The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

If You Use GMail, Might Want to Check This Out

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Not sure what "outside app developers" and "gmail/email apps" they're referring to.
Most people just use Gmail without any plugins or addons right?

ApparentHorizon

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Not sure what "outside app developers" and "gmail/email apps" they're referring to.
Most people just use Gmail without any plugins or addons right?
Apps that can get direct access to your email via API, I'm assuming. Something like Boomerang, that can schedule emails to be sent at a later date for example. Not much different from Thunderbird or Outlook addons.

Though, you shouldn't use any Chrome plugins, unless you absolutely have to. They're not as policed as say the app store.

If you have to access your banking info for example, you can use ctrl+shift+n to open up an incognito window where all plugins are disabled by default. Also make sure you have 2FA.

Cyberdeth

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 10, 2018
Sydney, Australia
This is a scare email with no real basis for concern. Yes, third parties might be able to scan your email, but you have to give them permission to do so. And even then is very rare that they do it. Honestly, it’s not really something that you should worry about.

As per Google still lets third-party apps scan your Gmail data,

"Developers may share data with third parties so long as they are transparent with the users about how they are using the data," Susan Molinari, VP of public policy and government affairs for the Americas at Google, said in the letter to Senators, which was obtained by CNNMoney.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom