The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I have an Idea I want to create

Tabrego

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 10, 2023
So I’ve had this idea for an invention in the back of my head for a couple months now and recently I’ve decided to try and pursue it. A problem I have is my invention would take a good amount of building and coding and I don’t know how to do either. I’m currently in my first year of college and I’ve been going back in forth deciding if I should find engineers and programmers at my school to help me or if I should take the time and learn how to do it on my own. Another problem is I don’t know at what point I should try and get a patent. I’ve had family tell me to try and get a patent as soon as possible and I’ve had people tell me to build it first before spending my money on a patent. I would also appreciate it if anyone could suggest a book that would help me get a better understanding of how to bring my idea to life.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Damien C

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Mar 19, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I would recommend you try and learn how to code, if you find it's not for you at least you will have learned the lingo and have a basic understanding as to not get ripped off or taken for a ride. I wouldn't worry about wasting money on patents until you're in a position where you can execute or have a team in place that can do it.

Can't really point you in the right direction around resources. This would depend entirely upon what you're trying to build. I will say that rather than start-to-finish books and videos, it's probably better to find the most basic tutorial you can find and jump right in and start building something. A completed real world, functional digital product will be the result of hundreds of hours, and multiple sources of information. Stack overflow posts, forums, video tutorials, trial and error and depending on your personality, a lot of swearing

At some point you're going to have to "share" your idea with another party to progress though. Ideas are a dime a dozen, and you shouldn't be too concerned about your "idea" being stolen. You can always omit key features and "put feelers" out in a somewhat vague manner on tech boards and see what comes back.

Boy Muhammad

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 10, 2022
Kebbi, Nigeria
Did you test the idea? if you haven't, forget about everything and work on testing it, build a prototype, create a questionnaire, get on a call, send emails, make sure you validate demand before going all in.

Gregory Carson

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2020
United States, California
If the invention is patentable, you do not need it to be prototyped or working to apply for patent protection. To write a patent application you only have to describe how to make and use it so that a person skilled in the art (someone who would normally be maker/manufacturer) can actually make it. If you think your invention is patentable, I recommend a prior art search to find out. We have an article on how to search for prior art if you're interested. Also, if it helps I provide a free patent consultation for inventors. I am a USPTO registered patent attorney so inventors get client controlled confidentiality to discuss their inventions.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.