The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to structure without knowing founders' potential value?

_davis_smith

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 4, 2018
Hey everyone,

So I thought I'd reach out to anyone in here that knows more about structuring businesses more than I do.

We're a group of 4 young guys (20-25 years old), and we're all working to create an interactive educational platform for blockchain development.

Since we're going to be starting out primarily as a content/educational site, we don't really have any assets to protect, so we won't really be liable for much.

Right now, the CEO and I are unsure how much each member will end up contributing in the long run. One member is a developer that can be replaced easily, in my opinion. The other has a great network in our field, and some valuable knowledge regarding the industry - but not many skills of great value once we begin pushing towards higher quality work.

How do we go about structuring the business in a way that doesn't leave anyone feeling like they aren't valued, yet protect ourselves from wasting equity and resources on a member that is eventually not worth their weight?

We're thinking we're going to structure as an LLC with each person receiving percentage in equity, and then restructure to a C corp if we get funding from any investors.

Should we succeed in getting that far, are there any vesting schedules or options that can help us prepare down the road?

We just want to protect everyone's best interests, including the other members if either the CEO or I ever decided to leave the project early.

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.