The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I think Detroit is Dead

bigmako

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jan 25, 2008
California
I believe Toyota is a pretty good make!
I have 2 vehicles now made by Toyota and have never really had any major problems with either of them.

One in particular is an ugly "box" type van (I am sure you car buffs know which van this is) has over 120 thousand miles and the only repairs it's had has been only minor things.
I guess if you take care of it, it will take care of you.
We only use it for short trips around the city.

I recently went to an auto show and saw and heard nothing but good things about Honda.
I think our next vehicle will be a Honda.

Anybody else have some input?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tbsells

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 27, 2007
Ohio
In spite of starting this thread entitled "I think Detroit is Dead" my next vehicle will probably be a used GMC Yukon Denali. I like them and it will suit my business and family needs. Fully loaded 04's and 05's can be bought in the mid to upper 20k range which is about what I want to spend. I was just shocked to see a new base Yukon at $50k and I think a fully loaded Denali is $60k+. I'll let someone else take the depreciation and still drive a nice vehicle. Where I think the problem lies is with selling the new ones at the prices they want. I can afford a new one, but choose not to because the value is not there and if I pay $60k for something I expect it to produce income.

reipro

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Sep 27, 2007
Lincoln, NE
The car market maybe tough there, but the rental and real estate is SMOKING HOTTTTTTT! We are buying there everyday:banana::hurray::eusa_clap:

tbsells

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 27, 2007
Ohio
The car market maybe tough there, but the rental and real estate is SMOKING HOTTTTTTT! We are buying there everyday:banana::hurray::eusa_clap:

That's the important thing. I shouldn't have started this thread. :nonod: Where are you buying everyday?

Eric

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Dec 9, 2007
In spite of starting this thread entitled "I think Detroit is Dead" my next vehicle will probably be a used GMC Yukon Denali. I like them and it will suit my business and family needs. Fully loaded 04's and 05's can be bought in the mid to upper 20k range which is about what I want to spend. I was just shocked to see a new base Yukon at $50k and I think a fully loaded Denali is $60k+. I'll let someone else take the depreciation and still drive a nice vehicle. Where I think the problem lies is with selling the new ones at the prices they want. I can afford a new one, but choose not to because the value is not there and if I pay $60k for something I expect it to produce income.

That is the upside of buying one of the big 3.... you can get a used one for dirt cheap, because the resale is so horrible.

Eric

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Dec 9, 2007
I believe Toyota is a pretty good make!
I have 2 vehicles now made by Toyota and have never really had any major problems with either of them.

One in particular is an ugly "box" type van (I am sure you car buffs know which van this is) has over 120 thousand miles and the only repairs it's had has been only minor things.
I guess if you take care of it, it will take care of you.
We only use it for short trips around the city.

I recently went to an auto show and saw and heard nothing but good things about Honda.
I think our next vehicle will be a Honda.

Anybody else have some input?

My mom got out of a dodge status that was 2 years old and falling apart and bought a used 2000 accord from a friend of mine. This was back in 2002. The transmission started to slip and it had to be rebuilt. The trans guy told her that in 99 honda put bands with crappy lining in their transmissions and as a result, they needed to be rebuilt after about 60-70k miles.
Honda did offer a extended warranty on 2000-2002 models (i think those were the years) to help with the problem.

Other than that, I have not heard of any issues with honda. I have seen them go 400k with regular service.

reipro

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Sep 27, 2007
Lincoln, NE
We are buying as much RE in Detroit as possible! The more the better!

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
I had a 95' Accord. Sold it last week to start a biz, otherwise I would have kept it. Awesome car. Never gave me any problem other than regular maintenance and it had 150k miles on it.

camski

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 24, 2007
Noblesville, IN
We are buying as much RE in Detroit as possible! The more the better!

Living somewhat close to detroit (3 1/2 hours) I have heard that RE is dirt cheap there. In my area I see commercials with Jeff Daniels touting new legislation?? or something to bring new business to Michigan. I believe they are trying to bring in more tech business. If they (MI) are successful or if the automotive industry ever makes a comeback you will be in a wonderful position. Kudos to you and speed++

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
We've ownen Japanese cars for awhile. Our last American car was an old Town & Country minivan, which had A LOT of trouble. Now we own two Acuras and a Honda: a '99 Acura TL, an '07 Acura MDX, and an '06 Accord Coupe EX-L. When I get my license in March, I'm probably gonna be getting the Accord until my brother gets back, and then we'll switch so that I have the TL, and he'll get the Accord.

My dad will need a new car then, unless my brother gets a job in NYC when he graduates at the end of April. For the first time in awhile, my dad is looking at an American car...the CTS. We're probably gonna go test drive it this week. As of now, it's probably between that, the Infiniti G35, and the Lexus ES, but something else can certainly enter the equation. He's also been considering the Lincoln MKZ because of the deals they're offering on it.

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
Plus the fact that instead of investing in hybrid technology years ago like toyota did, they invested in V8's and SUV's and now are trying to play catch up. I don't know if this is true or not, but I heard ford just bought toyota's 2nd generation hybrid technology. Toyota is on their 5th generation.

Well SUVs and V8s are what sell well. Also, it's a lot more difficult to make a hybrid SUV or pickup than a car. The Prius has to be built very funny-looking for aerodynamic reasons, etc...building a hybrid that can pull a trailer or a heavy load is a lot tougher I'd imagine. You need a regular IC engine for that.

Hybrids I do not think are going to be the solution for better fuel-economy. Hybrid vehicles themselves do not sell very well either I believe, I have heard car dealers say they order in hybrids and put them on the lot but they don't sell.

I think diesels are a better alternative.

Dodge just announced that they are going to stop making the hemi, and start producing more fuel efficient V6's. So much for the SRT line ups.

Trucks go from V6s to V8's and then before I can buy one, back to V6's again!! This stinks :(

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I am interested in the dealer invoice idea. How can I check what the particular dealer's invoice price is? Do I just shop around asking each one? Do they let cars go that low or do is there a formula such as Dealer invoice + % that I can use to negotiate the price? Thanks

mozola

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 17, 2007
ohio
http://www.edmunds.com/
should give you a pretty good idea of the invoice

I am interested in the dealer invoice idea. How can I check what the particular dealer's invoice price is? Do I just shop around asking each one? Do they let cars go that low or do is there a formula such as Dealer invoice + % that I can use to negotiate the price? Thanks

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Good site, thanks. Ill dig around. Rep++

Eric

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Dec 9, 2007

As noted, edmonds.com is a good site for checking invoices. Also, if you are a member of costco, you can call their auto buying 800 number and get a dealer who is in the program. you deal directly with the fleet manager, they show you the actual invoice, and tell you what their price is. The price could be at the actual invoice, or the highest i've seen is $1500 over. Plus, if they have any rebates, you can still get those too.

My brother bought a Nissan titan through the costco program. Nissan's deal is, you get the vehicle at invoice. sticker on the truck was $31,5xx and the invoice was 27,8xx. plus they were offering a $2000 rebate. So he paid $25,8xx + tax.

It is by far the easiest, stress free way to buy a vehicle. Its the only way I will buy a car from now on.

Eric

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Dec 9, 2007
Well SUVs and V8s are what sell well. Also, it's a lot more difficult to make a hybrid SUV or pickup than a car. The Prius has to be built very funny-looking for aerodynamic reasons, etc...building a hybrid that can pull a trailer or a heavy load is a lot tougher I'd imagine. You need a regular IC engine for that.

Hybrids I do not think are going to be the solution for better fuel-economy. Hybrid vehicles themselves do not sell very well either I believe, I have heard car dealers say they order in hybrids and put them on the lot but they don't sell.

I think diesels are a better alternative.

Trucks go from V8s to V6's and then before I can buy one, back to V6's again!! This stinks :(

Actually, Robert Shvern is building hybrid SUV's out of his facility in new mexico. If you want something to tow with, he has a 600hp hummer that goes 0-60 in 5 seconds and gets 60mpg! Why cant american automakers do this?

Here is a link.

http://shvern.blogspot.com/2007/10/hybrid-h3-hummer-with-600hp-goes-0-60.html

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
As noted, edmonds.com is a good site for checking invoices. Also, if you are a member of costco, you can call their auto buying 800 number and get a dealer who is in the program. you deal directly with the fleet manager, they show you the actual invoice, and tell you what their price is. The price could be at the actual invoice, or the highest i've seen is $1500 over. Plus, if they have any rebates, you can still get those too.

My brother bought a Nissan titan through the costco program. Nissan's deal is, you get the vehicle at invoice. sticker on the truck was $31,5xx and the invoice was 27,8xx. plus they were offering a $2000 rebate. So he paid $25,8xx + tax.

It is by far the easiest, stress free way to buy a vehicle. Its the only way I will buy a car from now on.

To point out how valuable this post is - I was just in a Titan yesterday. My friend paid 35,000 for it.

Great post. Now I am wondering if I can swing this without being a member?

Eric

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Dec 9, 2007
To point out how valuable this post is - I was just in a Titan yesterday. My friend paid 35,000 for it.

Great post. Now I am wondering if I can swing this without being a member?

There are other places that have programs like this. I know my credit union does, and I am sure many others do as well. If you can not find anyone who has a auto buying program, It would probably be a good idea just to pay the $50 a year membership fee, to save a lot of money.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.