The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I have two options, which one would you choose?

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 16, 2022
It's the 1st of January 2024.

I'm 29, haven't had a job for a year, lost 90% of my blogging income for violating CENTS, live at my parents', have no clue where I'd like to go live as I've already lived everywhere, have no work experience, no prospects for finding a job, no girlfriend, and my friends hardly want to hang out which I can't blame them for.

I just have this forum to tell this to, which I'm really grateful for.

This year will be decisive. Wish me luck.

Hello,

I've made a plan to (re)kickstart my journey and I have two options. A risky one without a safety net, and an annoying one with safety net.

I know, the forum can't make decisions for me, I'm just looking for additional thoughts.

1. The risky option

The risky one comes down to starting a small tourism business in Belgium that will make me money right away (tours, basically) while building a small e-com shop that a friend of mine kindly offered to mentor me through.

Risk: in the worst case scenario that all fails and I make no money over the next five years, I am very unlikely to ever find a job ever again.
Advantages: I remain in Belgium where my friends, family, and home are, I speak the language, I can continue my education, etc.
Disadvantages: high taxes, expensive, regulations, insecurity, small market, wokeness, hard to date people, etc

2. The non-risky option

The non-risky one consists of taking a corporate job in a foreign country while building the same e-com shop and grow it until I can quit my job.

It's less risky as at least, I get some job experience.

Disadvantages: I'd have to move again and make new friends again + won't speak the language + will be a foreigner which is annoying as it restricts social possibilities + will likely not want to stay there for more than 10 years.

Advantages: it's cheaper + dating is easier + environment is nicer too (90% chance I'd go to Poznan or Gdansk (Poland))

What would you do? Thanks.

PS: What about finding a job in Belgium? In the unlikely case someone would hire me, that'd take me at least six months, so might as well make money right away with tours.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Hello,

I've made a plan to (re)kickstart my journey and I have two options. A risky one without a safety net, and an annoying one with safety net.

I know, the forum can't make decisions for me, I'm just looking for additional thoughts.

1. The risky option

The risky one comes down to starting a small tourism business in Belgium that will make me money right away (tours, basically) while building a small e-com shop that a friend of mine kindly offered to mentor me through.

Risk: in the worst case scenario that all fails and I make no money over the next five years, I am very unlikely to ever find a job ever again.
Advantages: I remain in Belgium where my friends, family, and home are, I speak the language, I can continue my education, etc.
Disadvantages: high taxes, expensive, regulations, insecurity, small market, wokeness, hard to date people, etc

2. The non-risky option

The non-risky one consists of taking a corporate job in a foreign country while building the same e-com shop and grow it until I can quit my job.

Disadvantages: I'd have to move again and make new friends again + won't speak the language + will be a foreigner which is annoying as it restricts social possibilities + will likely not want to stay there for more than 10 years.

Advantages: it's cheaper + dating is easier + environment is nicer too (90% chance I'd go to Poznan or Gdansk (Poland))

PS: What about finding a job in Belgium? In the unlikely case someone would hire me, that'd take me at least six months, so might as well make money right away with tours.

You want to:
  • continue your education - to what end?
  • start an ecommerce store - what will makes yours different?
  • start a tourism business doing tours - how will you compete with others?
  • get a corporate job in a foreign country - why?
It sounds like you're trying to go in several different directions at once.

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 16, 2022
You want to:
  • continue your education - to what end?
  • start an ecommerce store - what will makes yours different?
  • start a tourism business doing tours - how will you compete with others?
  • get a corporate job in a foreign country - why?
It sounds like you're trying to go in several different directions at once.
- Good question
- Product and focus
- Language. The ones already existing arent in English.
- If all fails, at least I have that.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
- Good question
- Product and focus
- Language. The ones already existing arent in English.
- If all fails, at least I have that.
- Education should be for a purpose. If you have no purpose and the government gives you a free education, then that's not a bad use, if you get study worthwhile.
- Product and focus. Do you know what this is? Don't share if you don't want to, but is this specific, such as "kitchen knives with a more comfortable handle", or is your plan literally "product and focus", which doesn't mean anything?
- Are there really no English tours in Belgium? I find that hard to believe, but if it's true that sounds promising.
- Have you got the things a corporate job wants? You can't just walk into them.

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 16, 2022
- Education should be for a purpose. If you have no purpose and the government gives you a free education, then that's not a bad use, if you get study worthwhile.
- Product and focus. Do you know what this is? Don't share if you don't want to, but is this specific, such as "kitchen knives with a more comfortable handle", or is your plan literally "product and focus", which doesn't mean anything?
- Are there really no English tours in Belgium? I find that hard to believe, but if it's true that sounds promising.
- Have you got the things a corporate job wants? You can't just walk into them.
- True.
- Yes, I know what those are, I've already done the research and I believe it can work.
- Not in the city I am moving into.
- Yes.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
You're smart enough not to need a job. But you know that already.

Just make your own money dude. Write copy for people. If you need a client, I'll hire you. DM me, I always need more writers.

Rogerhabit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jan 10, 2024
God it is a tough one isn't it, Part of me thinks if you are to be successful in a corporate job, maybe you could eventually use that more to start a business and return to belguim in any case. The other thing is how much money would you have to factor into starting your own business to begin with anyway. Either way it is very exciting that you have too big options going froward into the new year.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Where do you want to be in 5 or 10 years? Which option gets you there, if any?

Don't be taking action for the sake of action and paying bills. Work toward the life you want, not toward the bills you want paid.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hello,

1. The risky option

2. The non-risky option

I didnt get the part on you cannot find a job in your own country but expect to easily find one in a foreign country. Just doesn’t quite fit to be honest.

The tourism business will make money right away, but worst case you make no money over next five years? Sounds contradictory.

I know a lot people will say move to another place if you hate your place. But unless you live in a third world place, the chance is always far better playing the game home than away.

It is also not true that a former entrepreneur is not employable. A lot of sme and start up need that kind of experience of a single person hustling on multiple roles.

I think you are placing too much weight into the social-political aspect of the environment at this stage. You can figure out that later once you have more financial success. Right not it’s strictly business. Where and how you can put food on table while still have time striving for asymmetrical return in business opportunities.

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 16, 2022
Where do you want to be in 5 or 10 years? Which option gets you there, if any?

Don't be taking action for the sake of action and paying bills. Work toward the life you want, not toward the bills you want paid.
I'd like to be married with 1-2 kids and have a business that provides enough money for my family and myself.
You can figure out that later once you have more financial success.
That's what I am afraid of.

In a way, this post is about maximizing chances to get both a great relationship and a great business.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I'd like to be married with 1-2 kids and have a business that provides enough money for my family and myself.

That's what I am afraid of.

In a way, this post is about maximizing chances to get both a great relationship and a great business.
If you choose the country and city that is best for your business prospect, you will earn the money to fly around to leverage the advantages of other cities.

When people have kids they want the best education for their children and base their residential address on that factor. But the centre of their business activities is usually in another city.

If you move to a cheaper country it makes sense if you are bringing a bag of money over. If you are making a salary there it doesn’t make sense because due to lower wages net off your purchasing power actually drops and your net saving also drops.

You can also learn e-commerce from your friend in your native country and once its on track you can move to another country and still keep it running, apart from occasionally flying around to secure warehouses, from my understanding.

NathanN

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jul 27, 2022
Vancouver, B.C.
There is for sure more to your life changes compared to mine right now, as moving to a different country and new job is a lot bigger change, but I'll give you my two cents.

I recently just moved like 4 hours away from where I was, a ferry ride and two hours of driving. Two months ago I was depressed, doing the same shit, hanging out with the same people each day, working out at the same gym, and living in the same area I always have.

Now, I'm in school, getting jacked as F*ck, found a great side hustle that pays the bills, meeting new people every day, living 5 minutes away from my best friend with whom I'm starting a business with, and I'm so excited going to bed every day knowing I can get up and work on my goals the next day.

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 16, 2022
If you choose the country and city that is best for your business prospect, you will earn the money to fly around to leverage the advantages of other cities.

When people have kids they want the best education for their children and base their residential address on that factor. But the centre of their business activities is usually in another city.

If you move to a cheaper country it makes sense if you are bringing a bag of money over. If you are making a salary there it doesn’t make sense because due to lower wages net off your purchasing power actually drops and your net saving also drops.

You can also learn e-commerce from your friend in your native country and once its on track you can move to another country and still keep it running, apart from occasionally flying around to secure warehouses, from my understanding.
I see, your idea is to first focus on money and relationships later.
There is for sure more to your life changes compared to mine right now, as moving to a different country and new job is a lot bigger change, but I'll give you my two cents.

I recently just moved like 4 hours away from where I was, a ferry ride and two hours of driving. Two months ago I was depressed, doing the same shit, hanging out with the same people each day, working out at the same gym, and living in the same area I always have.

Now, I'm in school, getting jacked as F*ck, found a great side hustle that pays the bills, meeting new people every day, living 5 minutes away from my best friend with whom I'm starting a business with, and I'm so excited going to bed every day knowing I can get up and work on my goals the next day.
That's cool! I would move in a heartbeat if I knew where my best friends/future wife/best life are right now.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I see, your idea is to first focus on money and relationships later.

That's cool! I would move in a heartbeat if I knew where my best friends/future wife/best life are right now.
I am merely saying you should locate yourself in the city where the business opportunity is.

You can date foreigners in your city or fly to other places to know people and bring them over to your residence city next time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.