The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Im a 21 year old , Aspiring Entrepreneur from Columbus,ohio

SV25

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Nov 30, 2017
Ohio
First and foremost , I need to give a huge thanks to @MJ DeMarco for providing the world with such life-changing information/advice , you're the real deal my man !

Well to start off, my name's Sharief, I'm 21 years old and currently reside in Columbus , ohio . I work as a carpenter for the Union. I don't go to college, though it wouldn't hurt me financially being that i have full ride scholarship threw the military, i choose not to because i don't want to waste my time writing 15 page essays and studying topics that i have no interest in learning. I thought about going for business management mainly to improve my Financial Literacy(which I'm still currently working on so if you have any sources that could help me learn please throw them in a comment !) and learn the "ins and outs" of owning a business but, i feel like i can learn both of those elsewhere.(sorry for the college rant)

Anyways , the reason why i chose to pursue the path of entrepreneurship was simply for the fact that it scares the shit out of me knowing that you are never in control of your own life, living the sidewalk and slowlane lifestyle. Though i don't have kids yet, my strongest WHY is not being able to provide for my children or family in general. I want to be able to spend most if not ALL of my time with family and those who mean the most to me , and thats no way in hell possible threw the sidewalk or slowlane.

Even though most of 2017 was "action faking" for me, i still took the time to better my mindset which was very crucial coming from the sidewalk lifestyle. I replaced my xbox with a stack of books. Stopped hanging out with unproductive friends. Started budgeting and managing my money better and most importantly learned how and why i should value my time. So i started watching videos on Youtube about personal-development, money-management, entrepreneurship, mainly from Ted Talks, Bob Proctor , Gary Vee and bunch of other known youtubers. I also listened to a few audiobooks from Robert kiyosaki which led me to go to a few Real Estate seminars i thought were golden tickets to my road to wealth, until one of them offered a $50,000 "investment" to become a VIP member of their mastermind group...Yes, i turned it down.

It wasn't until i read and finished TMF that gave me the "kick in the a$$" i needed to start spending my time actually learning what it really takes to start a successful business, service, or product . So to keep this one short my concerns are, improving my financial literacy, having no experience in any business/entrepreneurial ventures, and lacking ideas i can create to provide value to the market. I have a couple website and app ideas but have no experience coding/developing either of them, and I'm unsure whether they actually provide value or not. If you took the time to read this whole thing, i really appreciate it and will accept any and all feedback !

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

bbar97

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 1, 2017
South Carolina
Nice dude, i'm in a similar situation. I definitely don't want to just get a job and live the rest of my life making money for someone else. I know for sure that I want to start and own a business but the problem is getting from here to there. Glad there are others like me, good luck dude.

SV25

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Nov 30, 2017
Ohio
Absolutely, I'm still learning the patience thing lol. But staying consistent with the process is KEY ! Good look to you as well :thumbsup:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome aboard.

Can you identify any needs in your line of work? Id imagine there aren't many carpenters who want to moonlight as entrepreneurs, so there might be more chances for opportunity there.

SV25

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Nov 30, 2017
Ohio
Welcome aboard.

Can you identify any needs in your line of work? Id imagine there aren't many carpenters who want to moonlight as entrepreneurs, so there might be more chances for opportunity there.

As of now , no . I'm still fairly new to the trade(3 months in), so a lack of experience may hinder my ability to spot out legitimate needs right now. But I've definitely taken into consideration the entrepreneurial opportunities I may have in this field. What worries me is, I'm not entirely too sure if I should focus on the possibilities here or elsewhere.. Like I mentioned in my intro, I've never been involved in any kind of entrepreneurial venture . So I'm kinda lost on where to start or how to start.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've never been involved in any kind of entrepreneurial venture . So I'm kinda lost on where to start or how to start.

Start with a problem you want to solve.

"Problem" can be anything: Inconvenience, price, function, durability...

Check out Unscripted (my new book) for more details on how to "get in" an opportunity. Pay particular attention to the chapters on value skew, value attributes, and value arrays.

SV25

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Nov 30, 2017
Ohio
Start with a problem you want to solve.

"Problem" can be anything: Inconvenience, price, function, durability...

Check out Unscripted (my new book) for more details on how to "get in" an opportunity. Pay particular attention to the chapters on value skew, value attributes, and value arrays.

Understood and will do. I'll be sure to keep you and the community posted on my progress. I really appreciate the feedback!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...