The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I Can't focus and it's driving me *** nuts!

stressfree

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Aug 10, 2011
I get so sidetracked daily with new offers, new ideas..so much so I never actually start anything. I never sued to be like this. I ran one small bizz for 6 + years and did ok. Nothing big. Nowadays I have too many things going on at once and keep geting my head turned.

Why is this? and how do I focus?

:smxE:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
I think you said it yourself: "I ran one small bizz."

Find something that you can commit to, and COMMIT to it. Run that ONE small business. Quit chasing every "shiny penny."

(Sez the guy who is juggling about 5 balls right now...)

Robre

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I get so sidetracked daily with new offers, new ideas..so much so I never actually start anything. I never sued to be like this. I ran one small bizz for 6 + years and did ok. Nothing big. Nowadays I have too many things going on at once and keep geting my head turned.

Why is this? and how do I focus?

:smxE:

I'm on the same boat. I am starting to get frustrated with myself.

Steven Williams

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 29, 2011
Kenosha
You've got to write down your goals + include the business you want to be successful in. Pick a specific time of day to work on that business. When you're working on it don't have the TV, radio or your email on.

After you finish you can turn that stuff back on. This will keep you focused! As for seeing new offers you'll always have that feeling of wanting to see what other people are doing and that's normal.

Just keep in mind...that you can be successful at the business you're working on, you don't need to do every opportunity that's out there!

Your internal switch "fear of loss" is turned on when you see these other offers, but if you understand that that's their business and they are successful at it...great for them. But you're working on your business and you'll be successful at yours too!

Remember in the book - There offers have you focused on the "Event". That's why you get motivated to do what they are doing, BUT even if you switched to their business opportunity you'll be in the same place you're in now. So get FOCUSED on the "Process"!

paulosully

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 8, 2011
Massachusetts
It's an old cliche, but "begin with the end in mind". Decide where you really want to be in 1, 5, 10, whatever years. Then figure which vehicle will realistically get you there. Some things you're considering may not line up with your goals.
I've been juggling about 4 or 5 ideas. But I keep thinking about where I want to to be in 3 to 5 years, and there's 1 idea that, for me, has the greatest chance of delivering. So that's where I'm putting my attention.

NewWorldOrder

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 16, 2011
My 2 cents...

1. Convince yourself that one half-a$$ effort at a single idea is a million times more valuable than NO effort on ANY idea.

2. All ideas are NOT created equally great. Run small (with respect to time and effort) experiments to help figure out which idea is actually the best. If any idea turns out to be a dud, or okay but not great, then you can drop it.

Hope this helps! Cheers!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Amazing this topic continually resurfaces as if people think they can juggle 5 different things and get "Fastlane" type results. A business that grows meteorically requires a commitment like a marriage. If you're cheating on your wife and never home to build that relationship, do you think it will thrive, let alone survive?

Pick something and give it your all. Then adjust.

As they say, you get out what you put in. Putting in 10% in 10 businesses will get you 1% type of results because your process becomes handicapped.

NewsletterScott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Apr 4, 2009
Las Vegas
1) Look at your options and figure out what fastlane idea you would like to pursue and focus on

2) Eliminate all current distractions that will take your focus away from focusing on making #1 a success, and don't allow yourself to veer off course...

3) Have someone hold you accountable to making the idea work, and check in with you on a weekly basis (a mentor). Go to them and tell them what you are doing, and ask them to help you stay focused. (Hell you can use this forum as accountability.)

4) Take your idea, and start drilling down...(this is the brain dump phase)...and you should be answering many questions all at once...here are some below off the top of my head as I type this.

*What product am I going to sell?

*Does it fit into the fastlane business model?

*How am I going to sell it?

*How am I going to make it and scale it up, with the more orders/sales I get?

*What is the intended revenue model, and what needs to be in place to support the model?

*Who can I go to right now to help me begin the PROCESS of pushing it forward little by little?

*What information do I know that I don't know that I need to learn as I take actions on the thing that I know? (Example - I know that I don't know how to set up paypal, so I need to do some google searches on that that explain it step by step, or go to paypal help and try to figure it out)

*What are the metrics I am going to track, to test the effectiveness of my actions in building my business?

*How can I test the market on a small scale without much capital to know that I have something that people want/need and/or have an insatiable desire to buy even if they don't "need" it so you can blow it out with more money or funding from an outside source?

...I can keep going on and on (as there are many other questions), but this should get you started.

The best way I can recommend you brainstorm all of this is to use a mindmap, or go sign up for evernote and write it out there in a notebook.

Set up the notebook like this

Notebook:
PROJECT NAME XYZ

Notes Within Notebook:
#1) BRAINDUMP - this is where you ask and answer all the questions above
#2) ACTION LIST - this is the second sheet as described below
#3) CONTACTS - anyone you either directly know and/or need to know to help move you forward
#4) TOOLS/RESOURCES - any links to tools/content/guides etc...to help you IMPLEMENT and follow the PROCESSS

KEY POINT
As you are going through this brainstorming session, have another sheet to the side that puts down the ACTION ITEMS you need to start the PROCESS of getting the idea to market...As you are going through the process of answering the questions above, you will find that you will see the action items come to the surface to make it a reality...Write these action items down on this page.

After you are done with your initial brainstorm and have this second sheet with the action items, then take the time to prioritize the items on this list from most important to least important, then START TAKING ACTION.

Anybody can plan, but few can act consistently.

There is a speaker I like to follow by the name of Richard Flint...he says... Focus on being consistently persistent because you are persistently consistent.

Don't allow yourself to veer off from this action item list...use it as your guide

And be sure to check in with your accountability partner to ensure that you stay on track.

As you continue taking action, and begin to learn more, you will add more items to your brain dump, and action item list...this again as it is talked about in MJ's book...PART OF THE PROCESS.

I hope this helps...if there is anything that isn't clear please feel free to drop me a comment in this thread...Would be happy to reply.

-Scott Bradley

stressfree

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Aug 10, 2011
Hi

Thanks for some fantastic advice here. I'll copy this out and keep reading. Thank you

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Sounds like you are trying to play basketball without a net - just running around playing with your balls...

Seriously, you need to take some time to define your goals. Once you have this established, your mind will recognize opportunities that drive you toward your stated purpose.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 10, 2011
Set your goals and pull out ideas one by one. Always think of the pros and cons in decision making. Try to set things straight and block other unnecessary opportunities that would turn you around and make you think again. Don't get too excited.
I see you have a small bizz for 6+ years and try coming with ideas from there. Like you said it's a small bizz, why not try to taking it to the next level - meaning moving up you small bizz to a big bizz. Why not try expanding? Stick to what you have and what you are good at. Don't rush..

lleone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Sep 7, 2011
New York
I definitely have been where you're at and usually for me it is usually that I'm not "laser focused" to the degree I need to be. Right now I'm sure there is one important task that is critical for you to get to the next step. Just do that one task. Nothing else. Then identify the next ONE task. Without a "laser focus" it is easy to get overwhelmed or sidetracked. Just as an aside, many times that one critical task is one you don't necessarily want to do and tend to procrastinate. One task at a time you will get there.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.