills. In any business you will need the help and support of others and developing solid leadership skills will serve you well.

Collaborative Growth: Collaboration is essential. Instead of focusing solely on "becoming successful" as a means to find peers on your level, collaborate with others to collectively achieve success. Find a balance between your individual expertise and collaborative teamwork. Striving for success is admirable, but success can also be defined by how well you contribute to the growth and success of your team. Building patience in this area will serve you well.

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
If you want to impress me, show me your well-maintained property, in a good or great location, with a steady documented income stream, that is 100% free and clear of debt. Show me that property and I am totally captivated. I'll think you are brilliant and worth knowing.
That's like when MJ posted a picture of his house on here and I thought, "Privacy concerns aside, forget the lambo: this is the imagery he should use to sell more books."

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
Go up the "From Flat Broke To Filthy Rich" ladder - look it up on this forum or on youtube (by MJ DeMarco).

This will make you successful, and you'll be able to execute on bigger businesses with bigger opportunities.

If this is truly not your ego speaking, you'll start making it immediately ;)

(took me almost 2 months to start.)

Ritsu

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Feb 6, 2023
From your post it sounds like you're a student in college and these are other students you're doing a group project with. Is that right?

Here are a few thoughts to consider:

Practice Empathy: As @msufan said, remember that everyone has different strengths and areas of expertise. While you may have a higher level of knowledge in your specific project than your peers others might excel in different areas. Empathize with them and their perspectives.

Effective Communication: Instead of immediately deeming your group members as "incompetent," work on communicating your insights more effectively. Improve your communication skills to share your thoughts and concerns more persuasively. If people aren't listening to you it's likely because you haven't convinced them that your approach is right.

Mentorship Mindset: Stop trying to find someone above your level. Adopt a mentorship mindset and develop leadership skills. In any business you will need the help and support of others and developing solid leadership skills will serve you well.

Collaborative Growth: Collaboration is essential. Instead of focusing solely on "becoming successful" as a means to find peers on your level, collaborate with others to collectively achieve success. Find a balance between your individual expertise and collaborative teamwork. Striving for success is admirable, but success can also be defined by how well you contribute to the growth and success of your team. Building patience in this area will serve you well.
Wow, that's exactly what I need! I'm gonna save this as a reminder. Thank you so much! (dealing with those people still frustrates me but it's my job to convince them I suppose)

Ritsu

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Feb 6, 2023
Are you talking about co-workers? It's not clear if you are an employee or an owner in your post.

I'm still a college student. What I think is that I'll be able to put myself into certain places (e.g. expensive fitnesses, fly in business class, expensive activities, etc.)

Ritsu

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Feb 6, 2023
I'm so glad I posted it here, couldn't get these opinions anywhere else. You guys are not the kind of people that'd just say basic stuff that I already know so... Appreciated it! Thank you so much for giving me all these useful advices and opinions. Big W to you guys <3

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.