The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If you were in my place...

SAGAD_01

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Oct 8, 2009
If you were living in my country, what would you do?

Facts:

1.)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The Philippines is the one of the SMS text capital of the world with 1 billion
SMS being sent on a daily basis.

2.)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Philippine mobile penetration rate reached 77% with 70 million mobile subscribers at the end of June 2009. It is expected that the penetration rate of the country by 2013 will grow to 157%.

3.)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The Philippines alone sends on the average 400 million text messages a day or approximately 142 billion text messages sent a year, more than the annual average SMS volume of the countries in Europe, and even China and India.

With those numbers, I think a business venture incorporating SMS messaging would be fastlane…

I’m currently looking for an entrepreneurial premise to approach this market…

As I’m sure that there are a lot of people w/ much more experience, knowledge and fast-lane mentality than me (someone trying to change lanes), please don’t hesitate to throw me some ideas, inspirations or challenges…

I’m all ears and am taking notes…

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
service where people can get needed information via their sms. since you are not an sms provider, and most people will not want to pay via sms. find someone who will provide such needed information and pay you for it.

(requesting needed info for free) customers <---- you information broker through sms ----> businesse (paying)

BurnBright

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 8, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
Opentable is an idea like what eastwind suggests and it is not in the Philippines yet however it is a little more complex then SMS. I have seen on tv those text #### with a question for the answer type companies, with the $2.99 price in small print that could be an option. You would be surprised at what people will pay for instant info.

phade

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Feb 4, 2008
Hawaii
The first thing that comes to mind is a money remittance service. Google money transfer via text and you'll see a few companies doing/trying to set this up. This would probably be quite complex to set up, but likely quite profitable if done right; particularly in countries like the Philippines where, as I'm sure you know, sending money "back home" is very common.

SAGAD_01

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Oct 8, 2009
thanks for all the suggestions...im looking into their feasibility already...

as a newbie, i read almost all the success stories. what i just remembered is the story of CANTWAIT2. He had an idea using sms...

To quote the man himself...

"The concept was this: When you were at the point of wanting to make a purchase such as a video hire, pizza, movies, fast food etc etc…you would text on your mobile phone the “keyword†whether it be “pizzaâ€, “video†or whatever and a promotional offer would be automatically bounced back to you, takes a few seconds. I was going to call the business UDeal. The text would cost the user $0.50c of which I would make up to $0.25c and then I would charge the companies supplying the promotional offers up to $0.75c per display.

It was a powerful offering, as a business what would you be willing to spend to target you advertising dollars so that you only spent them when consumers were at the point of decision and ready to purchase. It was a highly motivated consumer group, asking for a reason to by your product type. Yours would be the only offer sent to the consumer so your target was totally captive."

Anyway, any other ideas? i appreciate all the inputs, they mean the world to me right now...:hurray:

SAGAD_01

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Oct 8, 2009
service where people can get needed information via their sms. since you are not an sms provider, and most people will not want to pay via sms. find someone who will provide such needed information and pay you for it.

(requesting needed info for free) customers <---- you information broker through sms ----> businesse (paying)

or maybe i can enlist the help of an sms agregator...

SAGAD_01

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Oct 8, 2009
2 things to know about my country...unstable economy (poverty) and the continuous rise of unemployment (again poverty)...

i would like to have my entrepreneurial premise focus on those two (or anything similar that would help people)...

funny thing is despite the poverty, almost everyone here owns a cell phone and are continuosly sending sms'...

i mean, people complain about their everyday basic needs but even the poorest can afford to send sms' on a daily basis...

any more suggestions?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Maybe you can start an SMS news service ...

Subscribers get text's on breaking news for their chosen topic ... could be soccer, politics, a particular person -- total customization.

OR

Since poverty is so bad, perhaps a "motivational SMS" service. These ideas aren't necessarily new, but perhaps they haven't been executed well.

OR

An SMS game that sends out puzzles, brain teasers, or anything that engages the user.

As I provider, your premise is to either 1) Entertain 2) Engage 3) Keep informed.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Is mobile payments in use there? You enter your phone number to confirm whatever payment, it sends you a verification text to your phone and you get billed through your phone company. Very slick especially for those who don't/can't have credit cards.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.