The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I know nothing about investing, need assistance for $50k

Anything related to investing, including crypto

YMCMB

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 25, 2012
I have about $50k sitting in an ING savings account. (Capital One 360 now) with about a 0.75% APY. I know this is probably a dumb place to leave it as it's not really making much money. I really don't know anything about investing, mutual funds, IRAs, and all that. I want to do something with it that will allow it to grow as fast as possible. I am willing to take a decent to high risk with most or all of it. Anyone have any specific ideas, or direction I should go with it? I appreciate anyone's insight.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Shuffle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 8, 2011
Manhasset, NY
I have about $50k sitting in an ING savings account. (Capital One 360 now) with about a 0.75% APY. I know this is probably a dumb place to leave it as it's not really making much money. I really don't know anything about investing, mutual funds, IRAs, and all that. I want to do something with it that will allow it to grow as fast as possible. I am willing to take a decent to high risk with most or all of it. Anyone have any specific ideas, or direction I should go with it? I appreciate anyone's insight.

Wouldn't you want to look to creating a need for the masses for a potential business? Besides, investing will lose you that money if you don't treat it as a business as well. What's your reason for wanting to invest as opposed to what the forum suggests?

YMCMB

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 25, 2012
Wouldn't you want to look to creating a need for the masses for a potential business? Besides, investing will lose you that money if you don't treat it as a business as well. What's your reason for wanting to invest as opposed to what the forum suggests?

I have money for that too. I am getting into Amazon FBA, branding my own products etc. I just have this other $50k sitting in savings, I'd rather invest it instead of it just sitting around.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling

Shuffle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 8, 2011
Manhasset, NY
You could go into stocks or forex if you take interest in it. It's just gonna be a lot of learning :)

Arandhawa23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Sep 28, 2013
Cleveland
Look into a 5-6% TD Ameritrade, but that won't make much return. Best way is to invest it in your business or have it as standby if ever needed.

YMCMB

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 25, 2012
Put it all into bitcoin. That shit is going to the moon.

lol
No thanks, I don't trust that shit. Especially after it just tanked. I guess I will just hold onto it into my savings account.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Take 5k and put it into bitcoin. I guarantee you will make your entire years APY in less than a month. Read Altys thread, buy on the weekend and wait for it to go up.

Stu_Hefner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Mar 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
If this is extra cash sitting aside not involved with your business then it actually might be a good idea to keep it sitting aside.

That way, if you ever come across another business opportunity you can always access it quickly when you need to.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Cash is king, keep it in cash. When that great property deal comes along you got the cash. If you Amazon sideline takes off and you need to go big then you got the 50k in the bank.

Risking it for 5% annual gain (if your lucky) is terrible. You could lose 10% next week and it wont recover for years.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
If you don't know anything about investing then its best to never invest in the stock market. Mutual funds almost never out perform the market. And IRAs and 401ks are a big mistake.

Sometimes its best to just have cold hard cash in the bank, even at .75 percent yield. Plus 50k at 5% is nothing.

Investing money into a privately held fastlane business with all the commandments will always be your best bang for your buck. Keep cash in the bank as a call option to fuel fastlane growth. Cash is king. Its the blood of a business and its needed to scale. :greedy:

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Blackberry has fallen in value from $150 in '08 to around $6 earlier this week.

They got a new interim CEO John Chen who seems to be good at turning bad companies around.

I'd buy some long options in Blackberry and wait 2-3 years. It will be profitable again. Imagine if goes from $6 to $90 or $130 in that time!!!! You will be in the money.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
blackberry is heading the way of Nokia

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Thats what they said about Apple.

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs
Take 5k and put it into bitcoin. I guarantee you will make your entire years APY in less than a month. Read Altys thread, buy on the weekend and wait for it to go up.

or into litecoins.

Oitio

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Sep 20, 2013
Finland
Your mind is not there.

Your mind wont be able to take it if your stock goes a couple of grand below green zone, let alone 10k? If you think you can take it throw it into bitcoin.

My advice, read the INSIDERS investing thread from AMA's.

+ if I were you I would learn investing, unless you seriously want to throw shit on the wall and hope it sticks. If it wont you are the one cleaning it up.

+ One last add, I really dont know how can you trust a internet forum for 50000 Dollars? Yes this forum is really valuable place and there are ALOT of good people and trust in here. But its still the internet, almost anybody can join this place. You really want to take that chance?

Last edited:

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
Bitcoin and cryptos have now become a bear market, very unstable and downtrending until we get worldwide clarification and support by governments especially from china.

Just be careful.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.