The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I cant choose wether to learn HTML/CSS (web design) or Python! Please help

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

hoponthebop

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Apr 16, 2019
Im 17yo and I want to start learnning programming. I dont know what I want to build i just want to learn and have a career with it and make cash because I like programming. I dont know if i should keep going with python or keep going with learning web design and html/css/javascript.

What would you suggest?

Maybe web design because there are tons of businesses needing a site?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
You can't really go wrong with learning and sort of code. Each form of code has its own application, and chances are you will benefit from learning a multitude of these codes.

It depends on what intrigues you? Do you think making websites will peak your interest or do you think creating software, apps etc. is more your alley.

Learning any code is easy to start, difficult to master, so I suggest getting involved with whatever will keep you interested so you don't burn out.

Personally, I was able to learn HTML and CSS in like 3 months. I'm not an expert, but it's enough to get the job done.

Jack Hammer

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Sep 19, 2018
Why not both? Python and JavaScript aren't terribly different from each other, so once you learn something from one, it'll seem very familiar when you learn the same thing with the other. And Python is a useful skill to have for web design (e.g. Django).

But if you want to learn them serially rather than in parallel, I'd vote for HTML/CSS/JavaScript first. I suppose with Python, you could learn something like scikit-learn and specialize in machine learning or big data, but web design is probably more practical.

A_Random_Guy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
May 27, 2019
India
I prefer starting with Python if you are an analytic or start with HTML/CSS if you have a good memory. Web Designing doesn't need 200+iq to learn and master and you can complete up to an intermediate level in a month watching videos and tutorials.
However, at some point, you should start learning to code because there are millions of freelance web designers.

nyc217

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 7, 2017
New York, NY
Im 17yo and I want to start learnning programming. I dont know what I want to build i just want to learn and have a career with it and make cash because I like programming. I dont know if i should keep going with python or keep going with learning web design and html/css/javascript.

What would you suggest?

It depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

If, like you said, you want to get a job first and not go to college (i.e. be a self taught programmer), then go with front end development, so HTML and CSS. I am a self taught developer and have found it easier to get front end opportunities without a degree.

Now, if you wanna build something for an entrepreneurial venture AND not get a job in programming, don't learn either. I made the mistake. It is premature optimization in that you are learning something without a basis/idea for it. Basically, learn something when you need to on a problem by problem basis. MJ actually talks about this in his book and I agree with him, given I made that mistake. LOL.

Other than that, if neither of those cases apply to you, just keep going w/ python. No harm in sticking with that.

What you really need to focus on, if you want to work is a programmer, is solving cs problems with whatever language.

Hope this helps.

D

Deleted50669

Why not both? Python and JavaScript aren't terribly different from each other, so once you learn something from one, it'll seem very familiar when you learn the same thing with the other. And Python is a useful skill to have for web design (e.g. Django).

But if you want to learn them serially rather than in parallel, I'd vote for HTML/CSS/JavaScript first. I suppose with Python, you could learn something like scikit-learn and specialize in machine learning or big data, but web design is probably more practical.
I would argue js and python are actually quite different from each other, but they can definitely achieve the same goals (well, js cant do everything python can, lol)

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Keep going with Python if you're starting in the programming industry, to get an understanding of OOP (object oriented programming). Then you can move to other languages like Java or C++ or wherever the wind takes you.

HTML/CSS/JS you can learn in under a week, each. Then a month to become decently competent. There's not a lot to it, if you have to scratch that itch.

Mazzolini

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Feb 13, 2017
Detroit

What would you suggest?

Learn Django!! It’s a super powerful web framework written in python! Instagram and bitbucket use it for their frameworks. Godjango.con

Ethan_Scott

New Contributor
Mar 1, 2018
India
HTML and CSS are the most important if you want to learn web designing.
go for HTML first then CSS after that Advance CSS etc.

TheFunnelExpert

I'll build your next funnel
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Jun 22, 2015
Bengaluru
There is not much to learn in HTML and CSS you need couple of weeks to be good-enough after learning HTML. Once you do that you can learn Python.

If you want to learn Python for web development there are better languages. Python is mostly popular for statistics related work. But you can still use Python for web development.

I haven't followed Python lately. Things might have changed.

Danczyk

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Feb 20, 2019
Belarus
I dont know what I want to build i just want to learn and have a career with it and make cash because I like programming.

How do you know you like programming if you haven't written a code yourself yet? It's all about problem solving, if you don't have the patience to find solutions which you can't find on your tutorials or videos, you will hate your life.

I personally loved python it was so fresh and it was a joy learning it after JS and all those goddamn frameworks.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
A language is just a tool. What problem do you want to solve?

Just answering the question, I'd say go with Python. It's really simple to get started and there are enough features and libraries for it to be a full stack language for prototyping.

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
HTML/CSS is more design than programming. JS/Python is programming and once you learn one of them, the other will be not a big deal to learn. I would say JS is easier, just got much more "wft?" moments. You shouldn't be using them, but it's good to know what they are as that would save you hours of debugging later when you accidentally write any of them.
Python is a much more powerful language, but as many said here it's usage is pretty limited.
With JS you can build web sites of any complexity and even simple phone apps and desktop apps.

My humble opinion: go with HTML/CSS and then JS route, that would give you more opportunities. Transition to Python or any other server-side language once you really need it for solving a problem right in front of you.

zvonimirduric

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 31, 2019
Canada
Go for Python. It is trending nowadays.
One more thing in today's world you should be all-rounder.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
It depends on what are your areas of interest (front-end vs other things). If you like static websites, then HTML/CSS/JS. If you like solving programming problems, then Python.

Python is a better first language to learn than JavaScript, which is convoluted and has a few tricky traps, as well as a Hype-Driven Development ecosystem and community, which is exhausting.

I think both are great options for a career. I would be more inclined towards Python, as Machine Learning is the future. But web front-ends are not going anywhere anytime soon, so there will be a need for JS developers too. Again it depends on your interests.

Jack Hammer

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Sep 19, 2018
I would argue js and python are actually quite different from each other, but they can definitely achieve the same goals (well, js cant do everything python can, lol)
Well, they're a lot closer to each other than either is to, say, Haskell or VHDL.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.