The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I Thought hell was for COOL people...

NanoDrake

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Feb 25, 2018
Malta
Hi Everyone!
My name is Andre and I live in Malta ( a tiny island in the middle of the mediterranean, the most bombed place during WWII)
After reading the book and reading some inspiring stories, I decided to add mine here, so maybe someone could learn something from my mistakes perhaps?

It all started couple of years ago, when I definitely had more hair |:)

I was a sales manager in a very big organization, earning a very good amount of money but most important of all, I was a stupid arrogant prick.
I thought that just because I was leading sales every month I was the impersonification of a God, A Rock star, a Divinity with infinite sales powers: I was the market and decided what was good and what wasn't. But I was W R O N G, oh if I was...
My biggest regret of that period is that I started from the bottom like every dog that was working with me. I guess it was just luck that set me apart, one day, the classic 12 hours grinding of cold calling and emailing, I managed to score finally a great account and from there I "surfed the wave" that deal led to another and another and another.

You might think that I earned that, after all, I spent the previous 3 years really working EVERY single day of my life, taking shitty flights, sleeping in shitty hotels, eating shit (at meetings and at dinner) and having shitty thoughts on why I couldn't score big deals.
But the first lesson that I've should have learned (and I do have to thank the book for reminding me that) is that the process is what matters: beach bodies are made in winter by daily training and diet.

Since I thought I was the smartest around, I decided I had to take control of my life and take a shot at entrepreneurship, after all, I was the smartest no? what could possibly go wrong? I know sales, I know marketing, I will just find something to sell and all will take care of itself... wrong, again.
I launched my first product and after the initial success the market experienced a sudden crash, in just one night no one needed this new "hot" category that I launched myself into...
I grinded my brain into dust on how to re market and re position the product, cold calling and getting rejected like the old/bad first days... The only problem was that at the beginning it hurted because I wanted to have some success...then started to hurt because I was successful and couldn't understand why people weren't buying...
I developed tremendously negative habits, such as eating junk food, not working out and smoking 2 boxes of cigarettes every day... My mood was dark every day, I felt like the world was finishing and my self esteem went in the trash.
After a year, I gained almost 20 kilograms of fat and can barely run 5' minutes... I totally transformed myself from the brilliant smart athletic guy to a fat sociopath leaving home just to buy more coke zero.
I thought that my problem was I wasn't following the advice from the GURUS, I wasn't all in!!!
So I took all my savings and "rainy day funds" and took a new offices, hired two more people and started more products...
I got scammed by a bad partnership with my manufacturer that left me short of a boatload of money...suddenly the thoughts of "how will i pay for rent" started to manifest in my mind.
That's when I started to look in the mirror for days asking myself "how I got here?" I felt like I was in hell, but the idiot I was always thought hell was a cool place for cool people, were badasses were drinking tequila and scoring hot chicks.
I realized that was the trap on how hell gets the door always swinging, and I wanted out.

I created a plan to stop the bleeding: move back in the garage of my parents, take cold showers to wake up in the morning, eat only healthy foods and started intermitting fasting...

Then I decided I had to clean my mind: I decided to cut every person that wasn't making me grow, I removed all music from the phone and downloaded only quality podcasts, started to read 1 hours every day ( yes, 1 hour every day...no more netflix and coke zero for hours at night)

Then I decided to tackle business: I fired everyone (people that I created a good relationship in the meanwhile) and liquidate at a big loss the whole stock, take a job in sales in another company and start from the bottom, once again...

After a year of this new "emergency plan" I stopped smoking, lost 25 kilos of fat and have my own place, finances aren't amazing but they make me sleep at night. I even took a holiday in central America and had a blast! most important I have now a set of healthy habits (eating clean, reading, sleeping enough, work out, journaling, meditating) that allows me to grow.

I have to confess that while writing this I went back in time with my mind and had to live again for a second what happened, the bad taste in my mouth it generated is compensated immediately with the value of the lessons I learned along the way, be humble, be crystal clear on what you want, have a solid plan and an exit strategy, do your homework properly, aim high! but also more specific skills such as marketing, facebook advertising and what is really selling.

Well..this took a while, whops! :D

Just wanted to say I'm happy to be here with like minded people ^_^

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...