The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I was always tired - then changed my life

Aragorn

Still working in obscurity
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jul 1, 2018
Europe
When my business idea first dawned on me I realized that without improving my energy level I would not be able to put this project to life. I was constantly tired and it took me minutes to walk normally after getting up. Not just in the morning but also from a chair if I had sat there for longer than 15 minutes. Due to my tiredness my thoughts too often were imprecise and it felt like living in a blur. It took me forever to get things done.

If I wanted to change my future something had to change!

Here's what I did to raise my energy levels significantly:
  1. Sleep. I usually hit the sack between 10 pm and 10:30 pm. Very rarely I allow myself (or am interested in) watching a late night movie. Our cat is my organic alarm clock. We get up between 4 and 5 am and start our day. He goes outside to do his stuff. I stay inside and do mine.
  2. Early morning routine.
    1. First thing in the morning after waking up is taking a zip of sunflower oil in my mouth, keep it there for a couple of minutes, then spit it out. Oil pulling, as it is called, is part of Ayurveda. Its health claims have not been supported by a lot of scientific studies. I don't care. I only know that my oral hygiene has improved big time. My gum and teeth are extremely healthy. Which, by the way, saved me thousands in dentist costs.
    2. Secondly, I drink at least two large cups of warm water.
    3. Reading/thinking/learning. I don't meditate in the classical sense. I guess I am simply too awake in the morning. I rather read or think of my day ahead. Nothing too focused. I don't want to be too restrictive on myself at this time of day.
    4. Later I do a couple of exercises to get my body moving. It is a combination of gymnastics and the usual physical workout with push-ups and the like.
  3. NO BREAKFAST. I don't eat until lunch. If I'm at home in the morning I'll have my power drink (hot chocolate with raw milk, raw cocoa, rice sirup as sweetener, turmeric, and extra fatty whipped cream). If I'm working elsewhere I feast myself on a thermos jug of hot herbal tea. Although my mornings are challenging I do not faint. It took a few weeks to convince my brain that I wouldn't die of starvation if I don't feed me large amounts of sugar in the morning. First, I had to leave the room if I saw people eat. But today I am indifferent to this. My colleagues learnt that I am the nutritional weirdo - who never is tired.
  4. No gluten. Low carb. Mostly organic. I am living gluten-free for 8 years now. Low carb for 3 or 4. Ever since I met my wife my diet is mostly organic. 100% at home with rare exceptions when we eat out. I bake my own bread which is 90 minutes of work every two weeks. Please drop me a note if you are interested in the recipe.
  5. I allow my stomach and intestines to do their work. Tons of BS has been published and is propagated on nutrition! One of the biggest lies is to eat constantly ("5 a day" and stuff like that). Breakfast, second breakfast, lunch, coffee break, dinner, and the many temptations our food industry presents us during the day. Not to forget softdrinks. I radically refuse to follow these "traditions" (which in fact are pretty recent developments). I eat for the first time around noon. Mostly a salad or some self-baked bread with cheese and some greens. We eat dinner as early as possible. Usually between 6 and 7 pm. This is the only warm dish I get during the day. I usually end my day with a small desert of berries and cream. Very rarely I allow myself a pop. Usually Coke and only when I am feeling sick. My Grampa used to say: "A cow won't grow fat on water." ;)
  6. Intermittent fasting. I don't skip food for entire days, but allow my body to digest for 14-16 hours every day. My days sometimes are crazy and challenging. Despite that I have no problem following my routine.
  7. HIT. With a day job and setting up my business days are filled with work and not much else. I don't mind that workload at all. On the contrary. I enjoy working my butt off, i.e. on my business. However, I needed to find time to do my gym workout. I never was a disciple of running to the gym five days a week. I always found this pretty dull. My awakening came through HIT - high intensity training. It is a nightmare when you do it, but it is over soon (in my case 60 to 75 minutes) and you are allowed to rest for a week. At least I need to rest for a week after such a brutal workout. I've been doing this for 5+ years and it works miracles on my health.
Our worst enemy is our own brain. We observe our environment and want to copy what people are doing. Doing the opposite requires energy. Breaking traditions, conventions, and our own routines requires a lot of energy. What helped me a lot was:
  1. My wife. She's at least as crazy as I am. It helps big time if your partner in life resonates with your philosophy.
  2. To change "organically". First we fully turned organic. Then we got gluten-free and discovered intermittent fasting. Thirdly, we changed our gym routine to HIT. Low carb came next. Finally I withdrew from community work in the evening and was able to sleep earlier. This naturally changed my morning routine. All this took years to implement and came to us through reading and discussing. I am convinced this isn't the end of our transformation to a healthy life. The fact that we never had to do something helped a lot. All were voluntary decisions.
What are your routines to keep your energy levels up?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MarkHenry

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 13, 2019
Helpful stuff!

I got a lot of information through this posting. Now, I am going to bookmark this thread for further assistance.

It's really a good plan. I appreciate you for sharing this.

Thanks anyway!

G

Guest24480

Nice list, I do a lot of the stuff you mentioned.

Something to add would be stretching, both dynamic and static. Static stretches in the morning and before bed, dynamic stretches before a workout, and brief cool down stretches after a workout.

I had some pretty bad sleep problems and stretching fixed them big time. Just be careful not to overstretch and focus on eccentric contraction movements.

flower_girl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jul 9, 2019
Great stuff - thank you for this.

My number one is also plenty of sleep. 7 to 8 hours a night is about right for me.

Next is prayer, meditation and deep breathing for even 5 to 10 minutes before I really start the day. It helps me a lot with feeling centred, grounded and focussed.

Diet - drink plenty of water, lots of vegetables, some fruit, salmon and other fish, eggs from our hens, nuts and seeds, red meat maybe once or twice a week at the most. We're lucky in that we have a big garden and orchard so grow most of it ourselves.

Exercise.

Slowing time down. It's a technique I'd figured out for myself over the years but Steve Chandler has some good videos on Youtube about this for anyone interested.

Avoiding drama. Since I adopted the policy "when in doubt shut up" I've found my life a whole lot better and there's also that well known ditty "not my circus, not my monkeys".

For myself I never watch television, like never. Haven't for years. There are a few disadvantages but the advantages to not being a television watcher are much greater.

Read a chapter of a good book every day, preferably a hard copy but Kindle is okay too. Feeling like you've learned something every day is good for your mental health.

Stay off the computer and phone as much as possible, at least for the mindless stuff. Work and education/inspiration is fine - when you're using it positively and constructively - but stuff like Facebook, games, mindlessly reading emails and news and similar is something I keep to a minimum. The world seems a whole lot better when I do.

Look forward to reading everyone else's posts.

Aragorn

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jul 1, 2018
Europe
Helpful stuff!

I got a lot of information through this posting. Now, I am going to bookmark this thread for further assistance.

It's really a good plan. I appreciate you for sharing this.

Thanks anyway!

Please feel free to get in touch with me if you need some more input. I'm happy to help.

Aragorn

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jul 1, 2018
Europe
Nice list, I do a lot of the stuff you mentioned.

Something to add would be stretching, both dynamic and static. Static stretches in the morning and before bed, dynamic stretches before a workout, and brief cool down stretches after a workout.

I had some pretty bad sleep problems and stretching fixed them big time. Just be careful not to overstretch and focus on eccentric contraction movements.

Fortunately, I never really had sleep problems. What counts for me is to allow myself to be tired in the evening. I am a morning person and try to work through most of my ToDo-list before 3 pm. After 8 pm I can learn, but not work. And as soon as I feel tired I go to bed.

Not too much of a fancy existence, I am afraid. :)

Aragorn

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jul 1, 2018
Europe
Great stuff - thank you for this.

My number one is also plenty of sleep. 7 to 8 hours a night is about right for me.

Next is prayer, meditation and deep breathing for even 5 to 10 minutes before I really start the day. It helps me a lot with feeling centred, grounded and focussed.

Diet - drink plenty of water, lots of vegetables, some fruit, salmon and other fish, eggs from our hens, nuts and seeds, red meat maybe once or twice a week at the most. We're lucky in that we have a big garden and orchard so grow most of it ourselves.

Exercise.

Slowing time down. It's a technique I'd figured out for myself over the years but Steve Chandler has some good videos on Youtube about this for anyone interested.

Avoiding drama. Since I adopted the policy "when in doubt shut up" I've found my life a whole lot better and there's also that well known ditty "not my circus, not my monkeys".

For myself I never watch television, like never. Haven't for years. There are a few disadvantages but the advantages to not being a television watcher are much greater.

Read a chapter of a good book every day, preferably a hard copy but Kindle is okay too. Feeling like you've learned something every day is good for your mental health.

Stay off the computer and phone as much as possible, at least for the mindless stuff. Work and education/inspiration is fine - when you're using it positively and constructively - but stuff like Facebook, games, mindlessly reading emails and news and similar is something I keep to a minimum. The world seems a whole lot better when I do.

Look forward to reading everyone else's posts.

What we eat is pretty much:
  • Fish
  • Meat (mostly chicken, but red meat is not banned)
  • Tons of vegetables and salad (no potatos, just a bit of rice --> cf. low carb)
  • Eggs
  • Cheese
Although we restrict ourselves to this diet our dishes vary greatly.

And you are right: drinking water is essential. It helps to clean out your body.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.