The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I wanna start a website and I basically know nothing...

qwerety

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
May 26, 2008
Detroit, MI
I have a really good idea for a website (at least what I think is a really good idea).

I have good ideas on how to advertise my site, and make it known.

Thats about all I know.

I want to know about the basics of websites. (Domains, Hosts, Bandwidth, Servers etc.) What does it all mean and what do they do?

Now I'm asking you guys for those basics, now in the case of actually building the website (HTML etc.) and that type of stuff I want to know what book/books you would recommend me to get. Basically, I want a book for a novice thats kind of like this is a must have for learning how to build websites and build them well. Is something like a For Dummies book right for me because others may be too advanced or is the Dummies series not good enough.

I really like my idea and I really wanna do this, I don't wanna pay anyone to set up a site or anything for me, I wanna learn it on my own. If I do something I don't do it half assed so, I want it to be good.

Thanks in Advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Domains are the address that you type in to the address bar. For instance, Yahoo.com, Google.com, TheFastlanetoMillions.com, etc. Domains are akin to the land that a property would be built on in real estate.

Hosts store your website's information and keep it up and running. They host it on their servers. If you ever reach the point where you become a high-traffic site, you may elect to buy your own servers and host in-house. Servers are the location where the information is stored. They usually cost a few thousand dollars, which is why it usually makes sense to host on somebody else's servers from the start (like AptoHosting or HostGator).

Bandwidth is the amount of data that is transferred from your site (I'm not completely sure about this one, though).

When dealing with hosting, Disk Space is also important to know. Your site will take up space from the host, and you'll have to pay for what you use. The more information your site involves (specifically images, videos, and other types of files that take up a lot of space), the more disk space you'll need from your host.

I'm no expert in this area, but these are the basics that I understand. I'd recommend talking to AptoHosting (www.aptohosting or AptoHosting here on The Fastlane) for further information, and he can hook you up with hosting and web design if you need.

By the way, I'd recommend outsourcing the development from the start if you have little knowledge of the area now. If you really believe in your idea, the sooner you get started, the sooner you can innovate and continue to improve your site. You'll have plenty of other things to deal with, so starting off by delegating tasks should help you manage your time more efficiently.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
where do you buy cheap domain names?
Here is a list of offers that are available for GoDaddy domain purchases. 1and1 also offers domains for $6.99/year, but a few people have said that they delay their registering of the domains, so you may want to look into that further.

I think I remember seeing $1.99/year from someplace, but I don't remember where.

australianinvestor

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 4, 2007
Australia
I've heard GoDaddy has some issues about buying domains itself which customers have searched for but not immediately registered. I don't know if this is true, but I did a search once, saw a domain was available, and after going to get my credit card, it had been registered.

I now use domainsinseconds.com

phoenix_ent

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2%
May 27, 2008
I've heard GoDaddy has some issues about buying domains itself which customers have searched for but not immediately registered. I don't know if this is true, but I did a search once, saw a domain was available, and after going to get my credit card, it had been registered.

I now use domainsinseconds.com

how good is domainsinseconds?

I have also heard of the 1.99 names but i dont know where either.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
Here are some basic steps that I have learned from the Fastlane...
1. When buying a domain name don't start searching until you are ready to buy.
2. Read all the posts on the fastlane dealing with domain name discussions. They have a lot of valuable information.
3. Godaddy may not be the best, but they do offer things in a simple easy to understand format that worked well for me as a beginner. As I learned things along the way, I am now able to go to other sites for domains and be comfortable searching around for what I need to fit the circumstances. The same is true for hosting.
4. You won't be able to learn everything you need before you begin. Know there is a learning curve and you will be able to learn more information more quickly if you continuously keep moving forward... so just do it.

As far as html.
1. There are a lot of free html tutorial sites on line. Just search html on google (or any search engine you find reliable).
2. Practice on the tutorials.
3. You will need an html editing program (I am a mac user, so I use "Taco")
4. You will also need a program to upload your html files to your server.
Then it is just a matter of practice and trying new things.

Good Luck!

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
Aptohosting gives discounts to fastlane members. PM him for specific hosting questions. Then post the questions you asked and answers on the fastlane for others to also learn from. He can aslo answer questions on Bandwidth and Servers that may not already be posted elsewhere on this forum in another thread.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
how good is domainsinseconds?

I have also heard of the 1.99 names but i dont know where either.

go daddy has $1.99 domain names IF you buy something else like webhosting.

If you spend the $15.00 Dollars you get free webhosting with five pages and one email address.

I didn't have time to learn HTML and I have built a pretty darn good site with godaddy's templates. There are additional addons and upgrades but It's a great place to test your idea before adding things like SSL (security encryption) and shopping carts and privacy.

However I did have the same issue of someone grabbing a domain after I searched for it on go daddy.

i suggest using apto's domain search. Tom doesn't allow that kind of hany panky.

If you want to start fast then you can skip all the HTML crap and get templates for just about anyhting.

Do you think MJ built this forum from the ground up?

it's a vbullentin template with a really cool skin. I love the color scheme.

I'm unveiling my website for critique in the fastlane plan forum shortly! (warning: adult content!)

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
I have a really good idea for a website (at least what I think is a really good idea).

I have good ideas on how to advertise my site, and make it known.

Thats about all I know.

I want to know about the basics of websites. (Domains, Hosts, Bandwidth, Servers etc.) What does it all mean and what do they do?

Now I'm asking you guys for those basics, now in the case of actually building the website (HTML etc.) and that type of stuff I want to know what book/books you would recommend me to get. Basically, I want a book for a novice thats kind of like this is a must have for learning how to build websites and build them well. Is something like a For Dummies book right for me because others may be too advanced or is the Dummies series not good enough.

I really like my idea and I really wanna do this, I don't wanna pay anyone to set up a site or anything for me, I wanna learn it on my own. If I do something I don't do it half assed so, I want it to be good.

Thanks in Advance.
Domains= the address of your website ie www.yourwebsite.com

Host=the place where your website will be built. A company that has Big computers hooked up to the internet that store your website and allow it to be accessed

Bandwidth=the amount of information that passes back and forth between your website and all users. The more popular the website the more bandwidth you need.

Servers=the computer that stores the websites. some websites are so big that they have a DEDICATED server. That is they have one computer that does not share space with any other computer.

It will take you WAY to long to learn HTML. I know some basics from a book I read a few years ago calles "build your website in a weekend" but it will take you a lot longer than a weekend if you are starting from scratch.

Don't re invent the wheel.

Use templates

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I am always searching for domain names. If it's available I usually buy it. Why not? It's like $5 and who knows, someone may want to buy it from me (or I may decide to use it)down the line.

Lots of good info on this site, go back and read all the posts under ebiz.

qwerety

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
May 26, 2008
Detroit, MI
Thanks to all of you who replied.

Seems the consensus is to basically just use templates and not try and do the whole thing on my own.

It will be awhile before I start it just because I have a really tough couple of time consuming classes right now that I got 4 weeks left. During this time though I will write out my plans be more exact and learn some basics so hopefully after the classes are over I will be ready to start it up and have the time to build and advertise the site.

phoenix_ent

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2%
May 27, 2008
i suggest you buy your domain name as soon as you can. even if you are not ready to start the site. today i went to go get the name i thought of and it was gone. so i tried some more names i could think of and they was gone. now i see how people treat these like stocks cause one day somebody going to want to buy them.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
i suggest you buy your domain name as soon as you can. even if you are not ready to start the site. today i went to go get the name i thought of and it was gone. so i tried some more names i could think of and they was gone. now i see how people treat these like stocks cause one day somebody going to want to buy them.

Network Solutions got in trouble for taking domain names that people searched for and didn't immediately buy.

I swear Go Daddy does the same thing. So, I always search with whois.net and then go buy somewhere else. BTW, I have absolutely no proof that it occurs, but time and time again I would search a name on Go Daddy and then ask someone what they thought, go back and find it taken.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Network Solutions got in trouble for taking domain names that people searched for and didn't immediately buy.

I swear Go Daddy does the same thing. So, I always search with whois.net and then go buy somewhere else. BTW, I have absolutely no proof that it occurs, but time and time again I would search a name on Go Daddy and then ask someone what they thought, go back and find it taken.

Godaddy monitors the search queries. If a phrase gets enough hits, they snap it up and list it in there in house auctions. One would think those auctioned names are just people selling their mid-premium domains, but not so much. Instead of charging 10 bucks, they get 80 or 90. This is nothing new and other registrars aren't even as "nice" about it, if that makes any sense. lol

edit: I use Godaddy, so I'm not saying don't use them. They are my dominant registrar, and I like their service. You guys should try out the search button. There's Godaddy coupon threads all over the place!

qwerety

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
May 26, 2008
Detroit, MI
I went to see about buying a domain and got to wondering; whats a good price for registering a domain for 1 year?

I saw Godaddy gave hosting as a purchase option, if selected no would that mean you would have to do your own hosting?

I see a lot of you guys talk about buying up domains but the price I got looked kinda like a lot to spend if you went around just buying up domains.

Godaddy price was around 60 bucks just so you know.

longview

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jan 29, 2008
If you are just registering a domain with godaddy, it would be around $10.

This means you would host your site elsewhere and point the domain record in the Goddaddy management console to your server. (technically you would point it to another name server, but the result is that the traffic goes to your server, not the Goddaddy landing pages)

Looks like you got 'upsold' on some stuff... things like "privacy", mailboxes etc all add up.

Last edited:

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
I went to see about buying a domain and got to wondering; whats a good price for registering a domain for 1 year?

I saw Godaddy gave hosting as a purchase option, if selected no would that mean you would have to do your own hosting?

I see a lot of you guys talk about buying up domains but the price I got looked kinda like a lot to spend if you went around just buying up domains.

I bought my domain and hosting for $15. I don't know where you get sixty.

When you buy the domain you get Free Website tonight hosting with 5 pages and an email. You also get a Starter page and a for sale page.

Now the shopping cart and SSL, and SEO are all ad dons so is this what you mean?

I tested my idea with my email as an auto respnoider for some information. I counted each auto respond as hypothetical sale.

With some tweaking of my landing page I could turn this thing into a money machine.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida

People buy domains speculating that someone will buy them for a premium price. It's like picking stocks.

I own a few good .net names that someone may want to buy but havent speculated on any .com names.

qwerety

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
May 26, 2008
Detroit, MI
How does the whole vBulletin thing work, is it just a place to download software to add to a site you already have? Or does it give you your own site as well? Also, do you have to do your own hosting if it does give you a site?
Saw that was around 100 bucks.
I'm only asking because with my idea I think a forum is better

Weird how I went through most of the purchasing stuff and saw my subtotal was around 60 bucks and change. Glad I canceled it. You said you got yours for 15 was that at apto or somewhere else?

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
How does the whole vBulletin thing work, is it just a place to download software to add to a site you already have? Or does it give you your own site as well? Also, do you have to do your own hosting if it does give you a site?

Weird how I went through most of the purchasing stuff and saw my subtotal was around 60 bucks and change. Glad I canceled it. You said you got yours for 15 was that at apto or somewhere else?
when I bought my domain for $15 at godaddy I got free hosting and a website tonight account. I don't know if they are still offering that.

fOR 9.99 YOU GET THIS https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/domain_offer.asp?isc=goox2001au&ci=545&app%5Fhdr=

phoenix_ent

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2%
May 27, 2008

I would like to know also as i want to start a forum. i got my domain name from godaddy but imma host with hostgator. is it easy to set that up?

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
Some hosts will install vbulletin for you. vbulletin will also install for you professionally for a fee. I'd click into that a little more if you're planning on paying $100. vbulletin will most likely cost you more than a hundred bucks unless you want the most basic system...when you add some common features it quickly gets up to several hundred dollars. IMO, still very fair if the software is as good as I've heard it is. vbulletin seems to be the one to go with. I'm considering it and will probably go with vbulletin for my next site. Is this an appropriate thread to discuss the comparisons of this and other forum platforms?

If so, I found this article helpful...

It discusses specifically integrating a forum into an existing wordpress installation. but it does outline and link to a lot of good information regarding many of the most popular forum apps.

RTC

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
May 16, 2011
Houston, TX
This is easy. Get your domain name at namecheap.com - get a basic hosting account at bluehost.com join odesk.com and post your job for what you want built. People will bid on the job then you pay them to do it. Then hire a virtual assistant or someone overseas to help manage your website for you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.