The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I have a business idea...

Idea threads

hawaiiloans

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Oct 6, 2007
Las Vegas
I came up with an idea that I've never seen anywhere. I don't know if it will take off, due to the fact I know nothing about copyrighting or patents. For now it's just a concept, so I don't have the actual material item to show to anyone. I also don't know how much information I can share to get some additional help.

It'll fill a need, because of many complaints that are heard since this item doesn't exist. I know comedians won't be able to use a very common bit because of it. :coolgleamA: If anyone can help me as to what to do next, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
Before you start putting energy in prototype development it is wise to check if it is really new.
If your idea is a patentable item you can start doing this by searching in the patent database at www.uspto.gov to check if it hasn't been patented already. There are lots of products that "don't exist" on the market, but which have been patented years or decades ago.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If you have verified the need and market demand, and feel it can be manufactured at an attractive price, the next step would be to create a prototype.

hawaiiloans

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Oct 6, 2007
Las Vegas
If you have verified the need and market demand, and feel it can be manufactured at an attractive price, the next step would be to create a prototype.

The question is I don't know how to verify need for this product. It's an addition to a very common household item, and I'd say it's targeted toward the married couple market. I don't want to expose the product without the proper patents, as I don't want my idea stolen. It's a very simple concept, and easily copied.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
Did you do a patent search?
Apart from knowing whether it is possible to get a patent to protect your concept a patent search is also important for knowing that you're not infringing somebody else's patent.

Do you have to invest a lot to manufacture your product? For example, do you need to invest in injection molding tools?

hawaiiloans

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Oct 6, 2007
Las Vegas
I did a patent search and unfortunately somebody has patented the idea. The thing is, how come this is not marketed to the public? I've never seen anything like this in widespread use.

It's too bad it was already in effect but this will be good education for the future.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.