The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Knowledgefactry

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 28, 2021
Jesus f*cking christ.

Calm down Marty McFly!

@Knowledgefactry you better be listening to Van Halen when wearing that suit. Ok? Also, when someone bothers you.

You must respond with: "Silence, Earthling. My name is Darth Vader. I am an extraterrestrial from the planet Vulcan!"
I’m a big book worm, wouldn’t have found this forum without that fact so anyone who thinks reading is a waste of time is a waste of my time

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
If the plan is to burn it in stock market atleast get some returns on the investment.

Rent a Lamborghini and throw money around at the stripclub! Living the dream baby! Don't forget the champagne room with bottles!

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Even if you’re trying to find a place to put taxes from independent contract work that grows it instead of letting it sit in a savings account? Maybe investing that kind of stuff is too lucky but with the right moves it grows plenty in the next year before they’re due and pocket the profit.

Appreciate the straightforward talk though, someone has to say it
Put the money towards not being a damn independent contractor anymore.

If independent contracting can't scale then you should be using it as a stepping stone to something that does.

(work + investing your savings in the stock market) x 50 years = slowlane

(bust your a$$ + reinvest all profits into scalable business) x 5 years = fastlane

Knowledgefactry

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 28, 2021
Put the money towards not being a damn independent contractor anymore.

If independent contracting can't scale then you should be using it as a stepping stone to something that does.

(work + investing your savings in the stock market) x 50 years = slowlane

(bust your a$$ + reinvest all profits into scalable business) x 5 years = fastlane
I’ve gotten more better/honest advice from this forum in my 5 visits than 22 years of living. Appreciate the response

ADR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jul 23, 2016
Miami, FL
Let me paint a picture here:

I want a specific book...

“I know let me patronize my public library!”

So I drive one of my 14 MPG 4wd SUVs down to a stale old government building before I “waste” $10.

“Sir you need to wear a mask”

Under my breath: “I hate you.” I put it on. I notice a picture of Joe Biden on the wall behind her.

“Oh crap, you don’t have it... Oh You’ll have it next week? Great!”

I come back next week.

“Sir, you need to wear a mask.”

I act like I didn’t hear the bitch.

“SIR!!!! You NEED to WEAR a MASK!”

I guess I need to either act deaf or apologize now. Next time I’ll wear my AirPods.

Back to the truck to get my face diaper.

Back inside!

“Oh a fellow patron didn’t return it on time.”

Son of a bitch.

I come back the following week.

Defeated, I put my mask on with my nose out in silent defiance.

“Sir, you need to pull your mask over your nose.”

I look around for an easy way to kill myself. Nothing. Oh well. “Sure let me pull that right up for you.”

“Do you have this book?”

“What? I can’t hear you.”

“Yeah that’s because you insist on standing behind 3 layers of plexiglass and I’m wearing a face diaper.”

“What?”

I raise my voice... “DO YOU HAVE THIS (f*cking implied) BOOK?”

“Yes, right here!”

“Hooray you finally have it? Wait... What is this nasty slime on the cover? Let me go wash my hands and why don’t you wipe this thing down while I do that?”

Finally, I get it for free, I’m walking out... And I realize... It is a 600 page book and I have a week to read it or it isn’t free.

The next day I develop a severe illness, presumably the slime was the culprit. Is this covid? No! It’s meningitis. I am dead in 24 hours.

In her mourning, my wife goes to bring the book back several weeks later...

“Ma’am, you need to wear a mask”

“You’re very late on this return, that will be $11.”

f*ck. I look down from above wishing I could kill myself even though I’m already dead.

The alternative to dying inside and then literally dying:

View attachment 36928
Check out an eBook

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
I’ve gotten more better/honest advice from this forum in my 5 visits than 22 years of living. Appreciate the response
keep in mind you can still pay yourself a basic salary while reinvesting your profit.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
With $1000 I would just keep saving.

After watching someone at work turn $1000 into $60,000 over the span of a few months in crypto however im not so sure anymore.

Haha.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
Was it knowledge or luck?
With $1000 I would just keep saving.

After watching someone at work turn $1000 into $60,000 over the span of a few months in crypto however im not so sure anymore.

Haha.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Only if you care about being able to replicate it.
Good point.
He said he has researched it for 6 months.

I don't see the use for it myself, but happy for him.

I have been telling him to sell for weeks, he still hasn't.

Bit worried....hopefully.comes yo his senses and takes at least some out...

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
I am hesitant to ask this question as I have seen how MJ responds to stupid and ~very~ broad questions in his books, but I have to shoot my shot regardless. I am a college student in about $15k in debt, soon to be graduating. I work part time and make enough money to pay my rent and necessities, but will not be making enough to save until months in the future. I have just gotten a $1,000 check from my university for a grant. As of now, my options are let it sit in the bank or invest it. Should I hold onto it in the bank with all this talk of a potential crash (high growth stocks are about to be on sale?) or pour it into an already succeeding high growth stock or even crypto currency.

I have little investing experience, just started paying attention to the investing world in the last 6 months and my current assets are small. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

@Knowledgefactry - how are you doing? Did you pay off your $15k debt? What did you end up doing with the $1k grant?

@Kak
It's up to me to break this to you, I guess someone has to do it... so be it, it's me. When you "buy" your amazon kindle books, you don't own them. The grand overlord Jeff owns them, you are just renting.
Since I am on fire here, let me also share with you that Canadian public libraries are available for online remote access (similar to amazon).

Now onto serious post. @Knowledgefactry

Books are a great investment because they are cheap, provide access to conversations with the brightest minds, and help keep your brain sharp.

Books are cheap because the author has already put in the time and effort to learn and condense the material for consumption by a reader. This means that you are getting a lot of value for your money.

Books also provide access to conversations with the brightest minds. By reading books written by experts in their field, you can learn from their knowledge and expertise. This can help you grow your own skills and knowledge base.

Finally, books help keep your brain sharp. Even when the material is not directly linked to something earning you money today, reading books can help you learn and develop new skills. This can be valuable in helping you achieve your long-term goals.

So, if you are looking for a great investment that provides a lot of value for your money, look no further than books. They are cheap, provide access to conversations with the brightest minds, and help keep your brain sharp. What’s not to love? I own/read more books than I care to count.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Damn, can't believe I missed this thread! It was quite the rollercoaster.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
If you can't afford a book for $10 you need to stop being poor. If you can't figure out how to pirate books you need to stop being stupid. If you participate in communist b.s. then you deserve meningitis.
This thread is the best

The Well Defined Man was a throwback.

Someone should find that thread and bump it.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
G

Guest-5ty5s4

I was a complete dumbass on this thread for falling for the drama (hey so were several other people ;) ) but it was fun. Perhaps it wasn't the thread, but the friends we made along the way...

Hope OP finally got his stuff sorted out.

*still stand by the points about liberty and stuff:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
WtF is this thread? It’s redacted big time, and I haven’t seen MJ go ape shit on anyone before. I kind of liked it too. Looks like the early days of the FLF had even more drama. Worse drama and some real con artists.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

WtF is this thread? It’s redacted big time, and I haven’t seen MJ go ape shit on anyone before. I kind of liked it too. Looks like the early days of the FLF had even more drama. Worse drama and some real con artists.
see? occasional angry rant >> real con artists

I jest, but yeah, there have been some super shady characters come and go. But that's the nature of business!

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
@thechosen1 speaking of garbage

I do a lot of crazy shit...

I quit my job when my boss offered me a promotion to build businesses that challenge social norms (maybe this one is normal for this forum). I spend 2 years traveling around the country. I spend weeks with spiritual gurus who taught me how to create my future with my mind. I work with leading researchers in neuroscience and psychology. I spend my time with Animal Rights Activists. I lived in a house with 18 year hold hippie girls for 3 months. And today, I topped the list.

Today, I joined a friend when he invited me to go dumpster diving...

His role: Jumping in dumpster and finding things.

My role: Take lots of pictures, hope nobody is watching us, and have a heart attack when he pulls out a Macbook Pro from the bottom of a dumpster.

View attachment 12982

View attachment 12981

My friend Scott has been dumpster diving for 10 years now, and he says every single day, there are $10,000 worth of things throw away in dumpsters in Boulder, Colorado alone.

Last year, his friend found a $24,000 gold rolex. He found 2 pounds of marijuana last year, and last week he invited me to go dumpster diving with him.

I went out to dinner with my girlfriend, and spent $46 on an awesome Italian dinner and drinks. When I got home, he found a brand new pair of snowboard bindings, with the receipt - bought for $200. He flipped it on Craigslist for $150

View attachment 12983

Things to know - in college towns - the kids throw away anything and everything they don't want to take home with them. In boulder, these 2 weeks are when college students move out of their apartments and into new ones.

A lot of stuff gets thrown away.

Macbook, which is being sold on craiglist for $400. One of the wires was unplugged inside of it, so the person threw it away. Scott plugged in the wire and it works fine.
View attachment 12984

$500 worth of guitars
View attachment 12985

$100 Nikon

View attachment 12986

Camping gear and two GPS'

View attachment 12987

Last week, he found about $4,000 worth of tents thrown away in a commercial dumpster behind an outdoors store - because some of the poles were missing and they couldn't sell them.

The process:

1. Go to dumpsters near apartment complexes when students move out.
2. Go through dumpsters and find the things they throw away. I personall threw away a lot of things I didn't want to take with me when I move.
3. Sell items at thrift shops, ebay, or craigslist to turn a profit.

Picture of Scott selling items on a Mac computer (Which he actually found in a dumpster last month)

View attachment 12988
Now I’m all caught up on AndrewNC. Two threads skimmed - conclusion simple: it’s garbage.

Did anyone fall for the “Rolex in the dumpster” story? Or am I to skeptical in life?

Back to the original programming now…

OP - apologize for the derail.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

@thechosen1 speaking of garbage

Now I’m all caught up on AndrewNC. Two threads skimmed - conclusion simple: it’s garbage.

Did anyone fall for the “Rolex in the dumpster” story? Or am I to skeptical in life?

Back to the original programming now…

OP - apologize for the derail.
"Picture of Scott selling items on a Mac computer (Which he actually found in a dumpster last month)"

- Bro, that's just a photo of someone looking at eBay :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
:rofl:

1. I’d rather Jeff own them than the government.
2. Meningitis

View attachment 42393

Free continued education for you, you greedy capitalist:
1. Jeff and a few of his pals (Elon, Mark, Sergei, Bill etc.) may as well own the government too. That’s how they get you. Welcome to the matrix.
2. Lol.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Free continued education for you, you greedy capitalist:
1. Jeff and a few of his pals (Elon, Mark, Sergei, Bill etc.) may as well own the government too. That’s how they get you. Welcome to the matrix.
2. Lol.
You’re not very good at this witty banter thing bro.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007