The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

EXECUTION Huge customer filed chapter 11 bankruptcy!!!!!

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Today, I think one of my mistakes has caught up with me.

When I first got into software, I wanted to build a product that had higher scale and medium magnitude. Not too much invested into each customer - maybe $100 subscription per month x 180 customers in the first year. Instead, I ended up slowly finding my way into deep relationships with customers, with 5 customers paying $13,000 per month.

I always thought - WOW, I am investing lots of time into a few of these customers. What if one or two of them goes under? Well - the parent company that owns TWO of my biggest customers (68% of revenue) just filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

I am not sure how this will affect my customers, as they are owned by a parent company, which is then owned by the company filing bankruptcy. The press release says they are not laying off employees and will pay all suppliers.

We will see how this unfolds - but this is a kick in the pants. I have been spending money like a bit of an idiot, have been expensing lots of meals and travel, and haven't diversified outside of the industry like I should.

STAY TUNED!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 27, 2013
United States
Sucks man!

Tough lesson to learn.

It's one of those things that you know in the back of your mind "could" happen... but when it does, it stings.

You'll bounce back, and you'll be smarter this time.

WJK

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 9, 2017
Nikiski, Alaska
Today, I think one of my mistakes has caught up with me.

When I first got into software, I wanted to build a product that had higher scale and medium magnitude. Not too much invested into each customer - maybe $100 subscription per month x 180 customers in the first year. Instead, I ended up slowly finding my way into deep relationships with customers, with 5 customers paying $13,000 per month.

I always thought - WOW, I am investing lots of time into a few of these customers. What if one or two of them goes under? Well - the parent company that owns TWO of my biggest customers (68% of revenue) just filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

I am not sure how this will affect my customers, as they are owned by a parent company, which is then owned by the company filing bankruptcy. The press release says they are not laying off employees and will pay all suppliers.

We will see how this unfolds - but this is a kick in the pants. I have been spending money like a bit of an idiot, have been expensing lots of meals and travel, and haven't diversified outside of the industry like I should.

STAY TUNED!
Now you know, and don't forget! This is a lessons that many of us has learned the hard way.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom