The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I Need Advice: Has Anyone Here Own a Salon or Barbershop?

ay47

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 29, 2018
Is this a norm for all barbershops? Barbers pay rent to the shop?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Take a day off. Get in your car. Park across the street. Count how many people come in.

Then another day go get a haircut. Talk to the barbers.

Do your due diligence. You can't do it online.

Great advice. Doing things the old fashioned way. Work. Google can't do everything.

Lucky Chevy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jan 2, 2018
Northern Virginia
My current barber owns his shop and also works in it. It's not fastlane but he makes ~$150,000 per year

I'm not going to say it's impossible but it's unlikely. The main hurdle is just getting a steady stream of clients. A competent barber can do a cut in less than 10 minutes. (Some can go much faster but you don't want the client to feel rushed). There is a lot of down time.

My shop is located outside a military base. The barbers are averaging 10-cuts per day during the week and twice that many on the weekend. My barbers earn between $25k-$35k.

The money to be made in cutting hair is not made by the barbers but by the shop, that's how the large chain stores thrive. Chain stores keep 60%. I've been keeping less but have less turnover.

I'm charging retirees $14/cut; military cuts are $16; everyone else is $18. This keeps my prices competitive but higher than the military barbershop. It also works well for tips.

Cutting, styling, and coloring a woman's hair is a much higher profit but lower volume business.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Great advice. Doing things the old fashioned way. Work. Google can't do everything.
I agree. Sit outside and head count your customers. From a real estate point of view, there are 2 really important issues -- location, which includes adequate parking and the plumbing/electrical systems in the building. Those are two issues that are hard or expensive to duplicate.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

deepestblue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 11, 2011
Arizona
Agreed with the poster who stated to ask for the statements. Ask for the accountant-audited balance sheet/income statement for the last X years.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.