The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

GOLD! I Built A Worldwide Business From Broke.

OP
OP
Carol Jones

Carol Jones

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 5, 2017
Rural Australia
Great example of productocracy. Congrats!
G'day @fastlanedoll from Oz,

Thank you for dropping in!

You're right. We are. In the true definition of @MJ DeMarco in his book, 'Unscripted'. A productocracy. Growing without advertising or marketing. Depending on the recommendations of existing customers. Who refer new customers.

But. It's not for everybody.

It really is hard work.

It requires constant communication with existing customers. Keeping our website relevant for visitors. Creating emails that will keep customers. Who reorder, maybe, once every 3 years. Interested in who we are. And what we're doing.

There are simpler ways to grow a business.

But there is no simpler way to keep existing customers.

It works for us.

And it means we don't need to go on a constant merry chase to find new customers. They find us.

On the other hand. If you want to be an Alibaba. Or Amazon. This is not the path to follow for quick results.

Welcome to The Fastlane Forum. I hope you find what you're looking for in the forum. ~Carol❤

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Mackenzie

New Contributor
Sep 25, 2019
Hi @Carol Jones and everyone,
I hope you’re doing great. Like I promised, I will be writing an update on the decisions I made thanks to you and the M. Fastlane book.
1. I kept the morning pages. It‘s really relaxing. I sometimes write a lot and sometimes a little less. But it’s a super useful tool to know what’s good and what’s not. I hope to finish my red notebook and buy a new color. May be something more interesting, as an artist I love to customize everything.
2. I have also made the decision to make my WordPress/WooCommerce site. It was ok at the start, but the more I worked on the theme the more issues...after 15 days, I reached a point where I was finally proud of my website. But it was really difficult. It’s not 100% done, but the base of the pyramid is finally correctly built. Now, it will give me independence from Etsy and I will make an easier professional growth. Now it looks like I’m doing serious business, which is very important. I spend long hours doing my designs, so being taking seriously is MAJOR!
3. Father wise, I made some progress. I understood that if I’m contently angry at him, it makes him more alive in my mind and inside me. Which takes away my focus. Moreover, it makes me more linked to him, while I wanna break free. So that is major too. I’m glad I finally understood this!
4. Finally, I have been good keeping up with my yoga. I have a bad neck, because I work too much at my desk. But I’m an athletic person, so I need to do my yoga and play some tennis once week. So far so good, but I know it won’t be perfect. So that is a learning curve too. I can’t expect myself to be at 100% at the start. So I take baby steps, without being lazy.

Voila, I can’t wait to read more of your comments and everyone else’s. I have taken some decisions, not drastic, but good enough to stir the ship in the right direction. :)
I hope all is well on your side,
Thanks,
Mac

OP
OP
Carol Jones

Carol Jones

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 5, 2017
Rural Australia
Hi @Carol Jones and everyone,
I hope you’re doing great. Like I promised, I will be writing an update on the decisions I made thanks to you and the M. Fastlane book.
1. I kept the morning pages. It‘s really relaxing. I sometimes write a lot and sometimes a little less. But it’s a super useful tool to know what’s good and what’s not. I hope to finish my red notebook and buy a new color. May be something more interesting, as an artist I love to customize everything.
2. I have also made the decision to make my WordPress/WooCommerce site. It was ok at the start, but the more I worked on the theme the more issues...after 15 days, I reached a point where I was finally proud of my website. But it was really difficult. It’s not 100% done, but the base of the pyramid is finally correctly built. Now, it will give me independence from Etsy and I will make an easier professional growth. Now it looks like I’m doing serious business, which is very important. I spend long hours doing my designs, so being taking seriously is MAJOR!
3. Father wise, I made some progress. I understood that if I’m contently angry at him, it makes him more alive in my mind and inside me. Which takes away my focus. Moreover, it makes me more linked to him, while I wanna break free. So that is major too. I’m glad I finally understood this!
4. Finally, I have been good keeping up with my yoga. I have a bad neck, because I work too much at my desk. But I’m an athletic person, so I need to do my yoga and play some tennis once week. So far so good, but I know it won’t be perfect. So that is a learning curve too. I can’t expect myself to be at 100% at the start. So I take baby steps, without being lazy.

Voila, I can’t wait to read more of your comments and everyone else’s. I have taken some decisions, not drastic, but good enough to stir the ship in the right direction. :)
I hope all is well on your side,
Thanks,
Mac
G'day Mac @Mackenzie from Oz,

We have a tendency to trivialise our achievements.

Your comment:

"I have taken some decisions, not drastic, but good enough to stir the ship in the right direction".

I'm on the outside. Looking in, Mac. And this is what I see.

1. Your Morning Pages are cathartic. And transformative.

On another forum I participate in. Morning Pages is a hot topic. And the resistance from non-converts is astonishing.

Your acknowledgement: "...it’s a super useful tool to know what’s good and what’s not".

Is a big step forward in understanding where you've come from. And where you want to be.

2. Committing to creating a WooCommerce site is challenging. And not something many people would be prepared to take on. I know. I've created several shopping carts. And it's not something I look forward to doing again.

But.

This comment sets you apart from most people who want maximum results from minimum input.

"Now it looks like I’m doing serious business, which is very important. I spend long hours doing my designs, so being taking seriously is MAJOR!"

Presence. Perception. Positioning. Is everything in business. Too many people just don't get that. You do. You should be very proud of this realisation.

3. Finally separating yourself from the anger and mayhem your father causes in your life.

"I wanna break free. . . . I’m glad I finally understood this!"

People go through their entire lives never being able to do that.

Extra kudos to you for this breakthrough.

This isn't a trivial achievement. This is. As you say. "Major"!

4. Keeping yourself fit and healthy. Because you recognise that in order to keep designing. You need to make sure your neck is up to the task!

Musicians face the same problem. Especially violin players.

As an outsider. Looking in. I consider these to be very significant breakthroughs. In a very short period of time.

You're on your way to serious success, Mac. I'm in awe of the many steps you've taken to unshackle yourself from inertia.

Keep writing your Morning Pages. It will be a book one day. Everyone loves reading about how people triumph over adversity. And it gives you a history of where you came from. And how much you've achieved.

'Our story. How We Built A Worldwide Business From Broke.' Is my collection of blog posts that I wrote over a number of years. I didn't know about Morning Pages then. But it's the second most popular page on my website.

And.

I'm always amazed at how many customers tell me they've read it.

And.

How much that story influenced them to choose us. Over other companies they were considering making a purchase from.

Over time. You'll find a way to turn your Morning Pages into something similar on your website. Customers love to get to know the person behind the company.

Be proud of what you've achieved so far, Mac. It really is inspirational! ~Carol❤

Last edited:

Mackenzie

New Contributor
Sep 25, 2019
Hi @Carol Jones and thanks again for your great reply! :)

I read your reply and kept thinking about it for a day or so.
I too wanted to look at myself from a none judgmental eye. I can say that I'm happy with where I am right now. It takes a lot of work and courage for sure. The issue why I don't say to myself: "you did great!" more often, is because I'm want things to work like a machine. But I'm human, so that's impossible. :) I'm cutting myself more slack, but I also don't wanna be too chilled either. I guess it will take time for anyone to find their balance. I guess it's like juggling, with no practice and no balance stuff falls off. However, when stuff does fall, I'm learning to get back on track. And that's the most important part. It's hard, because I think we are all our worst critics. But I definitely wanna change that.

The woocommerce took about two weeks and half. I worked none stop and didn't do much creative work. It was really draining, but I looked at the my goal and said:"it must be done". Yesterday, when I finally finished, I literary crashed. I was dead tired. Since yesterday, I took some time off to recharge and kept visualizing what I will create next and what I had to do. It is exciting, but overwhelming too. Which made me realize, I had to organize myself now that my site was done. I have no idea where to start, but I will do some research and see. If you have any suggestion, pls feel free to share :).

About my morning pages, I never thought that I could share them someday to my customers. I'm a pretty discrete person, I'm always hiding behind my work lol (literally). But, I know I wanna tell my story one day. There's so much to tell...I'm thinking about it for sure!

Other than that, thanks so much for ALL you have said! It made me feel so much more motivated. Trust me, I'm proud of what I achieved so far. Slowly and with the right habits, I will reach my goals! :D

Cheers,

Sonia aka Mac :)

OP
OP
Carol Jones

Carol Jones

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 5, 2017
Rural Australia
Hi @Carol Jones and thanks again for your great reply! :)

I read your reply and kept thinking about it for a day or so.
I too wanted to look at myself from a none judgmental eye. I can say that I'm happy with where I am right now. It takes a lot of work and courage for sure. The issue why I don't say to myself: "you did great!" more often, is because I'm want things to work like a machine. But I'm human, so that's impossible. :) I'm cutting myself more slack, but I also don't wanna be too chilled either. I guess it will take time for anyone to find their balance. I guess it's like juggling, with no practice and no balance stuff falls off. However, when stuff does fall, I'm learning to get back on track. And that's the most important part. It's hard, because I think we are all our worst critics. But I definitely wanna change that.

The woocommerce took about two weeks and half. I worked none stop and didn't do much creative work. It was really draining, but I looked at the my goal and said:"it must be done". Yesterday, when I finally finished, I literary crashed. I was dead tired. Since yesterday, I took some time off to recharge and kept visualizing what I will create next and what I had to do. It is exciting, but overwhelming too. Which made me realize, I had to organize myself now that my site was done. I have no idea where to start, but I will do some research and see. If you have any suggestion, pls feel free to share :).

About my morning pages, I never thought that I could share them someday to my customers. I'm a pretty discrete person, I'm always hiding behind my work lol (literally). But, I know I wanna tell my story one day. There's so much to tell...I'm thinking about it for sure!

Other than that, thanks so much for ALL you have said! It made me feel so much more motivated. Trust me, I'm proud of what I achieved so far. Slowly and with the right habits, I will reach my goals! :D

Cheers,

Sonia aka Mac :)

G'day again Sonia @Mackenzie,

Being happy where you are. And celebrating small triumphs. Are two different events.

When I first started this business. My new accountant told me that at the end of every month. If I made one cent more than my expenses. I made a profit. And it needed to be celebrated. And recognised as an achievement.

At the same time.

No one in business would be happy where they are. If all they did was make one cent more than their expenses every month.

But the achievement. In itself. Is motivating. And spurs us on to do better next month.

Celebrating small triumphs also changes the chemical balance in our brain.

It releases hormones in our brain that make us happier.

It's often been said that perhaps we can't have a money tree. But we can have our own happiness tree. We can do things that trigger the release of chemicals in our brain that have a positive effect on our well-being.

I'm sure you will tell your story one day. With discretion being the modus operandi. People don't need to know all the details. But how you got from A to B is always interesting to people who do business with you.

So those Morning Pages are important to keep up. Because. We do forget the details.

When I read what I wrote years ago. I'm amazed at how much I've forgotten.

Have you ever wondered how all those details in autobiographies people write are remembered?

They're not.

These are people who kept copious diaries all their life. And what they wrote triggered the memories that become the details.

I hope we stay in touch, Sonia. And best wishes for the future. Which is a bright one for you. ~Carol❤

Reactions: Roz

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom