The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I need to fail...

Anything related to matters of the mind

Alchemy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Oct 20, 2012
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum. (Been stalking for about 6 months since I read TMF ). This is the first time I felt I could really add anything to help everyone else so I decided to post. :cool:.

A little background on myself. I ran my own financial services business for 6 years. Unknown to me at that time it was just like a job (most of the time, it was worse!). Anytime that market had a hiccup I had to burp all my clients. In truth, this business violated the commandment of time. I never developed it to the point of passivity. Long story short, some health issues struck my family and I had to be absent for an extended amount of time and surprise, surprise the business failed.

Good news is everyone is healthy and healing now, thank God, and I have spent the past 6 months doing some serious searching and digging to come up with a new business to start. I tend to be a creative person so the ideas just keep coming and coming and coming. However, I found myself never pulling the trigger on any of them. I kept looking, researching, digging, trying to find that one plan that would definitely, positively work. It was like having business OCD.

My point is, I realized that deep down, someplace subconscious, I'm afraid to fail again. I think a lot of us tend to continue to come up with more and more ideas and more and more research as a way of self sabotaging because deep down we know if we never pull the trigger, we will never have to fail again. And this allows us to use the copout of "if I could only find the right, perfect, idea" I would make it. What we are really saying is, "When I find the perfect thing that comes along with a guarantee of success, I will finally decide to take action on it". You and I both know that idea doesn't exist. No one knows with absolute certainty if their idea will make it or not, all we can do is work our hardest at putting the odds in our favor. The problem isn't that I haven't found the perfect idea yet, it's that I'm not failing fast enough! I want to fail. I need to fail faster. It's the only guaranteed way of eventually finding success.

Anyways, thanks for reading and nice to meet you all....

-R

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
No one knows with absolute certainty if their idea will make it or not, all we can do is work our hardest at putting the odds in our favor. The problem isn't that I haven't found the perfect idea yet, it's that I'm not failing fast enough! I want to fail. I need to fail faster. It's the only guaranteed way of eventually finding success.

Well said. Welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid to fail again

What can turn you into opposite of this is realizing how fast time slips by.
It will disappear quickly.

I'm afraid to not act, to miss out. I can't stop beating myself for anytime I don't do things.
So I try to act much more.

In sales there's a cold calling training technique where future salesmen are encouraged to make X cold calls, and try NOT to make any sales. Not as easy as it sounds.

Best of luck on your path to fastlane.

Greg B

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Sep 13, 2012
Upstate NY
I kept looking, researching, digging, trying to find that one plan that would definitely, positively work. It was like having business OCD.

Wow - can I relate to that statement. Glad to hear things worked out health wise and welcome to the forum.

MikeRuss

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jun 13, 2012
Oregon
My point is, I realized that deep down, someplace subconscious, I'm afraid to fail again. I think a lot of us tend to continue to come up with more and more ideas and more and more research as a way of self sabotaging because deep down we know if we never pull the trigger, we will never have to fail again.

Well said... it sure isn't easy to take the first step.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I get the sentiment but be careful with how you talk to yourself regarding failure.

Yes, we learn through failure and it teaches us and it shows us our mistakes. It proves that we are out there doing, trying, playing the game. What you DON'T want to do is subconsciously sabotage yourself. You don't want to keep chasing bad because "failure is awesome" or "I want to fail".

Failure is a sharp knife, there to cut you when you slip up. To pain you and bleed you into not making that mistake again. Knowing you might get cut and entering the kitchen anyway is one thing. It's quite another to step into the kitchen with the goal of getting cut.

So get in the kitchen, don't be afraid of the knife, and try not to cut yourself.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
You know what I've found most interesting?

Successful business people don't brag about their successes. They brag about their failures.

I've seen Jack post multiple times about how he's lost millions of dollars and lost out on hundreds of millions. But I very rarely hear about his successes. He doesn't talk about how much money he has, probably because it doesn't matter all that much past a certain point.

Granted, nobody wants to fail, but failures make epic stories. Like that Japanese guy who is famous for losing the most money of all time.

Successes are boring stories. Failures are interesting.

Make some stories.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.