• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Can't Hurt Me, by Goggins

How to structure without knowing founders' potential value?

Discussion in 'Asset Protection/Taxes/Legal' started by _davis_smith, Jun 19, 2018.

1. _davis_smith

_davis_smith New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $42
    Hey everyone,

So I thought I'd reach out to anyone in here that knows more about structuring businesses more than I do.

We're a group of 4 young guys (20-25 years old), and we're all working to create an interactive educational platform for blockchain development.

Since we're going to be starting out primarily as a content/educational site, we don't really have any assets to protect, so we won't really be liable for much.

Right now, the CEO and I are unsure how much each member will end up contributing in the long run. One member is a developer that can be replaced easily, in my opinion. The other has a great network in our field, and some valuable knowledge regarding the industry - but not many skills of great value once we begin pushing towards higher quality work.

How do we go about structuring the business in a way that doesn't leave anyone feeling like they aren't valued, yet protect ourselves from wasting equity and resources on a member that is eventually not worth their weight?

We're thinking we're going to structure as an LLC with each person receiving percentage in equity, and then restructure to a C corp if we get funding from any investors.

Should we succeed in getting that far, are there any vesting schedules or options that can help us prepare down the road?

We just want to protect everyone's best interests, including the other members if either the CEO or I ever decided to leave the project early.

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. LynetteP

LynetteP This will be car photo when I get a rocket again Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $686
    This was suggested to me as a starting point:
    Perfect Equity Splits for Bootstrapped Startups
    I haven't gone through it all- HTH at least a bit!

3. LittleWolfie

LittleWolfie Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $530
    You might find the slicing pie book useful.

LynetteP likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.