The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If you left your home country, what would be the top 3 things you would miss?

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
If you left the country you have lived in your entire life, what would be the items you would miss?

This is for a business. All answers are welcome. It would be nice if you could also say what the country is. Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
1. America
2. America
3. America

....OK :p

1.Freedom (yes we do have freedom regardless of what the whiners claim)
2.Our amazing infrastructure (water, sewage, etc...)
3.Honestly, there are too many things to add to this list. I live in the greatest country in the world during the most bountiful time in history.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Well being in the Netherlands I can still say I have freedom and that doesn't change whether you're a U.S. Citizen. I can go back if I want too. And we have sewage. lol So that's not really something I'm missing. Mostly it's food. I love the dutch food, but there are certain things not available here. And my son, I miss, but anything else, I really don't miss, as I have about everything I had in the U.S. here.

Maybe it's just perhaps where you're moving too, because I suppose if you're in a third world country you may not have sewage or freedom. Maybe not cable t.v., or internet, phone, etc.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
Well being in the Netherlands I can still say I have freedom and that doesn't change whether you're a U.S. Citizen. I can go back if I want too. And we have sewage. lol So that's not really something I'm missing. Mostly it's food. I love the dutch food, but there are certain things not available here. And my son, I miss, but anything else, I really don't miss, as I have about everything I had in the U.S. here.

Maybe it's just perhaps where you're moving too, because I suppose if you're in a third world country you may not have sewage or freedom. Maybe not cable t.v., or internet, phone, etc.

I wasn't saying other countries didn't have sewage :p I was referring to the amazing infrastructure that exists here in general. There are a lot of countries where you don't have freedom though.

Waisec

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Feb 6, 2014
Estonia
1. America
2. America
3. America

....OK :p

1.Freedom (yes we do have freedom regardless of what the whiners claim)
2.Our amazing infrastructure (water, sewage, etc...)
3.Honestly, there are too many things to add to this list. I live in the greatest country in the world during the most bountiful time in history.
I don't think he meant you'd have to move to Iraq or Sierra Leone lol. Majority of EU countries have more freedom than you do

I lived and worked in Dublin, Ireland for a total of about one year. Things I missed over there in no particular order: I missed having hot women everywhere, shops/malls/businesses staying open all day and weekends (BIG ONE), ease of doing anything online (banking, taxes etc), better quality food/more variety/Estonian food

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Ha Ha! Yes, like here in the Netherlands, just for fun on New Years Eve more like a war zone with fire works versus a safe fire work display on a hill in America. I think that was a neat experience. Freedom can be in various ways and have different meanings.

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
Well, I left America a few years ago and am trying to get back home... After growing up there (Dallas, Texas), nothing really feels the same here (Pakistan)...

What I miss almost daily:

1. Safety; the feeling of having an authority over you who CAN and WILL do their best to keep you safe, protected, and healthy (911, a police system without corrupt cops, equality and justice for all, emergency healthcare services, etc)

2. Some basic things like constant electricity available at your home(no blackouts for 3-10 hours a day, running water (bonus if it's drinkable), freedom of speech and living the way you desire, maintained roads, no fear about buying "fake" food, cosmetics, medicine, etc

3. Honesty and simplicity; a society free from hypocrisy and contempt for one another. People who mind their own business and focus on their own life rather than "disowning you" or insulting you for choosing a path different from theirs...

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
1. Not a specific item but tax free imported items in general (taxes on imported cars / bikes can be 300% here and other items get slapped fairly hard as well)
2. The blue carb-free monster energy drink.
3. Seasonal beers (Sam Adams, etc)

sle3pyguii

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 19, 2012
1. In N Out Burgers
2. Hot Cheetos

That was about it for me when I lived abroad.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
I have lived in the Baltics (Estonia then Latvia) for about 5 years now. I can honestly say I don't miss a thing about America.

I have much greater freedom here. Much safer. Better quality food. Infrastructure is much better (internet speeds considerably faster, good public transportation, etc). Lower cost of living. As Waisech so aptly noted, much better looking women.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
1. The Food believe it or not Scottish Restaurants and Takeaways are second to none I don't mean our cuisine I mean our adaption of Indian , Chinese and Italian food. I've been to lots of country's over the world and not tasted food like it.
2. The Views I stay 10 minutes from Glasgow City Centre but 20 minutes from being in the middle of the Campsies near a Loch it really is stunning year round.
3. As mentioned before the usual 24 hour shops and a reliable Police force without (too much) corruption.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
I have lived in the Baltics (Estonia then Latvia) for about 5 years now. I can honestly say I don't miss a thing about America.

I have much greater freedom here. Much safer. Better quality food. Infrastructure is much better (internet speeds considerably faster, good public transportation, etc). Lower cost of living. As Waisech so aptly noted, much better looking women.

I've always had some kind of fear about leaving the country (not sure why) but some of your post make me interested in leaving.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
I've always had some kind of fear about leaving the country (not sure why) but some of your post make me interested in leaving.

I am not saying the Baltics is perfect or for everyone, but it is fantastic for me. I have traveled to at least 70 countries (not sure how many exactly but that may be low), and have seen many places I would easily live.

A few that come to min: Portugal (coastal), Italy (countryside, not city), Croatia (coastal), Czech Republic (anywhere), Lithuania (Vilnius), Estonia, Hungary (Budapest), Turkey (Istanbul), Belgium, Colombia (Bogota or Medellin), Brazil (Sao Paulo), and Costa Rica (outside San Jose) are some that come to mind.

Blackadder

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Sep 17, 2013
The Ozark Mountains
I've lived in mexico for a couple years, so

Things i'd miss

1. books in English
2. hot showers (in the summer a lot of places will turn off the heat)
3. freedom of movement (No Drivers license in a lot of country's means no driving, or be willing to bribe a cop.)
4. The internet (not bad in town but once your i the hills, you will be lucky to have power let along a working phone....but your milage may vary.
5. The "Right" Law (they say you break might break three felonies a day and not know it...but you are fairly certain that you are on the right side of the law for the most part....in some places you don't know WHAT law you might be breaking)
6. Cravings. Snickers was my monster......i'd dream about them...
7.English (there is a reason expats tend to flock to the same area, our mother tongue will draw us no mater how long we haven't spoken it.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
have you tried the absolute zero? (grey claw marks with purple shadeing on a black can) tastes just like green monster but no carbs.
Yes. I prefer the blue. When I was in Afghanistan I lived off of those things.

I'd like to Add Wendy's to my list. I believe the closest one to me is in Singapore. I almost sh*t myself when I spotted it.

Blackadder

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Sep 17, 2013
The Ozark Mountains
I'd like to Add Wendy's to my list. I believe the closest one to me is in Singapore. I almost sh*t myself when I spotted it.

Ah so you had the Wendy's then?

only joking....but you left it too open NOT to take a jab.

Hucryn077

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 19, 2014
The Big 5.
Freedom to start a business in under 24h. ...I mean literally. ..bank accounts. .close corp reg...the whole thing.
Braai (bbq) as you would know it.....
What I wont miss.
Corruption all over...police...government. ..tenders...like crazy.
Crime....our crime rate is unbelievably high.
VAT...or tax...its crazy as well as banking charges.
Oh oh and the worst is B.E.E crap crap crap.
Eddit....I live in South Africa

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.