The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I had a problem, then I built a solution. Here's a demo.

AdrianMC

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 2, 2014
I talk about it in this blog post: https://medium.com/@adrianli/how-i-read-one-thousand-articles-to-get-my-startup-idea-233fdab8a031

There's also a video demo of the prototype at the end of that post. We got the idea initially from trying to scratch our own itch and we know that there must be tons of people out there who share links with their teams and want to build an info-store collaboratively. The only problem is I am not sure who I should be targeting specifically.

Feedback? Ideas?

Any comment would be appreciated. Much thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lavi Fletcher

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jun 2, 2015
Sydney
Not trying to diss it or anything, but can't you just make two windows and basically create exactly what your iFrame feature offers?

SmoothFranko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 31, 2015
Australia
I like the concept but I wouldn't personally use it as I have 2 monitors and can just type away in one while listening/reading in the other

AdrianMC

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 2, 2014
I like the concept but I wouldn't personally use it as I have 2 monitors and can just type away in one while listening/reading in the other
Not trying to diss it or anything, but can't you just make two windows and basically create exactly what your iFrame feature offers?

Maybe I should take the emphasis out from the split screen view.

The real value we want to provide is being able to organize chat-like comments under each link.

Meaning that links are first-class objects, and that every discussion you have with your team is going to be tied to a particular topic.

I also want to stress that we extract the full-text of blog articles so that we can auto-identify keywords for tagging as well as enable full-text search.

AdrianMC

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 2, 2014
But I appreciate your replies. That means we over-emphasized a feature and under-emphasized other features.

AdrianMC

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 2, 2014
How are you market testing this?

That's what I'm trying to figure out. It's a scratch your own itch idea, but I know there's a demand out there just from all the existing competitors: Slack, HipChat, Gibbon, etc.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I'm a little lost and I've never been amazing with technology... and I'm completely ignorant... if you can explain it to me -- you'll basically have your sales pitch down.

... so with that being said... I don't get it? What's the point? To be more efficient at slacking off?

AdrianMC

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 2, 2014
I'm a little lost and I've never been amazing with technology... and I'm completely ignorant... if you can explain it to me -- you'll basically have your sales pitch down.

... so with that being said... I don't get it? What's the point? To be more efficient at slacking off?

No this is more for design agencies or small teams that need to do research. Basically any time when you have a small group of people constantly sharing links with each other on a daily basis and discussing them as well.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
No this is more for design agencies or small teams that need to do research. Basically any time when you have a small group of people constantly sharing links with each other on a daily basis and discussing them as well.

So I have a group of people working on a project sharing files and ideas... how is it different than basecamp?

Again, don't take offense to my ignorance.

AdrianMC

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 2, 2014
So I have a group of people working on a project sharing files and ideas... how is it different than basecamp?

Again, don't take offense to my ignorance.

No worries, I'm not taking any offence at all. This is good because obviously it means I'm not communicating the value properly. I should be apologizing for that, I'm still learning.

I don't know if this makes sense, but "posts" are first-class objects. That means that everything needs to be under a post. And you can have "link posts" or "text posts". Think of it like Reddit, but within each "post" is a chat-room. Does that make a little more sense?

On top of that paradigm, we also want to enable the ability to store the entire text of articles and allow you to make and save highlights. Essentially, make it easier to take notes on articles, podcasts, and videos collaboratively.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
No worries, I'm not taking any offence at all. This is good because obviously it means I'm not communicating the value properly. I should be apologizing for that, I'm still learning.

I'm on the opposite spectrum. I am old school hustler in business. I know I need you but I have no idea why.

I don't know if this makes sense, but "posts" are first-class objects. That means that everything needs to be under a post. And you can have "link posts" or "text posts". Think of it like Reddit, but within each "post" is a chat-room. Does that make a little more sense?

Not... really?

On top of that paradigm, we also want to enable the ability to store the entire text of articles and allow you to make and save highlights. Essentially, make it easier to take notes on articles, podcasts, and videos collaboratively.

Here's the big question as a potential client (quite literally)... how is this going to make me money?

AdrianMC

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 2, 2014
I'm on the opposite spectrum. I am old school hustler in business. I know I need you but I have no idea why.

Not... really?

Here's the big question as a potential client (quite literally)... how is this going to make me money?

I appreciate you taking the time to reply me. That's a good question, nice and straight to the point. Let me give it a shot.

Example - Marketing Campaign Management

A typical small business might have any number of marketing campaigns going on. The employees of a company will need to know how to execute those campaigns. Usually there's also a list of previous campaigns so that it can be referenced in the future. For those previous campaigns that worked well, it is likely that there would be step-by-step documentation on what the company did to be successful. Usually this information is kept in some Word Document that is stored on the office server or floats around from employee to employee.

Consider that an employee might have read an article on a new campaign strategy, took some notes on it, and passed it to the business owner. The business owner takes a look at her notes and says, "interesting, let's run this for a week." The employee then goes out to discuss the strategy with a few other employees over email. The employee then executes the campaign but stores the results of the campaign in a separate file.

In this situation, your information is all over the place. You've got:

- A list of previous successful campaigns
- How to execute previous campaigns
- The blog article the employee found
- The notes that the employee took on that article
- The conversation between the employee and the business owner
- The email conversation between the employee and the other employees
- The steps for how to execute this new strategy
- The results of this new strategy

Our solution will have every single one of these items stored and linked together on the website for easy retrieval. If you have a new employee join your company, she would be able to access all of the above information in a coherent time-line so that she can understand what was tried, how it was tried, and what happened.

This saves money because employees who need to know about previous marketing efforts can easily search "marketing" and get a broad overview of what was tried before, and dig into the details if they need to. No more spending time asking people about whether or not they think something has been done before, or how to repeat a previous campaign.

I used marketing as an example, but it could be any kind of knowledge that a business runs on. Some companies also call this "knowledge management software".

In a way, it's like a running documentation of your company's cumulative experience.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Here's the real challenge... can you bring that down to ONE sentence that will explain why I need it?

The simpler your message the more effective it is.

"Sell me this pen."
"Ok, do me a favor and write down your name."
"I don't have a pen."
"Here you go."

4HWW shared the Apple example. They had it perfect: 1,000 songs in your pocket.

I just looked at your competition too... their sites are gawd-awful... at least Slack and HipChat... Gibbon all I found was some kind of monkey...

Here's the mentality I have going on:

Person A meets someone on the street and says "here's my business card, it has my website where you can enter your email and then my automated messages will reach you and then on day 7 you'll get the answer to the question you just asked."

Person B meets someone on the street and just sells them something because they are right in front of them.

Am I wrong in thinking this software will make my team be similar to Person A where they are now adding 6 additional steps to whatever they are doing (whether it's a sales presentation, a marketing campaign, or whatever)?

AdrianMC

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 2, 2014
Here's the real challenge... can you bring that down to ONE sentence that will explain why I need it?

The simpler your message the more effective it is.

"Sell me this pen."
"Ok, do me a favor and write down your name."
"I don't have a pen."
"Here you go."

4HWW shared the Apple example. They had it perfect: 1,000 songs in your pocket.

I just looked at your competition too... their sites are gawd-awful... at least Slack and HipChat... Gibbon all I found was some kind of monkey...

Here's the mentality I have going on:

Person A meets someone on the street and says "here's my business card, it has my website where you can enter your email and then my automated messages will reach you and then on day 7 you'll get the answer to the question you just asked."

Person B meets someone on the street and just sells them something because they are right in front of them.

Am I wrong in thinking this software will make my team be similar to Person A where they are now adding 6 additional steps to whatever they are doing (whether it's a sales presentation, a marketing campaign, or whatever)?

All very good points. We've talked to a good number of people over the past few days and we think we're going to look over everyone's feedback and tweak our offering. I'll be back to post again in a week or two.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
As a slack user, I can say I definitely dont need this or want this.

I post the articles directly into slack and talk about them, I never really need the exact sentence.... I don't think I've ever needed the exact quote. Same with other people posting articles, they just post the articles and we discuss them.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.