The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

ID theft protection

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I've seen a few companies out there claiming to protect your identity. Namely Lifelock and LoudSiren. Has anyone dealt with either company? What are your impressions?

I ask because I think I may have been a victim of identity theft. At least 5 different things have shown up on my credit report from a state I have never lived in. Only on Experian though which is quite frustrating.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Peter2

Fastane Legend. RIP.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 2, 2007
Palm Beach, FL
Life Lock is run by an ID THIEF. Check out his back ground. You can do everything these companies do yourself in a few minutes without risking giving out your info to a company that will only INCREASE your rick of being a victim.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I don't know about these companies.

Many credit card companies offer a notification service so you get emailed or called when there is an inquiry to your credit report. It is not too expensive so call yours and find out.

Also, for now, put a fraud alert with the three bureaus. They will have to call you if/when there is an inquiry to your report. Also, call Experian and ask them to provide you more details of what's going on with those items in your report. They will have to provide you with the details so you can determine what is going on.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Good points. I did notice that Maynard had a criminal background for lifelock, but he is no longer part of the company. He stepped down after the news broke.

I was looking into these companies because I am having huge troubles getting through to experian. Their online dispute form is the only way to dispute anything on your credit report, and it won't allow me access. It won't allow me access because the address they have on file doesn't match mine. After several dead ends on the phone I was able to get through to an operator by getting tech support to transfer me. I explained the situation to the girl on the other end. She said that was the only way to file a dispute. We went back and forth a couple times and I asked to speak to a supervisor and was promptly hung up on.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.