The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I Failed at Importing Even Though It Makes $100k/mo

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
A few points from my journeys down similar paths.

Expand distribution channels. Do as I say, not as I do. Your business can reach scale faster, and be more viable and stable (and demonstrate more value) if you have multiple channels of distribution. Use the Paint Brush Cover as an example from within the forum. The business had value before Lori Grenier invested in it, because it was proprietary, solved a need, and he had grass roots support in multiple channels of distribution.

If you have an item business, you have an ASSET to sell. You have accounts, branding, social media, URL's, customer data, sales history, sales projections, eCommerce traffic, etc...... all of which can be included in an ASSET sale. You don't have to worry (at all!) about selling your "company." If your product is strong, proprietary, and has a demonstrated market share position (it doesn't even have to be #1 market share... it just has to be a player in the sector in which you operate) then you have an ASSET someone would want. Don't think about the traditional "I sold my company for 16 million..." as you can empty the company of it's ASSETs and sell the assets to someone who would want them. This is the path that ultimately will cash out my current business (and my last business). What I have can add value to someone else's bigger picture. I don't care. Money is money.

Embracing different ways to sell what you developed are how you'll get a deal done. You don't need to only think linear about someone buying your "company." You don't even need to sell a "company" at all. You just have to have something that someone else wants to buy. Maybe they don't want to buy your people, your office, your debt, or anything else. Maybe they just want to buy the cool new fishing pole reel you developed. So sell them that, and the domain name that goes along with it. That opens the door to discussions with a variety of new prospective buyers... not just someone that wants to run your "company" as your old "company."

When you are sitting on the beach in a beachchair made out of stacks, you're not going to care how you got the deal done. (And, as a sidebar, nobody else will care either. It's a passing, two sentence discussion. Once you sell, it's done. It's the reason MJ no longer talks about Limos.com. That was last decades news for him. WHAT he sold is no longer important, and HOW he did it is the only relevant factor, and only now for teaching purposes. Nobody really cares about your history.)

My current "business" (is it a business if the value is primarily in the intellectual property? I'd argue it's an asset, not really a "business" to be sold) hasn't been sold not because of lack of interest in it, but because I wasn't happy with the multiples on the table. How do I fix that? I make the assets worth more. How do I do that? I expand the reach/scale, and make the asset base stronger. Meanwhile, I am not in a hurry. It doesn't have to be sold.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Last edited by a moderator:

Toushi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Aug 3, 2013
Ah, Vigilante beat me to it, but to sell a business "asset" you are selling more than just a product line and website. Currently you CAN sell the business, just not to the type of people you'd want to. Your target demographic is the B2B crowd which is older and expects some of the traditional asset infrastructure in place before investing. This asset base, as Vig said, creates a high barrier to entry and makes it worth investing their time and effort long term. There are checks & measures in place because no one wants to buy a business, "stop the ads" and have their investment tank. No one wants to be taken as a fool. What makes it a business and not a product? To get you thinking in the right direction (think Zappos) they want a strong asset that's a safe bet, one that has:
-solid books/financials
-diversified product distribution channels
-diversified performing product line
-diversified marketing/outreach channels
-strong brand recognition
-consistently strong user base
-proprietary IT infrastructure
-proprietary software/strong website
- loyal employee base
- affable supplier/partner relations
-solid growth/revenue projections
-strong market share or potential market share
- Etc Etc!

Own the biggest piece of pie you can.

Paul Thomas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 9, 2013
You'd be surprised at how well investment bankers can package a hodge podge of products/data/accounts into a seemingly perfect "asset" and create competitive buzz around it, and make a sale.

Granted, you will pay a banker ~$1m+ to do that.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
You guys all realize you can sell an Amazon business right? Ryan Moran is famous for selling zenactive sports for a million dollars (ish?). That was an Amazon-only business he ran for about a year before selling it.

Would his company have sold for say, 10 million, if he had a "real brand" that was in retail outlets and on his own site and around the web and had a whole fleshed out line of products? Probably. Did he NEED it to sell his Amazon business? Not at all.

If you have a machine that prints money, someone out there is likely available to buy it.

(I'm not advocating you stick with Amazon-only businesses but don't be mistaken into thinking a single product Amazon business isn't worth anything....)

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
Great thread and nice problem to have! I really need to stop pushing webcam offers and toolbar downloads. :(

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
Thank you to each and everyone one of the posts I'll try and respond to specific questions that stick out in later posts.

But to address the main reason I don't feel what I have is a really sellable business (yes you can sell anything for the right price),

I cut corners.

I am going to try and fix what I did wrong. I learn quick, and I started in this path as a learning experiment anyways knowing I'd screw up a ton.

The product I picked is a new tech fad in the beauty and fashion realm. I saw it, thought hey that has the wow factor I like and some cool features, bet I could sell the crap out it.

I contacted some manufacturers on Alibaba and just slapped my label on the product. That's it.

There are now LOTS of competitors for my product on many sources. Most selling my exact product for 1/4 of what I'm selling it at. My only advantage at this point is better marketing.

Additionally, my wife tried out the product, and while it does work like it says - it leaves some to be desired and could use some serious easy(?) changes to make it better.

The way I see it, right now, my business's selling value is not much more than charging someone to intro them to the manufacturer from alibaba, how to get it to a fulfillment center, and how to run a FB ad. All of which this forum so graciously gives out for free :D

I thus have a few options that I'm looking at (I know there are other paths, these are just the two I'm most interested in right now):

Option A:
I'll contact the manufacturer and see what it'll take to make the changes I want.

I think I'll feel much better about this when my unique selling point isn't my FB marketing, but instead having an actually superior product to back it all up INSTEAD of just slapping my label/brand on the same thing everyone else has, especially when it fits the mold of 'typical china crap'.

Honestly, I think I just lost vision for this product after seeing that everyone was selling it and seeing that the product wasn't all it could be. If I can make the changes I have in mind, I bet I can create some fan-fair around it and the brand and create something really awesome.

Option B:
Continue to not care about this product other than using it to stack cash and perfect my system of finding hot products that I can sell millions of online.

In doing this, my business will not be a single product. Instead it will be the machine that can identify and sell any kind of product that can deliver massive sales.

Option C:
Do both :)

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
You guys all realize you can sell an Amazon business right?
Yea - at least on amazon you are naturally building the asset as you make sells with all the sales ranks and (hopefully) reviews.

I'm working on getting this product on amazon right now. Mostly just to do it. I've never put anything on amazon so once again, using this as a learning tool.

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
Option B... @biophase has some great tips in his e-commerce thread...

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
@biophase has some great tips in his e-commerce thread...
Yes he does. I follow a lot of the big threads on here.

Seriously guys - all the information to repeat what I have done (and do better) is all here scattered throughout this forum.

When I joined the forum I was in a tough spot financially due to some serious medical issues with my son and debating dumping my dreams and going back to school for something more 'guaranteed'.

All it takes is guts and determination.

I'm not the only one either. I know of at least 5 others who are all doing 7 figures+ now thanks to this forum who all started at the same time as me. We all worked together helping each other out to grow together till we could all go our own ways and fulfill our own unique dreams.

It can be done. It can take a few years, but it can be done.

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
One big difference between a business and just a product is that... businesses have very structured processes. A process for procurement, a process for sales, a process for marketing, a process for HR.

That being said, nothing wrong with have solid cashflow from a product... invest it into hard "wealth preservation" type assets (stocks, bonds, etfs, alts, real estate etc.)

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
That being said, nothing wrong with have solid cashflow from a product... invest it into hard "wealth preservation" type assets (stocks, bonds, etfs, alts, real estate etc.)

If you don't want to sell the business yet, I can't stress this enough. @MJ DeMarco gave me similar advice in this thread on the inside (he basically said, "save money for the day it rains").

Since my business doesn't require inventory/there are few ways to reinvest money in it, I save and invest the majority of what I earn. There are more paths to the post-Fastlane life than just selling a business for millions. Obviously earning a lot of money while building an easily sellable asset is better, but if a different route works for you, it doesn't make sense to change it.

In my case, I'm just basically transferring money from my business into hard assets that will eventually provide me with true wealth and financial independence (money is transitory, wealth is permanent). I'd advise you to do the same. In a very unlikely situation you won't be able to sell your business at all, money you'll save and reinvest now will still help you achieve or get much closer to permanent early retirement (if that's what you want).

It also reminds me of this piece of advice from @GlobalWealth:

Of course most times your best roi is in your own business. But not always. What if your business is declining (or even crashing)? What if you just got a new competitor that is kicking your a$$ with new technology or processes or contracts?

As entrepreneurs our instinct is to fight because we always think we are the smartest/best/savviest/etc. But sometimes we are not.

Or what about when there is an economic crisis. Look at all the smart real estate investors in 2008-09. Most didn't fare very well and the ones who put all their eggs in their own basket are still rebuilding, or working at Starbucks.

Or maybe there is nothing for you to invest in with your own business. Maybe you are earning an extra $20k/month but only live on $2k and cannot deploy more than another $2k in your own business for growth.

If you are in some virtual type business with very low overhead maybe you can take some of that excess cash and invest in some advertising. But maybe you cannot spend an extra $18k in advertising. Or maybe you don't want that much additional business as it may change your lifestyle.

Ultimately I think it depends on what stage you are in with your business.

If you are in a startup and growing rapidly, it is likely the best option to invest in your own business. But if your business is more mature then it would be very smart to diversify and get some of that excess cash working for you.

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
I am interested in buying this business from you. I'm well versed in this kind of operation and would be able to take it to the next level if your numbers are legit. what is your profit margin on that 100k/month? PM?

While away from this forum, I've done quite well for myself and I'm looking to buy or invest in businesses I know well.

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
@911Carrera I'll PM

But also want to post publicly that I'm not looking to sell at the moment. I'd like to build this out much larger first.

And thanks to this thread I now have more confidence in it and have some great decisions ahead on which path I really want to go down.

I believe I can crank it up to 100k per week.

These next two weeks will tell a lot on the possibilities to hit that goal.

and net profit is around 66%

nitop

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Dec 21, 2015
a business is the one that can take the customers and prospects through a well oiled value added sales funnel, "forcing" them to put money in your pocket while increasing the "clv" ... , a product is merely a tool in the funnel..

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
Also, is this $100k revenue or $100k net profit? (This makes a big difference in your decision in trying to sell the business)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.