The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I have a question about feedback echoes

Gaiervy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Dec 19, 2016
In unscripted MJ said to listen to feedback based off multiple feecback echoes to which I agree but what I don't understand is:

1. When he means "Multiple"..just how much is "Multiple" In the book he gave an example of 20 but wouldn't that be too little feedback to act on? Wouldn't a base of like EX: 300 or 3000 be a better indicator of actionable feeback to act on? This leads to my next question

2. He said "When several people request something you lack, you can bet the market-mind thinks similarly" but how would this be as accurately determined? EX: If you have a customer base of 300,000 and you have feedback echoes of 400 to redesign your website. How would you determine if the other 299,600 customers would or wouldn't want a redesigned site by otherwise assuming "The market thinks clearly"?

Maybe I'm thinking about this too hard

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
In unscripted MJ said to listen to feedback based off multiple feecback echoes to which I agree but what I don't understand is:

1. When he means "Multiple"..just how much is "Multiple" In the book he gave an example of 20 but wouldn't that be too little feedback to act on? Wouldn't a base of like EX: 300 or 3000 be a better indicator of actionable feeback to act on? This leads to my next question

2. He said "When several people request something you lack, you can bet the market-mind thinks similarly" but how would this be as accurately determined? EX: If you have a customer base of 300,000 and you have feedback echoes of 400 to redesign your website. How would you determine if the other 299,600 customers would or wouldn't want a redesigned site by otherwise assuming "The market thinks clearly"?

Maybe I'm thinking about this too hard

Sh*t you need 300 people for feedback? If I get 2-3 complaints I'm changing something. 20 would be way too much. 1 complaint is ok, 2 is starting a pattern, 3 is definitely a pattern, 4 is too much, 5 is WTF my product sucks.

Most people won't complain, so if you get 2, it probably represents 200 people. If you ever get 300 complaints you're f*cked.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
The scale will make more sense to you when you're in the midst of your journey.

If you have a customer base of 300,000 and you have feedback echoes of 400 to redesign your website.

My first profitable website was getting roughly ~100k unique visits a month. I designed it myself, knowing NOTHING about design at the time... and do you know how many people I had asking me to redesign?

ZERO.

If over the course of 3 months I had 400 people ask me to change it... MY GOD.

1 complaint is ok, 2 is starting a pattern, 3 is definitely a pattern, 4 is too much, 5 is WTF my product suck

All it takes is a handful.

When first book got traction, it came with a handful of refund requests. I was selling maybe 250 a month. Of that, I had 10 refund requests a month.

WAY WAY WAY WAY too high for my tastes. 4% of my customers not only hated my product, but they also wanted their measly $12 back.

This wasn't happenstance, it was a PATTERN.
The cause needed to be uncovered and addressed IMMEDIATELY.

In my case, rather than adjust the product, I had to adjust my marketing.

I had said I would show them how to make the cost of hosting a gaming server less of a burden. I fulfilled this promise by showing creative monetization outlets.

The refund requests came from people who didn't care about monetizing their customers, they cared more about improving technical efficiency to reduce costs.

When I adjusted the sales page to alter the language of the promise, the refund requests disappeared.

SRathwell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Jun 26, 2017
Ontario Canada
Here are my thoughts on this.

Any feedback is good feedback, but patterns are KEY! (even if it is negative). Therefore even if you have just 2 or 3 that is enough to act on because as the others above and MJ have said, where there is one there is many. That being said you also have to consider where the feedback is coming from. If they are not within your market and never will be than the feedback has much less value than someone who is. (The trick is figuring that out)

In our case we are in the validation phase, we have loaded up the gumball machine and are waiting to see what comes out. Our product is "premium product" with a price that reflects that. ($800 per unit) Because our hometown area does not have a lot of people with disposable income we received a lot of feedback that said we would never sell because the price was too high (they could not see the value). The turning point was when we put the product in front of those who could see the VALUE, and had the income to ACT. Even though early on we had a lot less of this latter feedback we valued it more then the early.

After launching our pilot run and selling out within a month, our assumptions about the feedback were confirmed.

GUMBALLS BABY!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
We don't know the exact multiple, but if several people took the time to mention something, you can bet there are many more quietly hidden ... dozens? Hundreds? Thousands?

Whatever the #, it's probably actionable intelligence.

Amro

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Oct 5, 2018
Schoorl
Hi,

I would use SES theme splittest if you were using wordpress. Follow the data if you ask me. Don't make assumptions. Do you think Microsoft doesn't have complaints?

If you want to check out the plugin to do this:
Theme splittest
(P.s. no self promotion here. Just help)

Oh and don't follow the money in your analytics straightforward. Stickrate and time on site are maybe even more important since lifetime value is more important then one shot sales.

Just something to think about @Gaiervy

Regards,
Amro

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!