The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ignorance or Laziness?

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
Hi all,

Anyone else come across ignorance or simply laziness lately?

Recently my mail man has just stopped closing the gate. Now, I have a German shepherd which roams around in the front garden from time to time where the gate is, and the mail man knows this. I've asked him numerous times to make sure to close the gate and all of a sudden he stops.

One thing I do know is he doesn't like big dogs.

Not sure if he's doing it because of the dog or he's just lazy.

Really got me thinking..

Experiences anyone?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

themaxx

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 14, 2014
London, UK
Why is it his job to shut the gate? If I were you I'd install a spring on the gate so it closes automatically. I would be devastated if my dog ran away.

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
Not saying it's his job, but common courtesy doesn't cost anything. The gates we have don't allow for a spring to be attached. We have metal gates that fold apart for the car to get out.

themaxx

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 14, 2014
London, UK
I agree it's a common courtesy, but whether it's the postman or some random door to door canvasser you can't force someone to close the gate 100% of the time.

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
I agree it's a common courtesy, but whether it's the postman or some random door to door canvasser you can't force someone to close the gate 100% of the time.

Totally agree, like I said just common courtesy for others. Doesn't cost anything and doesn't take any extra time. So many cases like this where 1 second of your time helps others.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
It's weird that he is willing to go into a property with a big dog roaming around the yard, sounds like a liability on your end.

Fit an outdoor mailbox next to the gate and keep it locked

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Sounds like excuses on your end OP.
Don't control other people, change your own habits so you don't have to.
You shouldn't be relying on others to work like machines do.

Its a poor mans mentality to be worrying about what postmen do or do not do.
You are crazy for not just looking for a better solution and shelling out the cash.
The external mailbox sounds good, if that doesn't work there are countless solutions.

In regards to ignorance and laziness,
When you are coming at it like you are it is BLAME on your end.
Fix that up.

Common courtesy might not hurt, but it hurts when people try to enforce it by shaming people.
Relax, and be productive with your time. Don't be that guy who when he turns 80, pesters kids on his front lawn. Cuz thats where this is going :p long term unless you fix your brain.

TAKE THE REIGNS, don't curse him or her, or them, cuz you are too lazy to find the right solution.
Love your fellow man, even if he screws up. And do your best so that these hassles are NON ISSUES.
Or man, you are gonna have one annoying and dramatic life, nitpicking everyones behaviours.

On the other hand:
I'd probably close your gate if you asked nice, or put a little sign on it "please close the gate to keep the dog from wandering, thankyou :)"

I figure you are trying to talk about how ignorance and laziness relates to business?
Well, how it relates is exactly like this.
If you EXPECT something you will get burned almost every time.
So, GO TO THE TOP, and be good at what you do, so you get stuff done the first time.
That is how you avoid constant rejections.

Last edited:

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
In no way am I trying to enforce it. The whole topic was based on is 1 second of your time that much to ask? Same with bad service in a shop etc. The mailman was just an example.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
The whole topic was based on is 1 second of your time that much to ask? Same with bad service in a shop etc.

Are you saying that we all just need to take a second and provide courtesy?
Well yes, I absolutely do that in business because it keeps sales leads warm.
Plus its nicer.

If this is your point, how are YOU applying it? Have you thought of any ways tha you yourself can apply it better!!!

In biz, we shouldn't throw stones and say we are better.
We should mend solutions and be the ones who build better.
Don't preach, DO.

Those who do, never have time for blame, because they are too busy "taking that one second" with everything they do.

Plus: Empathy never goes astray
Postman goes to hundreds and thousands of houses all over different neighborhoods.
You think he gets up every morning wanting to go to work at 100%, just so you don't get snippy at him?
Cut the guy a break, he wants to cruise and do it as the job title says, not respond to every request he gets all day.
He isn't in the customer service business, he is in the getting the right mailbox business.

You are being unfair imo.
Take ten minutes to empathise with his position.
Its not like he is gonna get a tip.

Last edited:

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
if you open something you should close it... it is the proper thing to do... that said maybe the regular guy was not there?

I agree that here you are the one who is of utmost responsibility in this situation. My mom doesn't want her dog to get out. she has a bi-fold gate. she has a chain and padlock around it and her mailbox on the outside and scheduled deliveries. only her and my step dad have keys. if you go there unannounced you stand outside the gate and wait LOL

you cannot make other people do anything as has been previously said here. the only things you can control are the things within your own reality and your reaction to it.

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
Like I said it was just an example, my dog doesn't run away anyway. It was the principle and courtesy. The main point of it was have you ever been going through your daily business, I just thought 'well you could of taken 1 second to hold the door for me' or 'you could of helped that old lady pick her bags up'. Not every situation is about bending over backwards, it's common courtesy.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
Like I said it was just an example, my dog doesn't run away anyway. It was the principle and courtesy. The main point of it was have you ever been going through your daily business, I just thought 'well you could of taken 1 second to hold the door for me' or 'you could of helped that old lady pick her bags up'. Not every situation is about bending over backwards, it's common courtesy.
nope because I am the one holding the door open and helping that old lady even tho I need help myself... you get back what you send out. when I need help there is always someone there. there are the few ignorant people here and there but I feel sorry for them, not for me, or what they could have should have done. I step up and don't think about the 100 others who passed by... and again when I am in need angels always appear for me

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
why not see it as thoughtlessness or distractedness you have no idea what is going on in their lives. maybe mailmans mother is in the hospital or he was up taking care of someone else all night and was more tired then usual?

your view on things is the problem not outside forces

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
I am an analytical person...math degree, like to solve problems, etc. Taught the girlfriend a more effective way to load the dishwasher, how to do laundry etc...no dice. Just give up on trying to control people, like others have said. They will always do their thing. But, going back to your story, it should be common courtesy for people to put stuff back the way they found it. It's like when someone comes into your room with the door being shut, then they walk out and leave it open...like wtf?

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
the only people in my immediate reality are my husband and kids... when the kids leave things opened they get called back to close it. (teaching them the proper way to be) the husband too. we have our own little world here inside our home. anything outside is different. if there are people in your life that you need to close doors or put things back that are not there because you want them to be (family friends etc) that can be asked to right the wrong then you lack control over your own personal reality... either by living with roomates or strangers.

everyone should have control over their own personal reality. if you don't then stop blaming other people and fix your shit ;)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.