The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I think im stuck in the illusion of progress

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

ryjohn829

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Feb 20, 2020
Suburbs of Boston, Massachusetts
I'm 17 and want to become an entrepreneur. I want to design an app that can turn paper into an editable document (not a pdf) There are apps that can do this but i want to create a system that can be used for school. I want the files to be held in the cloud and view able on that app. I keep designing the app over and over. I'm not building the real thing. I realize that i'm stuck in the illusion of preogres. My school just got shut down for a week because of the corona virus and i have all this free time now and i don't wanna waste it chasing my tail and running in circles. I've read both of MJ's books. I read unscripted twice because i loved it. I'm going to buckle down this week and get this going. i understand that it will take a lot of time and failure but i will do whatever it takes. I'm stressed out right now. It would be very helpful if someone could share their experience about the illusion of progress. Thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Hey @ryjohn829
I`d recommend you do an Intro thread first, tell us a bit about yourself, check some of the GOLD and NOTABLE threads.
At 17, you still have plenty of time.

I want to design an app that can turn paper into an editable document
This is no easy task and it involves advanced knowledge not only in programming, but in photography and typography.
You are trying to climb a mountain before you can climb a tree.

If you want to learn more, read a little bit about what a OCR system is and check: Tesseract.js | Pure Javascript OCR for 100 Languages!
I`ve prepared a small example here: Gofile
Extract the archive and open index.html
It works with no server support.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
I want to design an app that can turn paper into an editable document (not a pdf) There are apps that can do this but i want to create a system that can be used for school. I want the files to be held in the cloud and view able on that app.

I don't understand. You don't mean literal paper it seems...but then isn't that just Microsoft Word?

What am I missing...

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
I want to create software that can scan paper using a phone or laptop camera and turn it into a document. The cloud based system is similar to MS Word. Like an educational tool. I want to be able to scan a physical piece of paper into a document you can edit (not a pdf)

Ah I see now. So like a better OCR?

ryjohn829

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Feb 20, 2020
Hey @ryjohn829
I`d recommend you do an Intro thread first, tell us a bit about yourself, check some of the GOLD and NOTABLE threads.
At 17, you still have plenty of time.

This is no easy task and it involves advanced knowledge not only in programming, but in photography and typography.
You are trying to climb a mountain before you can climb a tree.

If you want to learn more, read a little bit about what a OCR system is and check: Tesseract.js | Pure Javascript OCR for 100 Languages!
I`ve prepared a small example here: Gofile
Extract the archive and open index.html
It works with no server support.

I think you’re right. It’s the only idea I had. I don’t know where to start

ryjohn829

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Feb 20, 2020
Did you check the example?
I just clicked on it. I need to learn some programming if i were to do this. Do you think I should consider shifting my focus to something else. I want to do something online so I think the programming course would be useful. I feel lost so all I’m doing is reading books. Sorry that my ideas are all over the place

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
I just clicked on it. I need to learn some programming if i were to do this. Do you think I should consider shifting my focus to something else. I want to do something online so I think the programming course would be useful. I feel lost so all I’m doing is reading books. Sorry that my ideas are all over the place
A programming course can give you some valuable knowledge and insight.
How do you know if you like programming? What if you hate it?
What if it turns out that you dont want to make an app?
The only way to find out is to get your hands dirty, BUT dont start with OCR.
Thats waaaay more difficult than you think it is and you can get back to it in the future.

ryjohn829

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Feb 20, 2020
A programming course can give you some valuable knowledge and insight.
How do you know if you like programming? What if you hate it?
What if it turns out that you dont want to make an app?
The only way to find out is to get your hands dirty, BUT dont start with OCR.
Thats waaaay more difficult than you think it is and you can get back to it in the future.
yeah i might try to make a tangible product out of material. I have access to a machine shop and 3d printers and 3d modeling software (fusion 2020 & mastercam 2020) i have the freedom to make anything because i spend every other week in school learning machine technology. I need to brainstorm and think. i have a whole 3 weeks out of school and i go back on my shop week. ill get back to the forum if i have any more questions, thoughts, or ideas. THANK YOU everyone for guiding me and helping me get started on my fastlane journey.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.